Broken GB Young Uni

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Broken GB Young Uni

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Participant

I bought GBY “Limerick” from a forum member, and unfortunately his horn didn’t survive shipping. He wasn’t packed in his original corrugated packaging to protect the horn. As soon as the postman handed me the package, I could hear something rattling inside & knew that it wouldn’t be pretty.

Seller has already filed the claim for insurance and I’m waiting a refund. But, am wondering whether or not he can be easily repaired or not. I’ve never made repairs to any of my pieces, but know that many forum members have.

It appears that some of the paint/gypsum surrounding the horn was damaged, but the horn appears to be fairly intact. I’ve included some pictures.

Is it feasible to try to repair this guy? Any advice would be appreciated

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w556/mashubert/limerick/20140106_11_zps45f8db13.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w556/mashubert/limerick/20140106_9_zps058c342c.jpg

Ouch, that is exactly what happened to our GBY reprise. Looks like the tong broke off your horn as did mine. Resin won’t work, and I have yet to figure it out. Unless you can get the tong out and re fixate it to the horn it is gonna be really tricky, I still haven’t figured his horn out yet.

here is reprise, pretty much the same

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

littleironhorse
      Participant

What I would suggest would be to find a cheap white Young Uni to recover the horn and ship the lot to Kyrin for repair. I’m sure she can take out whatever part of the pewter horn is left in the Uni’s head and resculpt/repaint whatever needs to be before setting the new horn.

Kiya
        Participant

Yeah, if you can handle the idea of busting up a production young to get a new horn, that’s probably the best bet.

I would also see about getting an estimate from drag0nfeathers or Kyrin for the repair and asking the seller to cover the costs to fix him.

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

I’ve done this to several Youngs. If you got a horn, I can fix it. Another thing is I can repair the socket and you can glue the horn on the head with super glue. It’s not as strong because you are gluing to the surface of the anchor, but it also works. I wouldn’t recommend shipping it again after that though

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

twindragonsmum
            Participant

I use a metal to metal glue for some of my jewelry making called JB Weld. You canfind it at Ace Hardware or Auto Zone. A friend of mine used it to repair part of his engine block and the car’s still goin’ strong. Hope this helps?

twindragonsmum

tdm

Mary
              Participant

Kiya wrote: “Yeah, if you can handle the idea of busting up a production young to get a new horn, that’s probably the best bet.

I would also see about getting an estimate from drag0nfeathers or Kyrin for the repair and asking the seller to cover the costs to fix him.”

Thanks for the advice. The seller had agreed to refund my purchase & she has an insurance claim filed for the damages. But, she has stopped responding to my emails, and I opened a Paypal case and she’s not responded yet to Paypal either. Back when she was resonding to my emails, we discussed possibility of my buying the damaged piece from her after the refund & insurance claim were settled, but hadn’t agree on any price. I wanted to find out how much it’d cost to fix him up before I make any offer for the damaged GBY.

I suppose I could scour ebay watching for a damaged white young uni that has the horn intact. I guess if the uni had chips or breaks, I wouldn’t feel so bad ruining it to get the horn.

I’ll check with Kyrin or Drangonfeathers to get some idea of how much they’d charge to fix him.

Thanks again, all.

Mary
                Participant

Drag0nfeathers wrote: “I’ve done this to several Youngs. If you got a horn, I can fix it. Another thing is I can repair the socket and you can glue the horn on the head with super glue. It’s not as strong because you are gluing to the surface of the anchor, but it also works. I wouldn’t recommend shipping it again after that though”

Thanks, DF. Just to get some idea, how much would you charge to fix something like this, if I can find another white young to sacrifice? I might buy the damaged piece from the seller, after the insurance is settled, so I’m just trying to get some kind of idea on approximately what the costs to fix him would be & whether or not its worth it to fix. He’ll never be mint, but his colors are gorgeous. I guess I could buy a tiny hat or something to cover up his hole in the head, if it’s too costly to fix.

Kim
                  Blocked

If you want a regular white young for the horn, I have one that I bought with some other pieces and then realized after the legs had been broken and re-glued. I was thinking or either trying to touch it up and sell it or get it re-painted but it’s hard to cover the line on the legs where it was glued. I don’t know what it would sell for though if anyone has any idea. I would hope to at least get some money for it since I still owe a bunch of money for utility bills right now but if insurance can cover the cost that could work out.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Actually, that JB Weld is awesome stuff! I haven’t tried it on a Uni horn, but it’s holding my windshield wiper arms still after 2 years! LOL! That’s a good idea! I’ll have to try that next time I dig an anchor out of a uni skull! LOL!

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

not sure if I am helping, but here is one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windstone-Editions-Pena-Young-White-Unicorn-804-W-/331119410911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d18413edf

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Mary
                      Participant

Thanks, 96037. But, I think I’d feel too bad busting up a Young in good condition to sacrifice her for the horn. I’ll keep watching to see if any chipped or broken ones show up.

Thanks all for your valuable tips!

Kim
                        Blocked

Thanks, 96037. But, I think I’d feel too bad busting up a Young in good condition to sacrifice her for the horn. I’ll keep watching to see if any chipped or broken ones show up.

Thanks all for your valuable tips!

Did you see my post above that I have one that had broken legs that were glued I would like to sell? I would sell it for half of what non broken ones go for if you are interested as I need money for bills.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Mary
                          Participant

Kim said: ‘Did you see my post above that I have one that had broken legs that were glued I would like to sell? I would sell it for half of what non broken ones go for if you are interested as I need money for bills.’

I saw your post about the broken young you have. I might be interested in her, if I end up getting the damaged one from the seller. At this point, I haven’t received any refund from the seller as she promised, she’s not responding to my emails or Paypals emails, so I’m really not sure what’s going on. Paypal says that if she doesn’t respond to them in 10 days, I automatically win the case, but I don’t know if she’s got funds in her Paypal account or what, so I’m still unsure if I’ll be seeing my money back. And, then I have to take the broken guy to the post office for them to complete the damage inspection, & from my understanding, I leave it with them. I guess when the claim is settled, they return it to the seller. At that point, if she’s communicating, I can offer to buy it from her & try to get it repaired.

So, I think I’m quite a ways from knowing if I’ll be buying the damaged young from seller & need to buy a broken young to repair the horn. But, I’ll keep yours in mind & thank you much for the offer.

etruscan
                            Participant

People here have experience with claims for broken pieces – and I don’t (knock wood) – but from previous discussions I got the impression that broken pieces are not returned to anybody once they have been submitted to the post office.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.