fbpx

Enter into the World of Windstone…

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Enter into the World of Windstone…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hey! I saw someone say there should be a thread where people can share how they first found Windstone Editions, as I am sure we all have a story or two on that, so here it is! Feel free to share whether boring or not, your story will have a good home here.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

So to start off, I had never seen a Windstone prior to 2012. One day, a good friend of mine brought me into a shop to meet an older guy, who was a good friend of hers and who offered classes for meditation and theories and such pertaining to Metaphysics. He is a pretty cool guy, and is very nice. Anyways, he wasn’t there yet, so while we waited, I browsed around.
    This shop has a lot of books, incense, pendulums and other not-so-ordinary things that are widely influential in Buddhism and Metaphysics, so when saw four beautiful dragons on the shelves I was amazed and quite attached all once. You see I have had a strange connection to the natural world and am very akin to feeling energies that resonate off of life and natural objects, and those statues had an amazing hum to them, as those that would know what I am talking about could relate and understand.
    There was young peacock, a ruby fledgling, a peacock fledgling and another much larger piece that was marked as “sold” that I can only remember as being a Black Gold color, I believe it was a Mother dragon, but I do not remember. At that point, I had very little money and it saddened me to see such beautiful pieces and amazing attachments to natural energies be out of reach of what I could afford.
    A week later I joined Wayne’s (the older man) classes, and after passing and looking at those dragons many times over, I finally asked the shop keeper if there was another way I could buy one, because at that point the $75 that it cost for even the peacock fledge was 1/4 of my monthly income. I ended up settling on doing monthly payments, whatever I could spare that month for peacock fledge and when he was completely paid for I could take him home.
    Six and a half months later he was sitting on my bedside table watching me draw in my sketch pad. As I said before, I am very attuned to the energies of the physical plane, an later was given an impression that his name was Spiggot, and so he has been referred to as such ever since. It would be another two or three months before I would find the Windstone community and truly enter the world that is our forum of “Rock junkies and dragon keepers”. So thus said, here I am. ๐Ÿ™‚

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Heather
    Participant

My story is a good deal more pedestrian, I fear. I was a freshman in high school, and in the marching band. We had been invited to perform at the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. Nine busloads of kids and chaperones–you can imagine the chaos–made the trek from San Diego County to Phoenix. The day before the big show, as a treat, we were loaded onto the buses again and taken over to the Scottsdale Mall, where we could wander around and entertain ourselves. There I discovered a shop with a window display facing out into the mall. In it were eight dragons: the Male, Mother, Young, and Hatching in Old Brown and Old Green.

I stared at those dragons. I ogled those dragons. I all but stood on my head to read the price tags. The money I had on me wouldn’t even come close to paying for even the Young, and although I could have afforded a Hatching I flat refused, because I wanted one of the bigger dragons and nothing less. They were beautiful, they were perfection, they were watching me . . . these were DRAGONS! I was all but inconsolable when the call came to board the buses. I was certain that those dragons were peculiar to that one shop, and I would never see them again. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

A couple of years later, Mom and I were Christmas shopping in the local mall. And in a Wicks ‘n’ Sticks I stood thunderstruck, because there she was: an Old Green Mother. For $75. I dragged Mom over. Mom just didn’t get it. I begged. I cajoled. I told her, finally, that I didn’t want anything for Christmas except that dragon, and I would even pay half. Mom, bless her, caved at that point. We bought the dragon. I danced in the car the whole way home.

That dragon followed me throughout college, dwelling in the place of honor on my dresser. She has lots of friends now, but she still gets pride of place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Chloe
      Participant

I have always loved dragons….probably Smaug was my first introduction to dragons, but I don’t really remember. I just remember always hating “St. George and the Dragon” and other tales where the dragon perishes.

Everyone would always try to buy me dragons…..and I hated them. Hated them. They were always cheap plastic and just looked….well…..cheap.

My mom got remarried in 1998 and went to Las Vegas and brought me back a dragon. I was opening the box thinking….oh, no….gonna have to pretend to like it….and inside was a Jade (not Emerald) Oriental. I fell in love at first sight! I had never seen a dragon sculpted with such reverence and attention to anatomy before.

The next year I was getting married….so we planned our honeymoon to Las Vegas…..just so I could see this “dragon store”! Since I had been saving, I was able to bring home a brown male and mother.

