fbpx

Corvallis?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Corvallis?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

Haha, I would love to see the banana slugs- en flagrante or otherwise! Slugs and snails are cute, even though they’re destructive.
      I’ve never been out West, but I’ve known several people who were from or had lived in Oregon, and to a man they dearly loved it and wished to return/ wished they’d never left. I’ve known a couple from the Seattle area ,and it didn’t seem to get the same response, though they’d liked it. Never knew anyone who’d done more than visited Northern California and B.C./ Vancouver, but they also (Canada esp.) got strong positives. I hear much of B.C. is actually very mild, as far north as into southern Alaska.
      I’d give a thumbs up if I felt like you do about heat to Maine and New England/Upstate N.Y., by extension the Maritime provinces also. Very rarely if ever get hot (as I’d judge heat), beautiful summers and falls, spring is mud though. WInters I’m told aren’t as severe as you’d see in the Midwestern states, told this by people who’d lived in both- I can’t judge winters. Beautiful to look at, the seacoasts are stunning, the people mostly live and let live.

WolfenMachine
      Participant

I visited GB in Switzerland in 2007 and OH.MY.GOSH. Living in the country’s sewer (Houston) all my life and never visiting many other parts of the US (Oklahoma and Arkansas dont count-they still look kinda like Texas)…living here and then going there, it was Heaven. Nice people, clean water, LOTS of water, mountains, many of the things you described about Corvalis, Melody. GB had another american house guest named Chris. He and I would venture out sometimes, and I was awe struck over the country. He lived in Oregon and part of his life in Califorina. He scoffed. “Hmmf. This place looks like Oregon” O.O I decided then I HAD to visit! I love Blackberries ^_^

Texas is my home, and always will be, even if I move(hopefully, one day) …but its really only got 3 things going for it…culture, good food, and a great housing/job market.

Melody
        Keymaster

Banana slugs are awesome.

Jerusha
          Participant

Hee hee, Melody, your reply makes me wonder if we can look forward to the Banana Slug line of sculpts XD
            I miss Oregon, I lived in Portland for three years and it was my absolute favorite place to live (compared against Minnesota, Chicago, and Arizona)!

Melody
            Keymaster

Jerusha wrote:

Hee hee, Melody, your reply makes me wonder if we can look forward to the Banana Slug line of sculpts XD
              I miss Oregon, I lived in Portland for three years and it was my absolute favorite place to live (compared against Minnesota, Chicago, and Arizona)!

I did a banana slug sculpture that held a wall thermometer( I wonder where that went?) -and I sewed a banana slug costume for my son for Holloween. Banana slugs are right up there with Meerkats as my favorite animal. Corvallis is wonderful.

Pam

You should try them fried.

Pam Thompson wrote:

You should try them fried.

eww….

machineguts
                Participant

๐Ÿ˜€

Okay. Can’t help myself. I have to chime in on this. My wife was browsing this thread and I just had to put my two cents in. We live in Tangent which is basically just down the road from Corvallis. I love it here too. But it took a while to grow on me.

I grew up in Eastern Oregon which is the other two thirds of the state that isn’t wet and green most of the year. Contrary to popular belief Oregon is not all green it’s just that the larger cities are all in what I like to affectionately call the “Willamette Rain Gutter” (real name is the Willamette Valley). Eastern Oregon is much drier and can have more extremes in temperature (below freezing to 110 degrees F). I too miss the snow in the winter (my wife thinks I’m crazy)! If you’re from a drier climate it can be difficult to get used to the humidity. When we moved here I remember it was around 80 degrees outside (I was used to 90+ summers) and I thought “That shouldn’t be too bad” as I started hauling boxes and furniture up the stairs of our apartment. By about the second or third trip I was sweating bullets. The other rough part was the lack of sun in the winter. The year we moved here was one of the wettest (small flood that year).
                  I really missed the sun. ๐Ÿ™

All that being said I gotten used to all that. Just a few day’s ago I was wishing for the rain to start again.
                  Must be something in the water ๐Ÿ™‚
                  The only reason I’m not wishing harder is that I have tomatoes and other veggies that still need to finish ripening. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.