determining production & limited production colors

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody determining production & limited production colors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Rylorien
    Participant

I’m fairly brimming with curiosity about the inner cogs and the hows of things. Doesn’t matter the topic; I love learning how things work.

Thus, I’m veeeery interested in knowing how you manage to select color schemes for production, whether it be limited production or a larger store-stock run? I would imagine that part of it–at least for the main store batches–revolves around which schemes you feel have the best capacity to sell. But given ALL of the many various test paints we’ve seen, how do you narrow that down to store-runs and limited production runs? What kind of factors go into choosing them? Etc.

Thanks!

Landipan
      Participant

I imagine picking a color that the painters can easily replicate in mass production is an important factor.

*Formerly meowmix101
        Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Melody
        Keymaster

I’m fairly brimming with curiosity about the inner cogs and the hows of things. Doesn’t matter the topic; I love learning how things work.

Thus, I’m veeeery interested in knowing how you manage to select color schemes for production, whether it be limited production or a larger store-stock run? I would imagine that part of it–at least for the main store batches–revolves around which schemes you feel have the best capacity to sell. But given ALL of the many various test paints we’ve seen, how do you narrow that down to store-runs and limited production runs? What kind of factors go into choosing them? Etc.

Thanks!

Theoretically “production” means items that we make in large batches, and always have on hand, boxed and ready to ship to retailers. They are our standard colors, painted by our production painters in pretty, but not overly detailed paint jobs.
          I have been prefering the bright metallic colors to sell wholesale, because they show up well on a store shelf. The subtler colors aren’t as suited for that purpose. A color that is “production” needs to be as simple and foolproof to paint as possible.

We have changed the meaning of the term “limited production” several times!

When we started using the words “Limited production”, that was what we called colors that we were retiring, but still had some inventory left.
          It then came to mean items that we would paint from time to time in smaller batches, but we wouldn’t always have them boxed and ready to ship instantly. This was important for gift stores to know, especially around Christmas.

Then “limited production” came to mean small batches of special colors that I painted and signed, but weren’t numbered, like limited editions.

Now, since we make almost everything in small batches, “limited production” has come to be what we call most of the newer colors we make.

How we decide what colors to make as production or limited production: It is kinda random…
          If you have noticed, we constantly do lots of wild “test paints” that we sell on ebay. If one of them is a reasonably easy color to paint, seems popular, and is a color we need, it might get made as production or limited production color next. For example, we retired the “Red Fire” color, so “Fire Berry” could be next in line to replace it. And although the “Black Rainbow” is one of my favorites, we already have a couple basic black dragon colors, so I don’t want to make that one a limited production color yet.

rachelled
          Participant

Thanks!

Theoretically “production” means items that we make in large batches, and always have on hand, boxed and ready to ship to retailers. They are our standard colors, painted by our production painters in pretty, but not overly detailed paint jobs.
            I have been prefering the bright metallic colors to sell wholesale, because they show up well on a store shelf. The subtler colors aren’t as suited for that purpose. A color that is “production” needs to be as simple and foolproof to paint as possible.

When we started using the words “Limited production”, that was what we called colors that we were retiring, but still had some inventory left.
            It then came to mean items that we would paint from time to time in smaller batches, but we wouldn’t always have them boxed and ready to ship instantly. This was important for gift stores to know, especially around Christmas.

Then “limited production” came to mean small batches of special colors that I painted and signed, but weren’t numbered, like limited editions.

Now, since we make almost everything in small batches, “limited production” has come to be what we call most of the newer colors we make.

How we decide what colors to make as production or limited production: It is kinda random…
            If you have noticed, we constantly do lots of wild “test paints” that we sell on ebay. If one of them is a reasonably easy color to paint, seems popular, and is a color we need, it might get made as production or limited production color next. For example, we retired the “Red Fire” color, so “Fire Berry” could be next in line to replace it. And although the “Black Rainbow” is one of my favorites, we already have a couple basic black dragon colors, so I don’t want to make that one a limited production color yet.

So Fire Berry is going to be a production colour…? 😀

WolfenMachine
            Participant

Right?! 😀 I love the Fire Berry color. Wish I could bid on some now but alas!

fatalbeauty
              Participant

For example, we retired the “Red Fire” color, so “Fire Berry” could be next in line to replace it.

O.O I like this! can’t wait to see them!

4 things I'm looking for:
                1. Mother Meerkat
                2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Heather
                Participant

For example, we retired the “Red Fire” color, so “Fire Berry” could be next in line to replace it.

O.O I like this! can’t wait to see them!

