fbpx

BRISINGR

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

I like the fact that this series (as well as Harry Potter) got lots of children reading! Something that’s very important to me. I only hope my son reads like his father and I do. We read a book every night before he goes to bed and he’s always bringing me other books to read occasionally during the day.

Lol, Ryan took me to the Eragon movie for my birthday about two years ago. I had introduced him to the series and we both love it. But we were so disappointed when we saw the movie. Ryan felt bad that it wasn’t good and that we had gone to see it. I laughed and said “oh well, lets movie hop to a better one! The theatre owes us now for the horribly bad movie.” I didn’t want him to feel bad about it.
      I think they rushed the movie, they didn’t allow time for relationships between characters to get stronger and the basic character development was awful as well. After that I had sworn off movies made after book accept the Harry Potter series. But then I soon broke it and went to see Beowulf, which wasn’t bad although it only followed the book a quarter of the way through and then just made its own story from there. I think it captured Beowulf’s character and the Knordic culture.

Purplecat
      Participant

TheRedWriter wrote:

Lol, Ryan took me to the Eragon movie for my birthday about two years ago. I had introduced him to the series and we both love it. But we were so disappointed when we saw the movie. Ryan felt bad that it wasn’t good and that we had gone to see it. I laughed and said “oh well, lets movie hop to a better one! The theatre owes us now for the horribly bad movie.” I didn’t want him to feel bad about it.
        I think they rushed the movie, they didn’t allow time for relationships between characters to get stronger and the basic character development was awful as well. After that I had sworn off movies made after book accept the Harry Potter series. But then I soon broke it and went to see Beowulf, which wasn’t bad although it only followed the book a quarter of the way through and then just made its own story from there. I think it captured Beowulf’s character and the Knordic culture.

I totally agree. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ On all three.

Has anyone else finished reading this? Tears! Sadness! And of course, the typical FRUSTRATION at the very end… lmao…

Maria
        Participant

My brother bought it and will read it some time. He’s lost his love for the series, evidently, but just want to know what happens. I’m not going to bother. I’ll look up reviews and wait until he reads it and tells me what it’s about.

Akeyla
          Participant

I stay with my statement from… two years ago?
            “I’ll just go to the cinema to see the dragon (s)”
            I have book two, I read 30 pages or such and got bored. I doubt I will get book 3, unless you all here go on swooning about it.
            I’ve recently read ” Das Drachentor” by Jenny May-Nuyen (who published with 16 and so far has nine books), which is by far better than other dragon books I’ve so far flipped through, not just for the story but also for being different.
            I know, I’m harsh, but I look at fantasy critically and twice because dahh… I cant exactly word it, but its the trash that hurts “us others”. (this means up to some point I understand my teachers, if I knew the average what gets famous only I’d also be sick of it)

ah, Basil? care to join me for the next movie? yes?
            whenever it comes out πŸ™‚

Maria
            Participant

With pleasure. Then we can critique the proportions and muscle builds together. πŸ˜€

Jennifer wrote:

purplecat wrote:

people are making fun of him??? πŸ˜• what for?

Mostly, for these reasons. πŸ˜†
              http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?page_id=11

Holy freaking cow! I don’t think anyone has taken that much time and effort to tear down any other fantasy book ever written before!

Oy! Get a life guy!

Anyway, I plan to read Brisingr…the first two sotries were okay, and I want to see how it pans out.

If you really want to read something really good, get a hold of To Light a Candle by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory…that series rocks, and even better, there is a second trilogy, which I plan to get my paws on soon.

The story is complicated, the characters well thought out, and very very cool. There are unicorns (I like that they are patterned after the more goatlike version in size and configuration, versus the horse version), a dragon, centaurs, elves, humans, a half-demon, and demons. All tied together really interestingly.

For those who would like something a bit better than the Inheritance series to read.

Kyrin

To Light a Candle…. I think I’ve read that one! I just can’t remember it. The half demon is female, and the the dragon bonds to an elf who now can learn magic, and elves haven’t been able to practice magic for millenia, because they traded it for longevity, right?

Making sure I’m remembering the same books before I get all excited over it. πŸ™‚

Dragon87 wrote:

To Light a Candle…. I think I’ve read that one! I just can’t remember it. The half demon is female, and the the dragon bonds to an elf who now can learn magic, and elves haven’t been able to practice magic for millenia, because they traded it for longevity, right?

Making sure I’m remembering the same books before I get all excited over it. πŸ™‚

Yep! On the nosie! The next two following that one are awesome…and I loved the ending!

Kyrin

Holy crap I’ve read a book someone recommended!!!! I’m so excited!!!! πŸ˜†

They were good books, but I can’t find them and don’t want to rebuy them….

Right now I’m reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Not bad. Not the best I’ve read but not bad in it’s own right.

Dragon87 wrote:

Holy crap I’ve read a book someone recommended!!!! I’m so excited!!!! πŸ˜†

They were good books, but I can’t find them and don’t want to rebuy them….

Right now I’m reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Not bad. Not the best I’ve read but not bad in it’s own right.

Those were good up until the end, my best friend loved them, then read the last book and was majorly disappointed. So warn ya now, you might not like the ending.

I’m reading Mercedes Lackey’s latest Five Hundred Kingdoms story, The Snow Queen, so far, so good.

Kyrin

I’ll have to keep that in mind.. if anything, I’ll like the first few books… authors that do series tend to get lazy near the end. Unfortunate but I see that happen to so many good series.

Dragon87 wrote:

I’ll have to keep that in mind.. if anything, I’ll like the first few books… authors that do series tend to get lazy near the end. Unfortunate but I see that happen to so many good series.

I rarely see that with Mercedes…she is very consistent, one of the reasons I read everything she writes or co-writes. With the exception of one series written with some guy I’d never heard of, I couldn’t get into that one to save my life, and I am sure his influence is the culprit.

Kyrin

Maria
              Participant

My little brother finished ploughing through Brisingr last week. He says the plot doesn’t develope in it – or in Eldest either – at all; that basically Paolini could have saved himself the trouble of writing the middle two books.
                I’m already suspicious of plots that center on some unlikely hero saving the world from a a great evil, but this sounds excessively lame. Opinions differ, of course, but does the plot advance at all in Brinsingr?
                (Yeah, I could save the questions and just read it. But I tried that with the first book. Eragon is one of the few fiction works that bored me into quitting after a few chapters.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.