Best meatballs in the world…

Home Forums Miscellany Food Best meatballs in the world…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

got this from my grandma…she makes the best!

3 lbs of ground beef (lean if you prefer)
    2 eggs
    1 cup of Italian style bread crumbs
    at least a tablespoon oregano
    at least a tablespoon of basil
    at least a tablespoon of garlic powder
    (i sometime use more of each)
    1 teaspoon salt and pepper
    at least 1/2 to 1 cup grated parmesan cheese

mix all of it together.

I usually use about 3 jars of pasta sauce (prego) but you can use any one you want. Heat that up on low and then add the meatballs.
    DON’T brown them in a skillet first!

Let them simmer in there for at least two hours stirring every once and a while so they don’t stick to the bottom and burn…that will make sure that they are all cooked…this makes a lot of meatballs!
    I usually let them simmer in there for at least 3 hours plus. The longer they simmer the better they taste!!!

Try them if you want…they are really good for spaghetti, subs and anything else you can think of!

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

Jasmine
    Participant

That sounds really good. I might just have to try these. πŸ˜†

Skigod377
      Participant

Dang, they sound good and easy! Not browning them first is unusual… I find it hard to believe even though “DONT” is capitalized πŸ˜†

Lupin
        Participant

Ok so just have to ask since with a family of 2.5(even if we are big eaters) How well do they freeze? since making this large a batch would be awesome to put back to have some ready to go another day!!

Lupin wrote:

Ok so just have to ask since with a family of 2.5(even if we are big eaters) How well do they freeze? since making this large a batch would be awesome to put back to have some ready to go another day!!

they freeze very well! I still have some in the freezer from last week…I ended up with about 75 meatballs!! Freeze them before you put them in the sauce to cook…unless you want to end up with a giant block! πŸ˜€

skigod377 wrote:

Dang, they sound good and easy! Not browning them first is unusual… I find it hard to believe even though “DONT” is capitalized πŸ˜†

If you want to brown them in a skillet first, you can. I never have though. I find that they end up with more flavor from the sauce if you don’t.
          My grandma said that she only browned them in a skillet once…because she was in a big hurry!

With the exception of not browning first , these sound just like mine πŸ˜‰ I’ll have to try that. Have you ever cooked them in a crock pot?

Can these be done in a slow cooker? Can the recipe be reduced? That’s a lot of meatballs for one person, even if I freeze them. πŸ™‚

I haven’t tried them in a crock pot yet. I usually just put them on the stove top.
          My grandma doesn’t either. She uses the stove and only puts them in a crock pot to keep them hot when we are at family get-togethers.
          I imagine that they would turn out just the same, right??

Skigod377
          Participant

I would think so. Just put it all together and cook it.

the dragon collector wrote:

I haven’t tried them in a crock pot yet. I usually just put them on the stove top.
            My grandma doesn’t either. She uses the stove and only puts them in a crock pot to keep them hot when we are at family get-togethers.
            I imagine that they would turn out just the same, right??

I don’t know why not. I’ve just never done it without browning, πŸ˜‰ I might try it later this week. I’ll probably cut the recipe though just in case πŸ˜€

lamortefille
            Participant

That recipe is very similar to my Mom’s. We don’t brown ours, either. That recipe also makes a yummy meatloaf:)

you can cut back on the amount for the recipe. just use one egg and maybe half the amount of stuff. I just make a large batch and freeze the rest.

lamortefille wrote:

That recipe is very similar to my Mom’s. We don’t brown ours, either. That recipe also makes a yummy meatloaf:)

hmmm…a meatloaf this way sounds good! I haven’t had that in years. πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.