fbpx

Anime Reviews

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anime Reviews

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

Since I just started this anime, I’d love it if someone else would review it – I’ve got my own first impressions, but I’d love to hear what you guys think about it:

Thanks 🙂

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

bayoudragon
      Participant

I would also like to know if anyone could recommend Kiddy Grade. 🙂

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

You know, I have owned it for at least 5 or 6 years and it’s still sealed in the package 🙄 😳

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Setsunawolf
          Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

I’ve watched most f it. it was fun. Not as good as some of my other anime but certainly worth watching.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
            Sun Dragon Koi #3

bayoudragon
            Participant

I’m assigning you some homework then. 😆

Setsunawolf
              Participant

Assigning me homework? I have enough from my students already.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                Sun Dragon Koi #3

bayoudragon
                Participant

haha… we cross-posted… that was meant for Drag0n. 😆

Guess I should use the quote button 😈

Hannah
                  Participant

I know I need to update the first post with some review stuff but I think I’m going to wait until after the switch this week to the new forums 🙂 In the mean time….

Title: Clannad

Synopsis: This is a story set mainly at a school in Japan. The main protagonist’s name is Tomoya, a boy who has been labeled a troublemaker who has some issues with his life at home. One day when walking to school he meets Nagisa, a girl who is retaking a year of school due to being sick too much the year before. Tomoya and Nagisa become quick friends, and Tomoya makes it his prerogative to help Nagisa give a jump start to the now-defunct Drama Club.

Star Rating:

Review: I LOVED this anime. It’s completely a drama – in the same vein as the Ouran High School Host Club but not quite as humorous and silly. There are so many things that I really liked about it, but the thing I liked most was the sense of Nostalgia this series brought me. I’ve never been to Japan, let alone been to school there, but for some reason when I was watching this series it really brought me back to being a teenager again and having all of my life ahead of me to make my own. I thought the music for the series was surprisingly beautiful (I don’t generally think that drama animes have the best musical scores!), and even though the end song is quite “kawaii” it’s also been stuck in my head for days – and I don’t mind!

This may also be the first anime that actually ended the way I WANTED it to! I won’t give anything away, but there is an alternate “Other World” ending which basically shows how things would have ended up had Tomoya made some very different decisions throughout the series. I could have done without that ending (it may be the way some people would want it to end, but not me – I was fine with the way the series actually ended), but it was neat to see that they added it anyway.

I also would stress that this may not be your type of anime – although I like action-based anime, the well done drama animes really get me, and I formed a strong connection with this particular one. The whole thing just made me feel really warm and happy.

Warnings and Praises: No warnings – this anime is completely G rated, and suitable for anyone to watch. I would praise it for the things I’ve already mentioned – memorable characters that you grow to really love, good music, a really cute and touching plot. Also, the pets that a couple of these characters have are adorable!! Youhei has this little orange tabby that is always sitting with Tomoya when he’s at Youhei’s house, and the interactions with the cat just kept me laughing. Also, Kyou has a baby boar named Botan, (or Button) who runs around saying “pwee pwee!”

Botan is SO CUTE!

KoishiiKitty
                    Participant

I read a nasty rumor that Symbiotic Titan could be canceled! There is no official CN posting about this, but this rumor definately did not make my morning bright and sunshiney!!!!!

I am not sure about others, but I’ve really become atached to that cartoon, to me it is one of the better ones they have come out with artisticly, character and monster design, and with a storyline that smacks of old mech nostalgia like Robotech. ARCGGGGGGGGGGGGG

*goes to drown her sorrows in comic books*

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

YAY! I was just thinking about this thread ^_^

Symbiotic Titan? Never heard of it actually… which surprises me.

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Lupuslunae
                        Participant

I’ve never seen this thread before, what an awesome idea. I’m watching the English dub second part of Black Butler right now, and of course I am adoring every minutes of it. I’m working on a Grell costume 😉
                          Next on my anime list is Revolutionary Girl Utena. Anyone seen that and have any hate or praise for it? The sister tells me I should watch Maid Sama, she CLAIMS it’s as cute as Ouran High School Host Club, but nothing is as cute as Ouran.

Hannah
                          Participant

I JUST started watching the English Dub of Black Butler yesterday, how funny!! I’m not sure if I like it yet or not ><

Lupuslunae
                            Participant

it’s kinda of slow until episode 4 or 5 when they solve the Jack the Ripper case…and my favorite character finally comes out to play.

bayoudragon
                              Participant

I’ve been on a serious anime kick lately. I’m done with Saiyuki and Samurai Champloo. I’ll give a couple of mini-reviews for those (since I can give a slightly different perspective). I have a line up of other animes as well. As I finish them, I’ll post some formal reviews. 😀

Edit: Here are the two mini reviews.

