fbpx

Anime Reviews

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anime Reviews

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

Welcome to the Anime Review Thread!

Edit April 3, 2011 –
      I’m working on putting links up for every review! You should be able to click on the title of most animes and jump right to the first review done of each. For additional reviews, I will be putting the links in at the Post # – for example, if drag0nfeathers reviews an anime for the first time, the title of that anime will link to her post. If I review the same anime later, my post # (written after my star rating and name) will link to my review.

If you see any errors or dead links, please pm me and let me know!

I know anime has been discussed before but I wanted to start a thread where we can review the animes (or, in some cases, just animated features) that we have seen! I am always looking for something new to watch and without some type of reference I’m just flailing in the dark trying to find something good.

For this thread, I think it would be great to rate each anime on a 0-5 star basis. I’ve created 2 images that can be used for this purpose (one whole star, one half star), just copy and paste them the appropriate number of times to create your rating!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/atoadaso/star.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/atoadaso/halfstar.gif

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah
      Participant

Title: Samurai Champloo

Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_nIJDKpfQc

Synopsis: Set in the Edo period in Japan, three unlikely travelers group up and begin a journey to find the mysterious “samurai who smells of sunflowers”. Mugen is an outlaw, Jin is a ronin (a Samurai with no master), and Fuu is a fairly innocent young teenager. Together they encounter several different people along their way to their destination in situations that range from heartbreaking to hilarious.

Star Rating:

Review: This is my all time favorite anime. It was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, which some people may know from Cowboy Bebop. It’s got great music, some amazing action scenes and a storyline that gets me every time I watch it. I fall in love with each of the three main characters in turn each time I give it another go. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of somewhat more realistic, dramatic anime.

Also, Momo:
        <3 <3 <3

Warnings and Praises: One thing about this anime that really sticks out to me as I’m thinking of others that I might review – the English dub is AWESOME. Seriously, they got some great voice actors and I almost prefer it over the original Japanese with subtitles. As many who watch anime know, there are some examples of really good dubs, and lots of examples of really bad dubs (voice overs that sound awkward, don’t go with lip movements, etc). Personally, I think Samurai Champloo is one of the best ๐Ÿ™‚

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

AMAZING IDEA YERAL!!!!

(I won’t waste this post and I will put my own rating in in a little bit as well) I’ve watched CRAP LOADS of anime so I could EASILY FILL this thread over the next few weeks in my spare time with my opinions! ROFL!

I agree Samurai Champloo is freaking awesome and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! I cosplayed as Fuu actually at an anime convention a couple of years ago. ๐Ÿ˜ณ Cowboy Bebop is also a must watch if you like this series, but I’m sure you’ve already seen that one too if you liked Champloo. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Let’s see, now I have to think of what anime I should rate first in this post ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmmm… I’ve watched from adorable cuteness that makes you wanna hurl to horrific disgust… that also makes you want to hurl! OH the possibilities!

Okay Review time!!! Here’s my first one!!!

Title: Elfen Lied

Synopsis: This series takes place in Kamakura, Japan, where a new form of race has been discovered called Diclonius. They are very similar to ordinary humans, yet different at the genetic level. The two big differences are a pair horn-like protrusions and sort of invisible arms that sprout from the back and are capable of immense destruction! Lucy, is the main character of the series and she is one of these Dicolnius. The series starts with her being held in a facility where they perform experiments on the species since (in a nutshell) people are afraid they are going to wipe out the human race. To keep the population under control, mankind kill off all babies born with these genetic differences. She escapes of course, but hits her head and develops a split personality which causes her to develop a secondary, child-like personality. This one is known as Nyu, as opposed to the murderous Lucy! She is found washed up on the beach by two cousins and (of course) instead of calling the police they have her stay with them. It turns out she has ALL SORTS of connections with the couple from her childhood and while that is going on, members of the facility where she was being held at are trying to catch her. Run time is 13 episodes I believe, but there is a hidden extra 14th episode you can find online. (just a random filler episode) Lots of other odds and ends and some other characters, but I don’t want to go too overboard!