Though my collection certainly has grown, these three pieces will always remain very special to me. Thank you, Melody!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Kim
        Blocked

I remember when I first saw these beautiful dragons in my local mall gift shop in about 1997 when I was in grade 8 in Junior High and was collecting beanie babies. I would always go into the store to check on what new beanies came in and kept noticing the beautiful colours on the dragons. I loved the peacock colour and talked my mom into getting me a peacock fledgling.

Before that I had always collected unicorns mostly but took a liking to the beautiful details and colours on these dragons. I only really liked the small ones though. A while later I got a peacock young dragon too. I also remember when the rainbow colour came out too. I badly wanted a rainbow fledgling and young dragon but I think I couldn’t afford them at the time and I waited too long and they sold out. I never did get any other Windstones until recently.

In the last couple years I moved around a lot and unfortunately lost my precious collections to a mean landlord who never gave them back and that is when I began my search again to acquire back what I used to collect so many years before. I first got some beanies again, then some Hamilton unicorns I found on ebay and then came across Windstone unicorns in my search which led me back to the dragons. I bought back my peacock fledgling and young dragon from sellers but then started noticing the unicorns and griffins and other pieces.

I then discovered this website and found many more pieces I liked and was intrigued by the grab bags and forum and friendly people. I have since acquired many more colours in the young and fledgling dragons, a few of the baby unicorns and grab bags, a couple of big poads and grab bag poads, some baby griffins, baby kirins and baby pegasus. I also bought some bigger pieces from locals I am looking to sell or trade. And I finally got a rainbow young which I was excited about although I am still searching for a rainbow fledgling. I never knew that liking one dragon could turn into loving so many other pretty creatures Melody created.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

fatalbeauty
          Participant

noticed them first I believe it was middle school at a Wicks and Sticks in my mall….I’d stare at all the dragons and unicorns, etc but always only came home with the little booklets to stare at some more….it wasn’t until I was in college with a little part-time job, I went back and decided upon a Wizard Cat lamp on my tiny salary at the time…the store later closed down not long after…..it wasn’t until I met my husband, I started going to a local movie theater and noticed a place called Lady of the Lake, didn’t know what it was but lo and behold, Windstones were there….I used to stare at time again until around the time that store was near closing and they went on sale, I decided on a ruby mother dragon…not long after that, I found the Windstone site and now I’m up from 2 to 60 something….

4 things I'm looking for:
            1. Mother Meerkat
            2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
            3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
            4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

phantomess
            Participant

Hey! I saw someone say there should be a thread where people can share how they first found Windstone Editions

That was me!! ๐Ÿ™‚

so we planned our honeymoon to Las Vegas…..just so I could see this “dragon store”!

WOW! Now that’s love! ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyhow, here’s my story of Windstone discovery… I was 11 or 12 (I can remember that because I still shared a room with my sister, which only lasted until I was 13). I’d already been in love with dragons for some years. I’d made a self-made dragon poster with a bunch of dragon images I’d printed out from online, haha.
              When visiting my cousin once, she had a peacock male dragon on her desk in her room. I’d never seen such an amazing dragon! I insisted that she tell me where she’d gotten it, and she and her parents took me to the store. They had only one dragon at the time, an emerald (orange eyed) mother dragon, and I snatched her up. I paid less than one hundred dollars for her- I think only 70 or 80 bucks! I had the money at the time, for some reason, despite being a child. I believe that was when I also got one of the old little Windstone booklets with the original dragon family in it and several other creatures. I kept that booklet and I’m pretty sure it’s still around somewhere, although I don’t know where anymore! ๐Ÿ™ Whenever I find it again, I’ll probably display it with my dragons.

My parents gave me a slight scolding for purchasing something so “expensive” without their permission, but they let me keep her. I named her Falkor after the luckdragon in The Neverending Story, and she lived on my dresser. Some months after that, when I found out there was a store in the mall that sometimes had those dragons, I went there with my mom. They had a few, but my mom didn’t want me to get anything bigger than the young dragon (she might’ve been paying for it that time; I can’t remember), so after begging without success for the male dragon, I went home with a peacock young. His name was/is Vincent (after Vincent Price).

It was a number of years before I bought any others- not until after I’d moved out of my parents’ house later on. I’ve bought all the rest of mine online. Each of my dragons (and my protoceratops) has a name, and they’re all named after something/someone. But anyway, that’s my story of discovery. ๐Ÿ˜› I obviously discovered this forum rather later on (I’m 26 now), but I’m glad I finally did!

