Eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Just wondering why majority of the dragon eyes are blue? Is it possible to get the other colors that are available on the PYO? just floating this out in space….discuss

Setsunawolf
    Participant

You have a choice of eye color for PYOs. I’ve always assumed that eye color choice on the TPS was artists discretion. There have been a few eBay pieces where the buyer got to choose eye color after the auction was over. I have one of those griffins, but I liked the dark Smokey blue, so he has blue eyes. Most of Olympia Carpathia’s pieces had dicrotic eyes.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

etruscan
      Participant

There is a group of us who dislike the blue eyes, or at least prefer other colors. However, if I remember correctly, Melody has said that dragons with blue eyes sell best. I expect that she is right.

Setsunawolf
        Participant

That would make sense why blue eye tend to dominate. I really like the blue eyes, so it’s never bothered me. At the end of the day we want Windstone to sell, sell, sell.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Megan
          Participant

I’ve always adored the orange eyes on the original green and red fire color schemes. Black gold is an amazing color scheme and I’m very fond of it, but I sometimes look at my BG emperor and think “wow, if only they had orange or purple eyes instead of blue…” Probably a good thing they don’t, or I’d try to get the whole BG lineup!

The tan eyes in the new stone color dragons really speak to me, too 🙂

Setsunawolf
            Participant

I might have bought a BG OW with purple eyes, but orange would have turned me off. The blue eyes really tie in the cool colorscape of BG for me. Technically BG uses warmer colors, but he’s always seemed like a cooler color red dragon….maybe because his colors are muted.

I have a few orange eyed pieces, but not many. This is really interesting. I’ve never thought about color preference before, I just buy what I like.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Courtney
              Participant

I have begun to shy away from blue eyes simply because there are so many of them.

I want all of my items of similar sculpt to have different eye colors (grab bags).

At one point I had 6 Bantam dragons and 3 had the same blue eyes (2 normal colored tigers of different types and one mystery rainbow tiger) and I traded two for different colors.

I had 2 GBW Ori dragons with identical blue eyes and ended up trading one.

Blue eyes are gorgeous but they’re so common it sometimes looks a little repetitive when you look in your case and half your pieces have blue eyes (again, not as a family set but as random grab bag items).

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Kujacker
                Participant

I’m in the “dislike/extremely tired of seeing blue eyes” club. At first I didn’t mind them, but then I started downright hating them. I now actively avoid sculptures with blue eyes and will not purchase a sculpture if they have any color of blue eyes.

Black gold is my favorite color scheme, but I hate that they have blue eyes. I remember Melody saying something that the first BG test paint was done on a dragon that was previously painted, that already had blue eyes attached (due to whatever he was painted beforehand) and that’s why the BG have blue eyes. Sorry, but that’s an awful reason, in my opinion, to give them blue eyes when pretty much any other color would have suited them better.

But if blue eyes sell best, I cannot fault windstone for that. Saves me a helluva lotta money too 🙂

Courtney
                  Participant

I have very good luck at trading stuff I have with blue yes so it must be true that they are generally popular.

I don’t mind ending up with a blue eyed grab bag because it usually means I can trade it for something more specific I want 😁

So it looks like it all works out in the end.

I remember seeing somewhere on here that someone swapped their ponycorns eyes out for a different color at home.

Does this put the sculpt in the same category as a repaint? Is this something we can do without harming the piece or decreasing its value?

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Setsunawolf
                    Participant

If you modify a piece like that I would consider it altered and thus not worth as much as a sculpture in its original condition. This would also hold true for insurance purposes. However, if it’s your piece and you don’t intend to part with it what you do to it is your business. Something like should be disclosed though at a sale because it is no longer the way it was produced at the factory.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Changing eyes certainly doesnt equate to repaint status but perhaps such an alteration would bring it to modified/repaired status. It would depend on the collector and whether or not they care, but it should be disclosed upon resale.

That being said, I expect there is no way to really track eye swaps in grab bag pieces. Production and ebay pieces are easier, but back in the day you actually got your eye choice on ebay items (I actually have a hippogriff candlelamp I got bi-eyed) because I liked both the teal and the yellow eyes so we did one of each lol.

I dont care if eyes get changed out personally, just as long as the person doesn’t damage the eye socket on the process. I’d expect it to decrease the value however. I also expect different collectors will have different opinions on the matter.

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

merrillannwhite
                        Participant

I know I have also read about someone removing and replacing an eye before because it was set a bit off. I think they used a drop of water to soften the glue. There is still the potential to damage the piece though. I agree about the BG dragons though. They would look better with red, orange, purple or gold eyes. That being said, I think the violet flame would look better with blue eyes that matched the blue antiquing in the violet areas. I feel like it would make the color stand out more.

pipsxlch
                          Participant

This. I wanted to really like black gold, but the blue eyes just did NOT work with that scheme for me. Red, orange or gold would work better I think. And royal blue eyes would have been stunning on the violet flames. I’d like that shade rather than the so-common mid blue.

I’m not a blue hater (though maybe some other shades of blue can get some love sometime? it would still be blue if that’s what sells best) but I will admit to in general preferring orange, red or gold on dragons- they seem more ‘real’ reptilian colors. It all really depends on the paint scheme though.

I think letting the buyer choose the eye color ended up being too much work they said, besides risking damage to an already sold piece.

Maybe they can ask for votes on eye color along with names if/when they show new test paints?

etruscan
                            Participant

Gina actually did an eye color poll on Facebook for the “Cosmic Rust” dragons. These are the results:

light turquoise metallic – 46 votes
                              metallic silver – 28 votes
                              metallic orange – 20 votes
                              light yellow metallic – 11 votes
                              medium metallic blue – 7 votes
                              aqua metallic – 6 votes
                              dark green – 4 votes
                              light red – 3 votes
                              dark red – 3 votes
                              dark metallic silver – 2 votes
                              light green – 2 votes
                              metallic tan – no votes

Gina said that Facebook has made it harder to do polls and she probably won’t do it again.

etruscan
                              Participant

Another answer to your question, of course, is that Windstone has made a number of colors that don’t have blue eyes. Some are retired and some are not in stock at the moment:
                                the original green dragons have orange eyes
                                Ruby dragons – red eyes
                                Emerald – red eyes (or rarely orange eyes in older dragons)
                                Gold – red eyes
                                The oldest Copper Patina dragons have red eyes
                                Violet Flame – red eyes
                                Red fire – gold eyes
                                white – yellow eyes
                                Amethyst – orange eyes
                                Lavender Pearl – lavender eyes
                                Elven – silver eyes
                                Shell Pink – silver eyes
                                Stone – tan eyes

What have I forgotten?
                                Ebay is the best place to find many of these colors. It does take patience (and sometimes a lot of money).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.