Star Rating:

Review: I like action and gore, but I also like a sappy love story and this series has both! It was VERY graphic and had a couple of tear jerker moments. The ending wasn’t awesome and left some questions, but it still had a much better ending them 90% of other animes I have watched and I have to say, it’s one of my favorite series. Great voice cast and overall acting in my opinion. It might not be for everyone though, so I was realistic and gave it 4 stars for the couple of “Yea, right” moments that it had that annoyed me.

Warnings and Praises: Nyu’s incessant need to repeat her name constantly like a Pokemon irked me a bit, but it worked for the series I suppose. After a while her “nyu, nyu, nyu” get’s old though. Luckily it was a short series so it didn’t bother me enough to stop watching it and I’m glad I didn’t! The story that develops between the characters is delightfully twisted! If I didn’t make it clear, this series is NOT for kids or those with a weak stomach, but man oh man! Look at those heads fly!!!

TRAILER
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZk8fSPUltc

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Hannah
          Participant

๐Ÿ˜† I’m really glad that you like the idea! I know what you mean about wanting to hurl from cuteness and horror – anime is great like that! I’ll likely review Nana at some point – talk about REALLY GIRLY. I loved it ๐Ÿ˜ณ I’m currently watching Blood+ (I like it so far).

I’ll also edit this post to include a review in a little bit, though I don’t want people to feel like every post HAS to have a review ๐Ÿ™‚ If this thread becomes big enough, I’ll start a directory in the first post that links to specific pages (maybe posts, can I do that? :lol:)

Title: Nana

I looked everywhere on Youtube for a trailer of this show but I couldn’t find anything really decent (EVERYTHING was some crappy fan-made thing with some random song included ><)- this was the best thing I could find, it is basically a montage of some scenes from the show paired with a song from Nana Osaki's band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fndIUnYPVrQ&feature=related

Synopsis: Nana follows the lives of two girls in their early twenties – both named Nana. Nana Osaki – a rebellious punk singer – is moving to Tokyo to persue a career in music. Nana Komatsu, who is the bubbly poster girl for naievety, is moving to Tokyo in order to be with her boyfriend. Upon a chance meeting on a train during their travels, the two Nanas become friends and begin to share more of their lives with each other than either had expected.

Star Rating:

Review: I’m giving this one three and a half stars for a few reasons – one, because although it is a moving drama, it’s not the type of anime that is going to blow your mind. It’s a sweet and often heartbreaking story about two girls who are very different in personality, but have many of the same issues in their personal lives. I first watched this anime when I was going through a messy breakup, and it really hit home for me. Some of the lines in this show expressed things that I had no way of expressing before, or that I didn’t realize how true they were until I heard someone else speak them. It may not be for everyone! It’s 100% a drama based anime, it gets very emotional at times, and it’s very obviously aimed at females and effeminate people. That said, I loved it when I first watched it, and I still do today!

Warnings and Praises: I’ve never seen the English dub of this anime – I’m not even sure if it was ever dubbed into English, so I can’t speak for it. Another word of warning – the anime may leave you feeling like there is no real ending – this is because it was originally a manga and was turned into anime while the manga was still being written. There IS more to the story beyond the show, and in order to know the rest of it you definitely do have to dig and find translated (or not, if you can read Japanese) manga in order to get the rest of the story.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

I’ll edit this in put in another review too here when I get out of work. I haven’t seen Nana yet though. I think the cutest thing I have watched recently was Ouran Highschool Club. Maybe I’ll do that one for a cute review and I’ll do Elfen Lied for the scary/gory one ๐Ÿ™‚ They were both really good.

