fbpx

Enter into the World of Windstone…

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Enter into the World of Windstone…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    darjeb
    Participant

The year was 1985 and I had never heard of Windstones until I was visiting a friend of mine and he showed me what his daughter has given him for Christmas -brown male and female Windstone dragons. I immediately fell in love with them and went looking for them for myself. A few months later I was on a group trip to St. Louis, MO and found a shop near the waterfront that had all 3 colors. Of course, I bought the brown pair and held them all the way back to KC,MO so they wouldn’t get broken.

Falcolf
      Participant

My story’s a lot like dragonlove’s – I never liked dragons until I saw Melody’s. I seriously, honestly thought that all the dragons I had seen before that day were the stupidest and most illogical things ever, NONE of them matching my kiddish ideal of what I thought a dragon looked like until that day in the mall when I first looked upon a Windstone dragon and I remember being practically entranced by its beauty and jaw dropping, nigh perfect anatomy which all the other dragons I had ever seen lacked. I was really young – maybe grade four or five? I can’t remember what dragons I was looking at but the ones I best remember seeing were the peacocks, the rubies and the emeralds, then later the golds. I loved going into that gift shop in my mall just to see the dragons and I’m pretty sad that they don’t carry Windstones any more. I asked them why and they said something like they don’t have a supplier. Bah! But anyway, after I saw Melody’s dragons I knew that perfect dragons could exist and I had a better idea of what I thought mine should look like. I can definitely, without a doubt say that Windstone and Melody were the original inspiration for the way I draw dragons and how many of them live in the fantasy world of my manuscripts and how dragons are my favourite fantastic animal now. I think it was about 2011 when I saw Melody on deviantART and found this forum – wow what an amazing discovery that was for me! I had no idea about all the ways that Windstones could be painted, or PYOs or anything. I still haven’t got a dragon, that remains a pipe dream, but I have two pebble wolves Boone (grab bag) and Atari (Quest #9) and I know my collection will grow. I never get tired of looking at all the pretty Windstones here on this site or this forum, which is the only one I have ever found myself coming back to. I will forever be grateful to Windstone and Melody for inspiring myself as a little girl to love dragons!

Oh, and for years I had a little Windstone booklet catalogue too! I hope I still have it – I used to keep it on my bedside and occasionally open it to drool over all the pretty Windstones. I loved that thing – I couldn’t have a Windstone then BUT I could have pictures of them!

EDIT: Thanks to Scenceable I now have two beautiful dragons! Pipe dream achieved! 😀

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Bodine
        Participant

My first encounter with Windstones was at the local mall,Wicks’n’Sticks had some.I just stood there looking at them.There were a few,a white grand which I drooled over,different colored big ones and a white Mother Coiled.She was the smallest sculpture there but she just shined at me so I put her in layaway and got her for myself Mother’s Day in 1998.I didn’t get another,due to prices and low paying job,kids to raise,you know,priorities.My son came to visit in 2005 and got me my rainbow Young as a gift.Again it was a few years,no new Windstones.One day,in early 2009,a friend and I decided to check out Ebay,talked about my dragons so we looked them up.Well,needless to say,got me! I bought the old brown family as a set and was hooked when they all arrived safely and there were so many more there and now I could afford them.Then I found the website and no stopping me now.Since ’09,I have collected around 200 but have given at least 60 pieces away as gifts so now I currently have over 130.
          I have always been a lover of fantasy and dragons.I don’t remember my first dragon that awakened such a love for them but I do know the first book that was burned into my memory with my first dragon love and that is “Smaug”from The Hobbit way back in the early 70’s.I read all I could for years and collected little pewter dragons along the way but since I found Ms.Melody’s work,almost all other dragon figurines have become obsolete.Nothing compares.I do have a couple of fabulous pewter dragons that have a forever home but other than that nothing compares.No matter how many come into my home I am still always in awe of the work that was put into them and beauty of them all.I think their facial expressions have a lot to do with it.Their mannerisms of true life they all have.All very appealing to my eyes and I never tire of looking at them.Sometimes little short stories swirl around in my head coming to life when I get in the “zone”with them all around me.I hate them being packed away and can’t wait to bring them all out to sit in their proper places around here again.They are missed. 🙁
          Are we weird or what? 😀

