E-readers, anyone?

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion E-readers, anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Melvin L.
    Participant

Possibly an off-topic, but was wondering if anyone has an E-reader for reading books. I have the Nook Color, & love it. Although nothing will replace an actual page-turner, I’ve found several books to download and enjoy. 1st was the Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy… go figure.

Melvin L.
      Participant

Pegasi1978
        Participant

With as much as I like to read, my mother keeps trying to push me to get an e-reader. I wish there was a way to “rent” one before you buy it so you could find out if it really is for you.

iPad, i love the thing.

twindragonsmum
          Participant

Sony Reader, which I absolutely LOVE! But you’re right – I still need a good page turner… The reader is great for traveling, though – I can put my whole library on it and take it with me πŸ˜€ plus music, video, audio books and magazines. Oh and newspapers…

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Diana L
            Participant

I have a Kindle and love it to pieces. My book space is now taken up by my Windstone collection so this is just perfect. I’m still learning to use most of it but it’s great for doctor’s offices and other places you have to wait and doesn’t take up a ton of space. I’m with everyone else though, I still love my actual books, I’m touchy feely with them lol. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
              Participant

I have both the iPad and a Sony Reader. Now I find books cumbersome. I’ve had the Reader for almost 2 years and the iPad since the summer. Now my husband reads electronically too. It’s the best when you’re traveling!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jasmine
                Participant

I love the tactile feel of a real book, the tiny crack of the spine when you first open it, the smell… Now that being said, we have completely run out of room for more than the physical books for my fav authors so I am considering an e-reader. As soon as hubby gets a new job, we’re looking at getting the iPad.

Melvin L.
                  Participant

Wow, I didn’t realize I’d get such a response… Very glad to see our interests are not only shared, they are exploited. πŸ˜€

Travel, yes. Reading in the dark, check. Satisfying our digital whims & imaginations amidst the technological age of laptops & coffeehouses with wi-fi; take that young whippersnappers with cell phones!

Issues, also check.

Lupin
                    Participant

an E-reader has opened one of my uncles up to My world of reading. Can’t tell you which he has but he now comes over for book & Authour reviews & mentions. He said he had never read Sci-Fi or anything fiction at all really until the e-reader gave him that option.

A Kindle has been on my wish list for a few years now.

Rusti
                      Participant

This is where I’m at too. I have a lot of stupid little paperbacks lying around that I need to take to a used book store because I will never read them again (they were good to gnaw on, but one read is plenty). The authors I dearly love (and my favorite books) I have all in hardcover, except for the Temeraire series.

I would get an e-reader just to cut back on the paperback clutter, and keep the hardcover favorites for the smell, feel and sound of a book.

raincry
                        Participant

I have a Nook but one of the e-ink black and white versions. I thought the color screens were cool but, I didn’t want an LCD screen I wanted to stay true to the look of a paper page and not stare at something lit up for some second of my life since I work on a computer all day already. I admittedly use it mostly for travel as I still love my books. I could see reading more books on it as more becomes available, but currently I find that when reading many series there will be some books available in e-format, but some that are not. It was a totally good investment since I can share books with my mom who lives far away something that is a bit more challenging to do if you have to ship books back and forth. I will always love real books though. I love the texture of the pages and the smell of ink and bindings. I even love old books that smell of dusty shelves. I pick up used books and think what a life this book has had. How many other people have read this very book, fallen asleep with it in hand, treasured it as a gift or a fond memory? There is a sort of connection in that that no digital format can ever have.

Leigha
                          Participant

I have a Kindle, and I love it. I have one large problem with it though. “New” books are still the same price as going to the store and buying the actual book…why is that? The cost of printing and materials is no longer there, so the price should be lower in my opinion. I understand they want to make a profit but it’s crazy.

I mostly stick with the free books you can download.

Robin
                            Participant

I have a Kindle and LOVE it! Not only do I read my favorites but I can download ones that just came out instantly instead of waiting at the book store. Also, I download audiobooks to it and can listen whenever I want. Since Audible is part of Amazon I pick my two audio books every month and they download instantly to my Kindle. I am currently listening to The second Temeraire book.

Purplecat
                              Participant

I’ve looked at them, and think they look pretty awesome, but I’ve not had the opportunity to really try one yet for reading. I played around some on my aunt’s iPad when I visited recently, I liked the comfortable size and versatility of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.