This makes me super happy to know I may eventually get some Fire Berry dragons!

JynXx
                  Participant

I have been preferring the bright metallic colors to sell wholesale, because they show up well on a store shelf. The subtler colors aren’t as suited for that purpose. A color that is “production” needs to be as simple and foolproof to paint as possible.

While I agree that brighter metallic colors stand out better at the far end of a Gift Shop, or really make a display window stand out, I’ve never been a fan of colors like Amethyst, Emerald Peacock, Violet Flame or even the latest Blue Morpho schemes. They look too much like toys, and not really like dragons. True, most everything Windstone makes is fantastical, but I prefer more realistic, believable color schemes. The original retired colors like Emerald, White and Peacock are believable, because dragons and gem tones are easily associated. White could be related to Pearls, or Ancient, wise dragons.

Starting from the last paragraph, I’m really hoping that Fire Berry doesn’t look anything even similar to Violet Flame. I understand that if Fire Berry does, in fact, become a Production or Limited Production color scheme, that it will be altered somewhat to keep the Test Paint “special”. I’m just hoping that it’s not altered in such a way that it’s too bright [I really think it’s bright enough], or have blue eyes. Most of Windstone’s Production/LP colors have blue eyes… I think if the eyes are going to be changed at all, they should be Peach, or at least, basic Orange.

As for another Limited Production color… I’m going to put in a squeak here for Sand dragons. That color scheme is probably the most epic since the LP Ocelot Gryphons. The Black Rainbow scheme is nice.. but like you said, the Black Gold and Black Violet Peacock color schemes are still currently on market. And both have blue eyes.. seriously, lol… what is with the blue eyes? What I would REALLY love, is if Moss were released as a LP paint. Emerald Peacock is more blue, and fantasy-based. An Earthy green color scheme would be awesome.. especially if Fire Berry was released as a Production/LP color. Moss and Fire Berry really compliment each other well 🙂
                    I’d love to see a more “true” green color available since Emerald was retired.

↞↞≪∙ FOREVER SEEKING •↟•

• ► By Patricia Smith ◄ •
                    ☙ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
                    ✾ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
                    ✾ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

• ► By Melody ◄ •
                    ☙ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
                    ☙ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
                    ☙ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

Kim
                    Blocked

I agree that fier berry would be great as a limited production colour! What about the water sprite dragons too? We haven’t really seen a colour quite like that so maybe that could replace the aquamarine dragons unless you could find a close colour match for aquamarine and make both as production colours? I also think it would be great to see black rainbow dragons in the future and maybe sapphire coloured dragons too!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Bullsquid
                      Participant

*shouts from the rooftop* PRODUCTION MOSS DRAGONS!

We have seen many vividly bright jewel-toned dragons (shell pink, aquamarine, lavender, violet flame, amethyst, etc.), and I feel like Fire Berry would be more of the same. I agree with JynXx, I would absolutely love to see a more naturalistic green color scheme. There has been a dearth of green dragons for a while. If I recall the Windstone color schemes correctly, the last one to feature green in a significant way was emerald peacock, and that’s more blue than green.

Sand is a lovely color, but I understand that it is tricky to paint and therefore probably not suitable for a production color. Perhaps a new brown color scheme could be done, something predominantly brown with some foresty green markings, similar to the recent Earthen Fey young dragon we saw on Ebay. Based on the high selling price of that piece, I would say there is a healthy market for that sort of coloration.

JynXx
                        Participant

*shouts from the rooftop* PRODUCTION MOSS DRAGONS!

We have seen many vividly bright jewel-toned dragons (shell pink, aquamarine, lavender, violet flame, amethyst, etc.), and I feel like Fire Berry would be more of the same. I agree with JynXx, I would absolutely love to see a more naturalistic green color scheme. There has been a dearth of green dragons for a while. If I recall the Windstone color schemes correctly, the last one to feature green in a significant way was emerald peacock, and that’s more blue than green.

Sand is a lovely color, but I understand that it is tricky to paint and therefore probably not suitable for a production color. Perhaps a new brown color scheme could be done, something predominantly brown with some foresty green markings, similar to the recent Earthen Fey young dragon we saw on Ebay. Based on the high selling price of that piece, I would say there is a healthy market for that sort of coloration.

=Joins Bullsquid in the Shoutout for LP Moss Dragons=

I totally forgot about those other colors.. lol.. and yeah, Aquamarine, Lavender and Shell Pink, etc.. they all look like toys. Shell Pink less than the others, but still. Fire Berry could be more of the same if painted a certain way. Right now, it’s very pretty, but I know the scheme will be altered somewhat if chosen for LP, like I’d already said.

