fbpx

Daydreamer's Art – New stuff! p.4

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Daydreamer's Art – New stuff! p.4

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Eirewolf
    Participant

That is one cool cat! I really like his blue markings, and the shape of his ears, and his tail, and and andโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜€

Glass beads hold up in the oven just fine. I’ve done it many times. Just make sure it’s actually glass. (It’s always a good idea to test them in the oven before using them in a sculpture, if you’re not sure.) You might be interested in these “cat’s eye” beads; I just used them in a dragon sculpture:
      http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H207437MD

purpleturtle mentioned the Van Dykes Taxidermy site; they have some incredibly beautiful eyes too. Most of them tend to be too large for the scale that I usually work in.

Super Sculpey is a polymer clay. It will not explode in the oven, but it may crack. I used to use Super Sculpey and had terrible cracking issues with it (and a beautiful piece was ruined — I did cry for days). I use Puppen Fimo now (another brand of polymer clay), but some people do have success with Super Sculpey. MAKE SURE you use an oven thermometer, because most ovens are very inaccurate, and Super Sculpey can be quite unforgiving if it’s not baked at the right temperature.

oooh, thanks for the tips Eirewolf! and those are some cool beads at that site.. perfect for my next one!! i actually just got some gems from there and was very happy. going to add these to my next order with them!

PurpleTurtle
      Participant

Yep, Super sculpy is a polymer clay. I use it myself all the time in my sculptures ๐Ÿ˜‰ . Fimo is another, but I don’t use it as much.

daydreamer wrote:

okay! thanks purpleturtle! Is super sculpy a polymer clay? i get a bit nervous experimenting with stuff (especially if i put a lot of time into it and wouldn’t want it to explode in the oven! i think i would cry for days). but i am so excited to hear that glass eyes shouldnt be too big of a problem! going to go check out that site now…

I like your sculpt daydreamer. He looks very unique. I have never seen any cat sculpt quite like that before. Artworks of the more abstract kind can be pretty as well and I`m very impressed with your talent, especially considering you say it is your first time sculpting ๐Ÿ™‚ You should definately continue with this!

lamortefille
        Participant

Very pretty!

thanks for the wonderful comments ๐Ÿ™‚ i have another one almost done that is WAY better than this one and much much bigger ๐Ÿ˜ฎ … I’ll be posting soon!

Finished my second cat sculpture… this time the wings made it through the whole process and didn’t get ripped off halfway through! ๐Ÿ˜ณ He’s much bigger than my first one (9″ x 7″ x 4″) and the glass eyes I think really made a difference. Oh, and he’s for sale: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=44462191 Next sculptures are going to be much smaller… this one took forever!

machineguts
          Participant

I just LOVE this one DD, he is so adorable!

Adaneth
            Participant

Beautiful work on those wings! ๐Ÿ˜€

lamortefille
              Participant

That’s so pretty! You are very talented. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

What a pretty face!

Jasmine
                  Participant

Love her!!

Lokie
                    Participant

It’s really cool!

PurpleTurtle
                      Participant

Oh my! I LUVS her! Super job Daydreamer. She’s very sweet. Glass eyes really make a difference, don’t they?

thanks PT!! wow, that really means a lot coming from such a talented sculptor as yourself! ๐Ÿ™‚ oh my goodness, the glass eyes are amazing. i feel like such a dork for assuming they wouldnt work ๐Ÿ˜ณ i ordered a bunch more various colors/types so we’ll see what sparks my inspiration next…hm…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.