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

WolfenMachine
          Participant

Like a lot of you, I first fell in love with Windstones as a kid. I was in middle school and there was a store in my local mall called Ashley Avery’s. EVERY single time we passed by that store I’d veer away from my parents and go stare at the peacock dragons. They had the male, mother, young, and a ruby scratcher. I loved that ruby scratcher dearly! I saw a picture of the rising spectral and although the shop never carried one, I always thought that dragon looked like a mystic, some kind of healer, rising out of the mists. I would always ask for that ruby scratcher for Christmas, but usually there was something else expensive I wanted and it came down to “well do you want THIS or the dragon?” and usually I’d want the game system or the graphics scanner/wacom tablet and such (because Graphic Design used to be my LIFE and my biggest hobby). I thought I’d never own one so I had my friend draw me a picture of a male dragon in peacock. He’s gorgeous! She is a talanted artist.

Time passed and by 2006 I was in college. I was on the My Little Pony Trading Post when Whippetluv posted a PYO Griffin she had done. “Hmm. Windstone Editions. Those are those dragons I liked!” I went to the website, lookin for a foum and there wasn’t one yet. I found a family of old green dragons…2 males, a mother and a hatcher on ebay for $120 total. It was a lot, but I justified it by saying that EACH dragon wasn’t expensive and I could sell the extra male dragon. I was thrilled to get this giant box. I was very lucky that the seller packed them all so well, because they came from California to Texas with no damage-4 dragons in one box. That same week, the forum opened and I was one of the first few members on the first day it opened. I later traded the old green male for a white male dragon and my little dragon family lived on my chest of drawers.

There was a shop going out of business and someone on the forum told us all about it. I got my white grand unicorn for less than $100 (this was all before the 15% price increase around 2007/2008 too when Windstones were cheaper) a ruby old warrior for maybe $75, and a gorgeous damaged stripey male griffin for $100 (although perfect condition stripey ones were selling for $350 and VERY rare).

Well now I have over 150 Windstones and am out of room to display them all >.< ALL of my original dragons have since found other homes. I've sold about 50+ and am always swapping things out, selling something, buying something else….but in all that time, I have NEVER owned that darn ruby scratcher.

Bodine
            Participant

My first encounter with Windstones was at the local mall,Wicks’n’Sticks had some.I just stood there looking at them.There were a few,a white grand which I drooled over,different colored big ones and a white Mother Coiled.She was the smallest sculpture there but she just shined at me so I put her in layaway and got her for myself Mother’s Day in 1998.I didn’t get another,due to prices and low paying job,kids to raise,you know,priorities.My son came to visit in 2005 and got me my rainbow Young as a gift.Again it was a few years,no new Windstones.One day,in early 2009,a friend and I decided to check out Ebay,talked about my dragons so we looked them up.Well,needless to say,got me! I bought the old brown family as a set and was hooked when they all arrived safely and there were so many more there and now I could afford them.Then I found the website and no stopping me now.Since ’09,I have collected around 200 but have given at least 60 pieces away as gifts so now I currently have over 130.
              I have always been a lover of fantasy and dragons.I don’t remember my first dragon that awakened such a love for them but I do know the first book that was burned into my memory with my first dragon love and that is “Smaug”from The Hobbit way back in the early 70’s.I read all I could for years and collected little pewter dragons along the way but since I found Ms.Melody’s work,almost all other dragon figurines have become obsolete.Nothing compares.I do have a couple of fabulous pewter dragons that have a forever home but other than that nothing compares.No matter how many come into my home I am still always in awe of the work that was put into them and beauty of them all.I think their facial expressions have a lot to do with it.Their mannerisms of true life they all have.All very appealing to my eyes and I never tire of looking at them.Sometimes little short stories swirl around in my head coming to life when I get in the “zone”with them all around me.I hate them being packed away and can’t wait to bring them all out to sit in their proper places around here again.They are missed. 🙁
              Are we weird or what? 😀

I think Maleficent was my first WOW! dragon.Y’all remember her?
              Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.