fbpx

Do you name your windstones?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Do you name your windstones?

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Thrippa
    Participant

My individual Windstones mostly have names, although I’ve gotten a bit behind. The first ones were part of Ocean Sun Stables, my Breyer collection, so they had to be named just like the horses. So from back in the day, I have Leoran the Flion, Navarre the black griffon (named after the knight from Ladyhawke), Alimra the black unicorn and his family: Shadowdancer, Shadowlord, and Ebony Dancer. (Alimra means Lord Ebony in the language I made up in 9th grade.) The hatching pegasus’ name I fear I’ve forgotten, although she’s probably in my foal file box. Then Wicks N’ Sticks went out of business and I didn’t see or hear of Windstones for over 15 years.

Since last January, I’ve added (yikes!) 22 griffons to keep Navarre company. The ‘old black’ female and croucher I found on eBay (still looking for the sitting chick) are Quiscula (genus of the Grackle), and Skandra (I read Merceded Lackey too :bigsmile: ); Mama and sitting wolf, who I paired off with Navarre, are Zhana and Zhavarre, new black Nava and pearl Yuki are also in the family. The cheetahs are Osiris, Bastet, Horus, Pippa, and (red savannah) Russet. I think the griffs look better in sets of 5. My spotted family has no mom yet but Patrick keeps his eye on Valen and April. Goscip, the first test paint I won, is named for her scarlet eyes, which reminded me of a GOShawk, which is an acCIPitor. My latest acquisition, the Serpentine male, is Phasian, which is the Pheasant genus. The other few I haven’t come up with good names for yet.

My Poads are Twilight (black peacock) Bangle (silver bengal), Iris (sugarplum), Walnut (woodring), and Lemuria (colugo). My at-long-last brown male dragon (the one I was saving for way-back-when was sold within the week before I got enough money, and the color had been discontinued) is Vintath, a hybrid of ‘vintage’ and Pern-style dragon naming. He guards the curlies: Violet (amythyst), Xan (Opoponax), Aki (Autumn Leaf), Natsu(Serpentine), Verdigris(copper patina), and Toast (toasted pearl). Aki and Natsu are Japanese for autumn and summer, respectively, and Aki is also a nod to Akki from the Heart’s Blood books. (Yes, I read a lot of fantasy.)

The candlelamps and the mermaid sconce are not named, mostly because they don’t feel like individuals. Although, being me, the mermaid may acquire one yet. I have a few other hoofers and flapcats that need names – oh, the black male pegasus is Nox Pavonis, Peacock of the Night.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.