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Victoria
              Participant

My story is pretty similar to a lot of others! ๐Ÿ™‚ I had long loved dragons, and when on summer vacation, there was this awesome, huge store near the beach that had a lot of neat things, Windstones among them! I can’t even remember which was my very first now, to be honest! Over the course of a few summers I ended up with the bulk of my collection; smaller pieces. (Perhaps the peacock young dragon was the very first? Hmm… I’ll have to see if I can try to dig up a journal entry or something!)

Eventually, the store was going out of business. I couldn’t resist the Rainbow Male at that point, especially since I’d never seen them for sale anywhere else (and hadn’t really poked around online for them) so I snapped him up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Erika
                Participant

It was always the unicorns, for me.

My dad used to be a jeweler in a local mall in the 90’s, and every once in a while, one of us kids would get to go spend the day with him. We hung out in the back of the jewelry store (which had some interesting stuff!) and occasionally escaped to be mall urchins. I had every store in the mall memorized (ha, I’m sure they all wondered where this repeat-unaccompanied-kid came from) common haunts were a weird store with an egyptian sphynx facade that sold pendulums and weird stuff like that and the bookstore (which I got myself locked into once at closing time) but my favorite was a curio store upstairs that sold rocks, beads, charms, and all manner of fantasy things, my favorite of which were the Windstones. There were probably dragons, but I don’t remember them. I’d always loved unicorns, but even as a kid I hated the pink fluffy kind that were just horses with horns. I wanted lions tails. I wanted cloven hooves. I wanted unicorns! And there they were! I remember oogling the grands of both unicorns and pegasus. I went to visit them frequently (anything with a price tag past $5 was too much for my eight-year-old self). I never even thought I’d own one some day because they were so amazing–I felt like I was in a museum.

My dad eventually decided to get out of the mall scene, and I remembered the statues, but moved on with life. I don’t think I ever knew what they were called, as my mall urchin instructions were very specific as to not touching things I couldn’t afford (which was basically everything) but one day a year or two ago I remembered them and decided to try and see if I could find them.

The only thing I went to google with was ‘unicorn statue’ thinking for sure I’d be up for some serious slogging to find something that had probably gone the way of the hacky sack and the beanie baby ten years ago. Imagine my surprise at finding them still in production!

I first got myself a damaged gothic to repair, but since then I’ve gotten a better job, and the collection has increased gradually, mostly small pieces that I have space to display on a rotation basis. Still no Grand though…ironically. I will though, when the right one comes along ๐Ÿ™‚ (Toasted pearl would be awesome!!! Or pearl siamese!!)

Trava
                  Participant

The first time I saw a Windstone it was my birthday. My father took my best friend, my younger brother and me to the Medieval Times in Schaumberg IL. They had many interesting things to catch the eye of a fantasy obsessed girl, but the one thing that I truly yearned for was an Old Green Male dragon tucked safely inside a display case. I couldn’t afford him of course, I had barely enough money to leave a tip for my server, but I left with one of those little booklets with pictures of the sculptures in it. It was many years before I could buy one of those sculptures though… and I started with a Kirin instead of a dragon!

scenceable
                    Participant

I found out about windstones through deviantart, my friend Amanda (the one who makes eyes under Dreaming Treet Studio) messaged me saying that her favourite artist was posting, so I went over to the site to check them out. I thought they were awesome, but didn’t think I could ever afford to own them. The male dragon in particular peaked my fancy.

A few years later, in 2009, me, my mom, brother, and friend were all out garage sailing in the summer and we came across a garage sale with a ton of fantasy stuff. There were kids costumes of dragons and ceramic fountains and such, and a proper handful of windstones. She had some candle lamps and sconces and I saw a few thinking “oh…these are those things…”, picked one up and read the bottom and sure enough, windstones. Several had damage, and I regret to say I left the gargoyle/ candlelamp type stuff behind. However, I did get an emerald old warrior (missing his front feet), an emerald coiled mother (eyelid chip), a peacock male (big wing chip), and an emerald adult oriental (no damage), altogether for a whopping $25. My mom was actually upset at me for buying dragons with damage for so much money, and I tried to subtly explain to her that $25 was CHEAP. Hahaaa… so I ended up with a bunch of gorgeous windstones for next to nothing. After that, I joined the forum, and have acquired quuuuite a few more since then.

Goodness….It was so long ago.

