Art Tablets for PC?

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Art Tablets for PC?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

So… since I’m graduating, my grandmother wants to buy me a grad gift (like $100-150 ish I guess, she hasn’t set a limit of any kind).

I kinda want a tablet for my computer, so that I can actually put my corel panter 9 to work (a hand me down from my mother)!

So what can someone who uses tablets recommend in that price range? I’ve been looking at the bamboo ones (like the small on that has a pen) but I’d like to hear other people’s opinions on the subject before I choose one! I just want a beginner one, so I can get a feel for using a tablet, without committing to a hugely expensive one.

Thanks in advance!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

EDIT: It appears that I can get up to $100 more to it…

And I’m looking at the Bamboo Fun and Apitek Slim Tablet 12.1″….. :shrug: but I don’t know anything about any of them other then what my mom told me about the intuos3. Since I’m not planning on an intuos anyway, it’s a pointless comparison I think. :shrug:

Jasmine
    Participant

Well, hubby is an artist and graphic designer so he recommends the tablet that we got a couple of months ago, its the Wacom Cintiq, he loves the interface, the fact that you draw right on it. And the fact that it can act as a second monitor, assuming you’re a Mac user…

Jasmine wrote:

Well, hubby is an artist and graphic designer so he recommends the tablet that we got a couple of months ago, its the Wacom Cintiq, he loves the interface, the fact that you draw right on it. And the fact that it can act as a second monitor, assuming you’re a Mac user…

Is it only for mac? Alot of wacoms stuff is for mac and pc…..

That and it seems a bit pricey…. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Jasmine
      Participant

No, sorry it does work for both (I should have been more clear, d’oh) but the build he put on it, when he isn’t using it to draw, he has it set up to use as a second monitor.

Jasmine
        Participant

And like I said, he is in the graphics industry so for him, the price was justified. But yup, they ain’t cheap. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Yeah, I read that. My mum does digital artwork for alot of things (mostly photomanipulation) and she went with the intuos3 – but I can’t justify that, not with a $250max budget on it. And the BambooFun is in that range (at least here it is) assuming my parents decide to put in the $100 that they said they were considering putting in.

I’m just looking for something beginner, that’s going to work decently (because if the tools don’t work right, it can really turn you off on something) to see how much I like it. I did some playing around with my mother’s and think I’d like one of my own. ๐Ÿ˜€

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Cintiqus are overrated, speaking as someone that paints digitally a lot. Overpriced too.. XD

Anyhow, go with a Wacom product no matter what you decide. Wacom is the industry leader for a reason. Nothing else comes close.
            Bamboos are great. I used a graphire for over 6 years that had less sensitivity than the new bamboos and it was great. I use an Intuos now. You can find Intuos tablets for your range now that the Intuos 4 is out. The Intuos 3 has dropped quite a bit in price. But if you aren’t sure how much you will be into it, go with a bamboo. They are great.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Purplecat
            Participant

I also have a wacom, and second Jennifer’s advice. Both Koishii and I have used it, and it’s been a great tablet. ๐Ÿ™‚

bayoudragon
              Participant

I have a Bamboo Fun (I wanted the software). I got mine off of ebay at a really great price. It was slightly used, but looks brand new.

I will also add that I DON’T have the small one. The active area on mine is roughly 5X9. My biggest problem wasn’t picking what brand I wanted, it was picking what SIZE I wanted. I thought I would be frustrated with the lack of drawing space with the small size, but I’m finding that I have to move my hand TOO much to reach the corners for all the tools with this one. It’s just something to think about. If I had to buy another, I would pick the small one. Maybe some of the others tablet users can give some input on this as well.

i have a wacom intuos 3 and love, love, love it. haven’t compared it to anything else, but its been great.

I thought the fun only came in one size – the 8.5″ by the 5.4″?

And, since my grandmother is buying, I can’t really go with the ebay stuff (she won’t buy online – it has to be in store). And now that I’ve done research, the Wacom tabs are the only ones that I *can* get in Canada.

But I was thinking of getting one anyway – with everyone singing it’s praises on here. ๐Ÿ˜€

I may have found one for $139CDN so that would be really cool!

bayoudragon
                Participant

The Bamboo Fun comes in two sizes – small and medium.

Small – 5.8″x3.7″ active area
                  Medium – 8.5″x5.3″ active area

Every time I read the dimensions for the small, I know why I kept wanting the medium. LOL! Maybe the small isn’t available in Canada??? :scratch:

Dunno. Maybe the $139 one I found is a small… but the only one listed on the wacom site is the one you say is medium. So I dunno :shrug: I want something portable though, so if it’s a bit cheaper and a bit more portable – then I can more easily carry it around when I want to.

I’ll have to look what options are available, but I really am thinking going for the Fun. ๐Ÿ˜€ Maybe once I fuss around with it a bit – I’ll post my (most likely) less then great looking art from it! I’m really excited about getting one finally – it’s been on my list for years!

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

bayoudragon wrote:

Small – 5.8″x3.7″ active area:

For whatever it’s worth, I used one (graphire) in this size for at least 5 years and had a really good time with it. Smaller does not mean harder to use… ๐Ÿ™‚
                    A tool is just a tool. It’s what you do with it that counts. Look at Melody’s aluminum foil sculpture. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.