fbpx

Eragon

Home Forums Miscellany Community Eragon

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    SPark
    Participant

I don’t like the audiobooks where the reader does voices. I prefer it when they just read it all in the same, natural voice. With good, exciting, dramatic inflections and all, but without trying to do “characters.” That way it sounds like somebody just reading the book to you, and not like one person trying and failing to do a full cast dramatization of it.

But generally I’d rather just read it myself. I only use audiobooks when doing something that makes it impossible to read, that’s really boring. Like when I used to do factory work assembling eyeglass holders. Most boring job ever! I went through a lot of audiobooks at that job.

When it comes to audiobooks, the reader can make or break the story. I’ve had several books ruined by readers, like American Gods and Inkheart, while others were a pure joy to listen to. My favorite readers are Brendon Fraser (who read Dragonrider and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke) and Frank Muller, who read several Stephen King books, and Tim Curry, who reads Garth Nix’s Abhorsen books.

I kinda live on audiobooks since I spend so much time doing art or doing detail work during the xmas rush. I have a subscription to Audible.com, its such a bargain!

I loathe how the dude who read Eragon did Sapphira’s voice. Awful! Ugly!

Akeyla
      Participant

Inkspell got translated? cool πŸ™‚
        I was not quite fond of the end. Bway, number 2 is out, Tintenblut (Inklbood, Inkspell was Tintenherz in German AKA Inkheart).
        hmmm… must try audios, I liked them as a kid but at some point I got a really horrible example that imprinted into my brain/ears and made me stop trying it. Gonna check audible πŸ™‚

Inkheart and Inkspell were translated! Chessie read Inkheart in German…took her a while, but she did it! She was able to tell me differences in the name, like how Magic tongue became Silvertongue in the English version.

The person who read Inkheart was not so good. Blegh.

Arlla
        Participant

vantid wrote:

When it comes to audiobooks, the reader can make or break the story. I’ve had several books ruined by readers, like American Gods and Inkheart, while others were a pure joy to listen to. My favorite readers are Brendon Fraser (who read Dragonrider and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke) and Frank Muller, who read several Stephen King books, and Tim Curry, who reads Garth Nix’s Abhorsen books.

I kinda live on audiobooks since I spend so much time doing art or doing detail work during the xmas rush. I have a subscription to Audible.com, its such a bargain!

LOL! We listened to Dragonrider – I just couldn’t take it seriously when Bredon Fraser did the homunculus’s voice with a lisp!! (Is he written that way, with the lisp?) But Tim Curry is GOD and if he reads the Abhorsen trilogy I may just be motivated enough to listen to the second and third book…I read the first one and didn’t like much of anything but the cover art.
          Yes, the reader for Eragon made Saphira sound like Ludo from the movie the Labyrinth. ICKY!!

I’m not a huge fan of audiobooks, but my fiance is… they’re nice to listen to as you fall asleep sometimes, or for long car trips. It’s true that a lot hangs on the reader in terms of your enjoyment. But as a general rule, I prefer to read books myself.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
          -J R R Tolkien

Akeyla wrote:

Inkspell got translated? cool πŸ™‚
          I was not quite fond of the end. Bway, number 2 is out, Tintenblut (Inklbood, Inkspell was Tintenherz in German AKA Inkheart).
          hmmm… must try audios, I liked them as a kid but at some point I got a really horrible example that imprinted into my brain/ears and made me stop trying it. Gonna check audible πŸ™‚

I thought they translated Tintenblut to Inkspell? I remember someone mentioning that somewhere, that it was odd how they changed the name… especially since Inkblood would be a way cooler title. I could be wrong though. Hehe.

Also, Vantid! You listened to the Abhorsen trilogy??? Just the other day I was asking you about it and you said you hadn’t! Tsk…

SPark wrote:

Birth of the Firebringer (which is QUITE original, while still having a very classic fantasy plotline) was written when the author was young, though published later on. It’s one of my favorite books ever. Not very long, but very interesting. And the sequels are pretty good too.

Fantastic. I’ll get that one next time I need something to read! (There’s a pile stacked up here, it’s threatening to take over my desk…) It sounds neat, and there’s a UNICORN on the cover! That’s a must-buy if I ever saw one. “Don’t judge a book by its cover”-crap be darned! πŸ˜€

SPark
          Participant

Even better is that the whole book is all about unicorns. All the main characters are unicorns. In the first book no humans of any kind turn up, though there are some in the second one. I first read it during my “totally obsessed with equines” phase, and loved it for the unicorns, but even now that I’ve moved on from that, I still love the books.

vantid wrote:

I really like Jim Daly who does the Harry Potter. He also did Peter and the Starcatchers but he uses some of the same voices which threw me off for awhile. And I forget who did the Lord of the Rings but he was great – those are good for really, really car rides. I know a woman who after she lost her German shepherd just laid on her couch for days listening to the CDs.

Birth of the Firebringer!!! I read that in Junior High- don’t remember much about it other than it was curious. I think I liked it though!

You know, I usually have trouble swallowing personified animals, but when it’s done well, it’s still very enjoyable.

There is an audiotape of LOTR that was read like a radio show… it’s not an exact reading of the book (some parts were cut out here and there), but it was AWESOME. They had a different actor read each character. I think the guy who played Bilbo in the Jackson movies was the guy who did the voice for Frodo–dude, what’s his name? I am having a serious brain fart here. Anyway, it’s just a joy to listen to, and Gollum is the BEST.

I think one of my friends has that version. She was stuck on one of the bridges going into NYC once for 2 hours because of an accident and was listening to it. She said the only reason she didn’t completely loose her mind was because she was so caught up with LOTR. Everyone around her was honking and getting out and pacing up and down and there she sat in the car!

As an aside – how can they not have Peter Jackson direct The Hobbit???!!!! I was horrified when I saw that they were looking for another director. Although it seems a lot of people had the exact same reaction so there may be hope.

Bob

I had not heard that they are making the Hobbit as well!! Happy happy joy joy!!

littleironhorse
              Participant

SPark wrote:

Even better is that the whole book is all about unicorns. All the main characters are unicorns. In the first book no humans of any kind turn up, though there are some in the second one. I first read it during my “totally obsessed with equines” phase, and loved it for the unicorns, but even now that I’ve moved on from that, I still love the books.

How can you possibly move on from that! Impossible! πŸ˜‰

vantid wrote:

When it comes to audiobooks, the reader can make or break the story. I’ve had several books ruined by readers, like American Gods

Thanks for mentioning that, because I read the book and liked it – I’d have hated to get the book on tape and hated it. That said, the only books on tape I’ve ever heard are the Red Dwarf series, read by Chris Barrie (who is a talented voice mimic to begin with).

For a dragon fan, I’m a bit ashamed to say I’ve looked at the Eragon book and thought “Oh, look, a teenager’s written Dragonriders of Pern and not gotten sued!” … so I haven’t read it yet.

I’m hoping to get the first book in the Temeraire series for Christmas (or shortly thereafter…) and I love Lackey’s Joust series, though. I’d like to see Joust made into a film, though I don’t think it’d ever be that popular.

SPark
                Participant

littleironhorse wrote:

SPark wrote:

How can you possibly move on from that! Impossible! πŸ˜‰

Bcause I discovered dragons, which are MUCH neater than horses.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.