fbpx

Better PMing Alerts

Home Forums Miscellany Community Better PMing Alerts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Amy
    Participant

I was wondering if there was any way to make it more obvious to people that they have new private messages? I feel like the alerts now are way too discreet. There’s only a few screens where it even tells you, and I feel like they go unnoticed a lot of the time. I’ll have messages out to people that they don’t respond to for days. I’m still waiting on people who I’m not even sure realize I’ve contacted them. Is there any way to just have the alert show at the top of the page in a highlighted box like when you create an ad in the classified ads section?

dragonshoard
      Participant

I would be happy if next to the link for “my account” it could put the number of new PM’s in messages. Like if you had 1 message it would say:

My account(1)

I wouldn’t mind if the link still sent me to the main account page and then I still had to link to the message page, but at least it would be there at the top of every page that I looked at while logged in.

Scathach
        Participant

All you need to do is go into your Windstone account and check the box that asks if you want to be notified by email whenever you get a PM. It’s very obvious when you get a new PM because it shows up in your email inbox.

Life is beautiful.

Amy
          Participant

All you need to do is go into your Windstone account and check the box that asks if you want to be notified by email whenever you get a PM. It’s very obvious when you get a new PM because it shows up in your email inbox.

True, but if you don’t check you email then you don’t notice. Personally, I keep my email open all the time, just so I can respond to people promptly, but I don’t know if everyone else does that.

Puffpastryofdoom
            Participant

Ooooo! I love this idea! I’m always automatically signed into Windstone (and I rarely check my e-mail account), so if I ever get a random message from someone on here, it usually takes me a really long time to notice!

Although I’m trying to get into the habit of checking my inbox here at least once or twice a day, I still think that by adding an instant notification for our PMs would be so conveniently wonderful for everyone! 🙂

KaytanaPhoenix
              Participant

I just got into the habit of being a lil more on the obsessive side of checking the “My Account” part for PMs XD but a notice like this would be nice, if it’s do-able

Amy
                Participant

XD yeah, I check my inbox/email inbox like a maniac all the time.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

I also have it email me, and my email is always open if I am at a computer so it works out. I figure even if there was a huge blinking message on the website when you got a new message, it takes the same amount of time to:

1. Open email, see alert, or
                    2. Load Windstone Website, see alert

Right?

(It actually takes my computer less time to open my email than it does to open the windstone site!)

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Kiya
                    Participant

To my understanding the reason the alerts aren’t different is because it is hard (or not possible?) to change.

Clay is on vacation until Sept., but I can ask him when he gets back just in case he has better ideas now on how it can be done.

Amy
                      Participant

I also have it email me, and my email is always open if I am at a computer so it works out. I figure even if there was a huge blinking message on the website when you got a new message, it takes the same amount of time to:

1. Open email, see alert, or
                        2. Load Windstone Website, see alert

Right?

(It actually takes my computer less time to open my email than it does to open the windstone site!)

Yeah, but the thing is, I have people I’m waiting on to message me back, and I’ll see that they’re online multiple times in the same day, but they still don’t message me back. I don’t know if this is because they just don’t feel like writing or if it’s just because they don’t realize I’ve written to them.

fatalbeauty
                        Participant

Yeah, but the thing is, I have people I’m waiting on to message me back, and I’ll see that they’re online multiple times in the same day, but they still don’t message me back. I don’t know if this is because they just don’t feel like writing or if it’s just because they don’t realize I’ve written to them.

that one bothers me too, I wonder if they just don’t see it when I see that person on a few times a day with no reply…..

4 things I'm looking for:
                          1. Mother Meerkat
                          2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                          3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                          4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Pam

I usually don’t answer PM’s right away because I am still thinking of a best response, or I only have a certain amount of free time and just want to concentrate on skimming new forum posts, OR I have read the PM, get distracted, and forget about it.

etruscan
                            Participant

that one bothers me too, I wonder if they just don’t see it when I see that person on a few times a day with no reply…..

Since the Forum only shows active users, people can be on and off throughout the day (or the week ?) without signing in and seeing the notice that they have a message. I wish it were different, but I just have to remember to check my account or my email!

Christine
                              Participant

As evil a reputation as popups have, I honestly really loved them on the old forum. They were the exception that proved the rule!

Whenever I logged in, or if I came to the site already logged in, a small popup told me I had a PM.

There was a link in the popup to your inbox so you could check it right then, or just close it and check later. I liked those.

Does the new forum coding allow that kind of stuff? And did any of you other guys like the popup notification too?

etruscan
                                Participant

I liked the popup notifications. They made life much simpler!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.