Eyes

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

Too late to edit my last comment – it appears to me that eye color is roughly 50-50 blue eyes vs other color eyes.

VS
      Participant

I agree that the eyes should compliment an accent color on the dragon. I want it to be noticeable but not clashing. To me red eyes on a red dragon just are too much of the same. Likewise red eyes on a green dragon are a big clash if there’s not even a hint of orange. My sand tiger bantams have the blue eyes as light or dark to match the blue wings which looks perfect to me. But I usually love my dragons more for their paint work than their eyes.

Still, I admit part of what sold me on the “alien dragon” was his eerie almost black eyes complimenting his almost spooky black, red and gold colors. He’s a good example of how eyes can make a big difference in how a dragon looks!

I felt the poll done on FB was pretty cool. You could see how different eyes looked in the new dragon color and it really did help the overall appeal.

Kujacker
        Participant

Another answer to your question, of course, is that Windstone has made a number of colors that don’t have blue eyes. Some are retired and some are not in stock at the moment:
          the original green dragons have orange eyes
          Ruby dragons – red eyes
          Emerald – red eyes (or rarely orange eyes in older dragons)
          Gold – red eyes
          The oldest Copper Patina dragons have red eyes
          Violet Flame – red eyes
          Red fire – gold eyes
          white – yellow eyes
          Amethyst – orange eyes
          Lavender Pearl – lavender eyes
          Elven – silver eyes
          Shell Pink – silver eyes
          Stone – tan eyes

What have I forgotten?
          Ebay is the best place to find many of these colors. It does take patience (and sometimes a lot of money).

First batch Blue Pearl had straw eyes until they, of course, changed them to blue eyes.

Problem is, even with 50/50, when blue is 50% of the eye color that’s still a huge difference. The other 50%, divided by your list here (8 colors), is about 6% per color. 6% chance of getting, say, red eyes verses a 50% chance to get blue. Hmm yeah not good odds unless you like blue.
          Now also remember that windstone makes a total of 20 eye colors (excluding blues, but including teals and periwinkles) I think. So really, it’s about 2% of getting any specific color (in my above example, red).
          (Now maths and I are not friends, so if I’m incorrect then someone can correct me).

I’m not all that picky with eye colors, just no blue! However gray is my favorite eye color and pft, I don’t think any ebay piece has ever has gray eyes? And certainly no production piece. I was lucky enough to get a black/rainbow scratcher that has metallic silver eyes. Not gray, but close enough I suppose.

pipsxlch
          Participant

Too bad they can’t do a poll here where we can all see it. Don’t know if the software would let them though.

Ela_Hara
            Participant

I really like blue eyes when it coordinates really well with the color scheme. Although it would be nice if the color scheme looks equally good with a few eye colors, and blue is one of them, that they maybe opt for a different color than default to blue. For example the old Peacock looks fantastic with blue eyes, but the Black Violet Peacock would have looked equally great with green eyes (maybe better) instead of blue.

The Black Gold color scheme I love except for the blue eyes, especially since there are no other blue accents on this scheme. I feel the blue eyes don’t connect with the colors and that the Black Gold would have looked really great with light red eyes to bring out the red in the dragons’ wings. The blue eyes the only reason I don’t get a Black Gold dragon.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
              Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
              Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
              *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Nightcrow
              Participant

I’m another one who initially didn’t mind them but finds blue eyes really repetitive at this point. (I also don’t have a Black Gold Lap in my conga because of the blue eyes; if it had metallic gold or purple eyes, I’d probably go for it.)

My Lap dragon conga, by eye color:
                Blue – 9
                Red – 3
                Silver – 2
                and 1 each of – orange, lavender, yellow, tan, & teal.

Considering this conga has a literal rainbow of body colors (and only *one* truly blue dragon), the eye color ratio seems a little unbalanced. I want their eyes to be as varied as their scales! 🙂

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

pipsxlch
                Participant

You know, there have been very few green eyes now that you mention it.

etruscan
                  Participant

You’re right. Green eyes are rare. I have two test paint Emperors by P.S. with green eyes. I like the color schemes but the eyes are what really inspired me to bid on the dragons.

GardenNinja
                    Participant

I love the green eyes on the Terracotta dragons. I tried to get all the dragon sculpts I collect in Terracotta, but missed out on the Old Warrior.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

Green eyes are my second favorite after Plum. Are there any Production sculpts that have green eyes?
                        I believe I’ve only seen green eyes on Grab Bags or some eBay pieces. Any other green eyed pieces I have seen or have are PYO’s.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Gem
                        Participant

Ela_hara -Woodland female hearth dragon has lovely green eyes!

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

In addition to blue eyes selling well back in the brick-and-mortar store days, I seem to recall Melody saying that the Windstone crew often just preferred them in many pieces. There is probably a psychological aspect to this too. There was a good Ask Melody (or maybe more than one!) about this years ago, but alas, our forum is no longer an easy thing to search!! Especially topics that were created before the most current forum migration.

Too bad they can’t do a poll here where we can all see it. Don’t know if the software would let them though.

I don’t know if it can be done on this site, but it’s easy and free to set up a survey via Google forms. I use them when I need to do a survey/poll on something. https://www.google.com/forms/about/

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.