And OMG… I’m ALL for a spin on a new Brown cross scheme based off Sand and Kaleigh’s Earthen Fey!!

↞↞≪∙ FOREVER SEEKING •↟•

• ► By Patricia Smith ◄ •
                          ☙ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
                          ✾ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
                          ✾ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

• ► By Melody ◄ •
                          ☙ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
                          ☙ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
                          ☙ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

Nightcrow
                          Participant

Hahaha, I’m so glad that I’m not alone when it comes to wondering, “Why so many blue-eyed dragons?” 😀 Honestly, I’ve been asking this (mostly to myself, but I know I’ve said on the Forums several times, as well) for years and years. 😀

I think the main reason I fell in love so hard with the White dragons was that it’s so rare to find a white animal figure that doesn’t have blue eyes! The gold really just made the whole thing, and attracted me so strongly that I began a lifelong collection… Like you said, I think the yellow eyes are just ‘more realistic’, while blue eyes would have struck me as cutesy or babyish or anthropomorphic.

(I’m with you in finding a lot of the recent schemes too bright/gaudy, too; I do love Blue Morpho, but Amethyst and Violet Flame are just a bit much for me — too brass-gold and contrast-y to really draw me in. But then, I’m also not such a huge fan of bright gold, so maybe that’s what makes the difference for me…?) As far as bright colors go, I love the Whites, and I really like the old Emerald, too, and Ruby was probably my favorite of the red schemes we’ve had! They’re bright without being glaring, and (aside from White) they both feature a fair amount of shading instead of high-contrast colors, so I think that’s what works for me visually: bright is okay, as long as it’s several related bright shades.

Come to think of it, some of my favorites among the more recent test colors back that up — Turquoise, for instance, was instant love for me! (I like the Turquoise Copper, too!) The Blue Ice Emperor tempts me, too.

I have been preferring the bright metallic colors to sell wholesale, because they show up well on a store shelf. The subtler colors aren’t as suited for that purpose. A color that is “production” needs to be as simple and foolproof to paint as possible.

While I agree that brighter metallic colors stand out better at the far end of a Gift Shop, or really make a display window stand out, I’ve never been a fan of colors like Amethyst, Emerald Peacock, Violet Flame or even the latest Blue Morpho schemes. They look too much like toys, and not really like dragons. True, most everything Windstone makes is fantastical, but I prefer more realistic, believable color schemes. The original retired colors like Emerald, White and Peacock are believable, because dragons and gem tones are easily associated. White could be related to Pearls, or Ancient, wise dragons.

Starting from the last paragraph, I’m really hoping that Fire Berry doesn’t look anything even similar to Violet Flame. I understand that if Fire Berry does, in fact, become a Production or Limited Production color scheme, that it will be altered somewhat to keep the Test Paint “special”. I’m just hoping that it’s not altered in such a way that it’s too bright [I really think it’s bright enough], or have blue eyes. Most of Windstone’s Production/LP colors have blue eyes… I think if the eyes are going to be changed at all, they should be Peach, or at least, basic Orange.

As for another Limited Production color… I’m going to put in a squeak here for Sand dragons. That color scheme is probably the most epic since the LP Ocelot Gryphons. The Black Rainbow scheme is nice.. but like you said, the Black Gold and Black Violet Peacock color schemes are still currently on market. And both have blue eyes.. seriously, lol… what is with the blue eyes? What I would REALLY love, is if Moss were released as a LP paint. Emerald Peacock is more blue, and fantasy-based. An Earthy green color scheme would be awesome.. especially if Fire Berry was released as a Production/LP color. Moss and Fire Berry really compliment each other well 🙂
                            I’d love to see a more “true” green color available since Emerald was retired.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Stormbreeze
                            Participant

Moss is beautiful… a dark green, earthy dragon with light green eyes would be great.

[i]Keeping an eye out for fantasy gryphons and test paint dragons.[/i]

Kim
                              Blocked

I personally love blue eyes and have had enough of green dragons myself but I guess since the green and emerald aren’t produced now a replacement could make sense. I also like the sand type colours but only if they don’t have the dark brown shading!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Heather
                                Participant

I love blue eyes too plus they look good with most color schemes. I also really like the teal eyes – that’s part of why I love the copper patina color. I think there should be more silver/grey eyes especially on blue dragons like that one that was the September raffle prize. Red eyes are my least favorite. I’d love to see purple eyes!! There was a repaint on ebay with purple eyes that was really lovely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.