Samurai Champloo – 4 stars
                                Hmmm… this was interesting. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. Don’t get me wrong, the animation is SUPERB, and the characters are absolutely awesome… but it just didn’t click with me. I think part of it was that the pace was too up and down, so to speak. There would be a serious episode, then a funny one, then back to serious, and lastly there were a couple that were just plain bizarre and threw me for a loop. Zombies? Really? o.O Until it got to the end, it felt like a big hodge-podge to me. I DID enjoy the ending though… I just wish it would have “flowed” better. It made it hard for me to really get into it. Maybe if it had the same characters but was more cohesive (if that makes sense). This didn’t bother the hubby though. He absolutely loved this one. It’s worth a watch regardless. 🙂

Saiyuki – 4 stars
                                While not a masterpiece, I really liked this one. :bigsmile: With the “still action” shots and heavy black inking in some of the scenes, it almost felt like I was watching a comic book. I loved the characters and the constant bickering. tee hee… I really think the interactions between the characters made it fun. OMG! Hakuryu is the cutest little dragon I’ve ever seen!! I love the little squeaks and squawks. Major SQUEE!! XD

I usually watch my anime in Japanese, but for this one, I found myself watching the English version (which is rare for me – so kudos!). Yes, as Drag0nfeathers said, there is a bit of cussing.

Hannah
                                Participant

Title: Blood+

Adult Swim Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1GjYlRwL9k&feature=related
                                  Fan made Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCDy-b1inM&playnext=1&list=PL408B1ED831CFF301 (warning – this trailer is particularly loud!)

Synopsis: (Taken from Wikipedia) Under the care of her adoptive family, Saya Otonashi has been living the life of an anemic and amnesiac, but otherwise ordinary schoolgirl. Saya’s happy life is shattered when she is attacked by a chiropteran, learning that she is the only one who can defeat them.
                                  Armed with her katana, Saya embarks on a journey with her family, allies, and her chevalier, Haji, to rid the world of chiropteran and rediscover her identity. The course of the journey reveals the background history of the chiropterans and Saya’s very deep past, which extends into the mid-19th century.

Star Rating:

Review: Sigh. I really, really REALLY wanted to love the heck out of this anime, but I couldn’t. I have a LOT to say, and I’ll try not to make this too long. This anime is broken into two halves, each half consisting of 25 episodes. I really honestly wish they had kept it to 25-26 episodes, because I think that 50 was overkill. I loved the first half of this series, and by the time it got to the end of the first half, I was ready to give it 5 stars – I LOVED it! As the second half trudged along however, I was struck by how many times certain phrases were repeated (I was seriously about to quit watching it after the millionth time of hearing “lets finish this – once and for all!” and the like), and it seemed very obvious that certain shows were put in as filler instead of episodes to flesh out the storyline. And by the way, the idea for the story is seriously great!

These things they call chiropterans are something of a mix between a demon type monster and a vampire. These things can go outside during the day (though they seem to be more active at night), but they live off of human blood and some of them have special abilities (like being able to transform into human form, grow wings, etc). Saya is this sweet girl who is basically thrust into this life of killing these monsters, seemingly without end, and she catches on faster than I’ve seen some protagonists in anime do (which isn’t to say very fast, but it doesn’t take her the entire anime to either). She is constantly shadowed by this mysterious man who seems to move at lightning speed, and who we come to find out is her chevalier (which means “Knight” in French), whose name is Haji and is basically a bodyguard that obeys her explicitly and would do anything for her. This relationship between the two of them is delicate and adorable – it was definitely my favorite part of the series, and I grew to really love Haji and his undying loyalty.

There are also some enemies who turn out to be friends, friends who turn out to be enemies, and characters in general that you probably will end up loving despite your expectations. There were definitely a few characters that I thought very little of at first, and ended up really adoring at the end (Kai, Moses, Solomon). Still, I think this anime could have easily been cut in half, had all of the filler thrown out and been a better anime for it. The English dubbing is also particularly bad in this one. I may be super nit-picky, but I can’t stand it when I can TELL that an anime has been dubbed – when phrases and sentences sound clunky or have too many odd pauses – I really think they could have done better.

Anyway, after that somewhat harsh review, I would still recommend this anime to anyone who likes heavy drama/action based anime. It’s got a pretty breathtaking storyline that spans almost a century, and I did truly fall in love with some of the characters. There are some episodes that are real gems, and certain plot twists that will break your heart and make you smile.

Warnings and Praises: Warning: this one definitely has a lot of blood in it (surprise!!), and there’s at least one fight scene in every episode. On top of that, the deaths of certain characters (important and not) can be somewhat jarring and gruesome. Don’t watch this if you’re sensitive to that type of thing. Also, the most major warning I have for this one is that, although there it’s not shown graphically on screen, there is definitely implication of a rape at one point in the story, so be aware of that going into it. It honestly shocked me a bit – I’m not used to that in animes!

I do have one more critisizm and I’ll type it here in dark grey – just select the blank space below this text to see it, because it involves something that may be somewhat of a spoiler to people who have never seen the anime:

One thing that bothered me from when Diva is introduced onward, is that she’s obviously the main antagonist of the series, but the ONLY REASON she has become this way is because she was severely neglected and abused as a child. They basically gloss over this entirely and Saya goes right into “well I just have to kill her” mode, and this oversight bothered me a little throughout the rest of the series. It’s honestly a minor point, but I just had to give it grief!

As far as praises, I can’t say enough about the overall plot – it’s seriously fantastic.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 210 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.