I was still in High School. I always loved fantasy creatures such as Unicorns, Pegasuses, and Dragons. At that time, I was big into anything horse related. My usual art supplier source at that time is the now long gone variety superstore called “The Fair” in a neighboring town called Spencer. When they closed up, I had to find another place to get paint, and clay, and other “Art Stuff”.

I took a drive to another neighboring town called Sturbridge. There was an old mill building that had been converted into a Mall of sorts. They had dozens of Boutique shops throughout the big building. I think I spent a whole afternoon in there just browsing around. I came across a “New Age” Shop. They had all the lovlies like crystals, candles, incense, books, music, and….figurines.

That is where I saw them! I was immediately enchanted. I saw a pretty Dragon which is now known as one of the Young Dragons, some small, and large Flap Cats, and the Flion. Since my horoscope sign is Leo, I was awestruck. I WANTED it sooo badly! At 16-17 years old, It was waaay out of my budget. That day, I spent all of my saved money intended for the art supplies, on one of the smaller Flap Cats. The black, and white bat-winged one.

After that day, I went back every week to check if they were still there, as I was saving up more money. I am sure this shop spurred me to get my first job, and after I got my first paycheck, I drove straight there and bought the other smaller flap cat; the bird-winged, Himalayan one.

Every week, I would blow nearly my whole paycheck, at that place. I bought my still highly coveted Flion, and then two more Large Flap Cats. The Black and White, and the Siamese bird-winged ones. Sadly, I returned to that same shop the following week, and they had gone…I was so bummed out!

Several years went by, and I had moved to another state, married, and real life stopped me from splurges on such frivolities like Windstones. Times got tough, and I was forced to Pawn off my two larger Flap Cats. I refused to sell my Flion, and kept it. I also kept the two smaller flap cats. (they would not give me enough cash for them to warrant me giving them up).

A few more years passed, and I got divorced, and had a mental breakdown. On my long road to recovery, I went back to my art. In the process, I discovered Deviant Art, Epilogue, and Elfwood-There I came across Melody’s work, and revisited Windstone….and the rest is well, history!

pdlucich
                      Participant

A little late with this. I always liked dragons. I read McCaffrey early on, but I never liked what figures I could find. They were all so crude. Then one day I was in a store in Stockton, CA, and I saw these dragons. That was around 1986 so they must have just come out. I was fascinated. But I couldn’t afford them (they were the male and female). I saved money for months (I was just out of high school) and finally managed to buy the young dragon in brown. After much time, I also bought the hatching dragon (peacock), the baby unicorn (white), and the baby kirin. That was all for the longest time. I went into Wicks N Sticks every chance I had and longed for the bigger sculpts. Then I moved to a place where that store wasn’t. I put it out of my mind for a long time, treasuring my few Windstones. Then we got a great internet connection. I started wondering if Windstone was still in existence. I looked it up.
                        I was just in time to get a safari GBB unicorn. I have a little bit of money now, so I’ve been able to get a few more since. Wonderful work, Melody! Keep it up.

It's not hoarding if it's books!
                        Cat hair -- condiment and fashion accessory!

shatterglass4kx
                        Participant

My first encounter with Windstone was a Wizard Cat candle lamp that my husband got me for Christmas one year. I was so enthralled with it, that I Googled “Windstone Cat” on the internet. One search led to another, and I was in love.

My story begins when I was first to notice (I was four) my mom had these amazing detailed sculptures. I didn’t know what they were till later years but they were so beautiful. About 7-8 years later is when I first started begining to be obsessed with dragons. (For sooome reason, my mom didn’t like it, but is totally fine with it when I turned into my teens) the sculptures that my mom had for years, and what I noticed when I was four, were Windstone edition dragons. Four original brown colored dragons: the male, the mother, the young (she calls teenager), and hatching. I LOOOVED them and wanted my own someday. When I turned twelve, we went to State,Street in madison WI to a store called Wix n stix, a store with out of ordinary stuff. There I found my very first windstone and one I could actually afford; the peacock fledgling. I was so happy I brought it to grandmas house when I went to stay for a weekend. She was happy for me. Then, I think for my birthday a couple years later, I got my second one; a rainbow male. I was one happy girl that day. My mom felt that she was the one who originally collected those and said “you need to collect something else and not those now” I was hurt but continued to collect. (I believe she said that because I could save my money for those and she couldn’t cause she had bills to pay and a house payment to make) later on, I collected more n more and have a huge collection now. I’m a proud owner of many pieces. Thank you melody

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.