I could do Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, Hellsing, Trigun, Fruits Basket or a bunch of other more widly known ones, but I’ll leave those for a while later I guess if nobody else reviews them first. I guess ones that are a bit less widely known be more helpful to read about. Ooooooooooh, I’ll have to write a mean one about Inuyasha at some point too. What a LET DOWN! ๐Ÿ™„

I’ll have to link siberakh1 over to this thread. She watches a bit of anime as well. ๐Ÿ˜€

and OH YES! The American versions of a lot of animes are totally butchered! I’ve seen some that were just AWFUL! Makes you wonder how the hell some of these people got the jobs!?!

Okay, how about another review! YAY!

Title: Ouran Highschool Host Club

Synopsis: Haruhi is a quiet sort of “tomboy” student at Ouran Academy for for the ultra super mega wealthy, able to attend only because of a scholarship. She’s just a poor girl who crashes into a vase, and is unable to pay for it really. (Ah, like so many anime stories begin, LOL) She’ told she has to join the Host Club to pay for it by doing odd jobs which end up eventually wearing a male uniform and pretending she’s a “host” in this club which is full of lovely young men who’s duty is to basically sweep women off their feet! She’s an instant hit of course! Every one of the characters are charming in their own ways, but all have that predisposed “spoiled rich kid” attitude before they really begin to open up. The whole cast is REALLY lovable though and before you know it they are all great friends and feelings begin to develop and these shallow rich kids actually have some great back stories and real character depth! One of the best dramatic comedies I’ve seen in a long time. 26 episodes and a nice ending… animes never end exactly how I want, but I still liked it!

Star Rating:

Review: Really sweet series and a cast you will fall in love with! They could have done a lot more with the romance, but the lack of it did not ruin the story at all. It certainly had it’s moments. You will find yourself almost swooning for a couple of the characters yourself I bet! I’ll be honest, I went to conventions and saw fan girls SCREAMING for people cosplayed from this series and though “Oh good grief, I’ll never watch that crap” just because of the sheer annoyance of the fanbase….but honestly, I see why everyone loves it so much and became squealing little fangirls! HAHAHA! I have it 4 and a half stars! It’s a great watch!

Warnings and Praises: Warning, you may start to wish your significant other was more like the characters in this series and cause tension in your relationship when you complain about it! ๐Ÿ˜†

Trailer, YAY!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru758Q5dT4Q

Got a busted Windstone?
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Tattoo Mother Kirin

Hannah
              Participant

I thought of another thing as soon as I saw that you’re reviewing Elfen Lied (AWESOME, by the way!) – totally optional if you want to put it in your reviews or not, but a “Warnings and Praises” bit, things that may not fit into a review of the actual anime. For example – for Champloo, I praised it for having some of the best English dubbing out there (in my opinion), and for Elfen Lied, well, I think you have an idea of what you may want to warn people about on it ๐Ÿ˜†

Just a thought ๐Ÿ˜€

bayoudragon
                Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Ooooooooooh, I’ll have to write a mean one about Inuyasha at some point too. What a LET DOWN! ๐Ÿ™„

What? I thought it was fine. ๐Ÿ˜›

drag0nfeathers wrote:

and OH YES! The American versions of a lot of animes are totally butchered! I’ve seen some that were just AWFUL! Makes you wonder how the hell some of these people got the jobs!?!

Seriously… when you can somehow take 70 episodes and turn it into 39… and not think there’s a problem… WHAT’S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!? *off my soapbox now*

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

YES! I know for Elfen Lied…. oh my gosh… not for kids! LOL!

and DUDE! The ending was SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH a let down for Inuyasha! I sold my WHOLE collection when I saw the ending and I had ALL the DVDS ๐Ÿ˜† I don’t wanna ruinit but I was like WHAT!?!! It’s…. just like that?!?! It’s over!??! So many things that I waited for to happen………. none of them happened?!? GAH! Not even the main purpose of the whole damn story was resolved. ๐Ÿ™„ GAH! <— sorry, I get emotional when I talk about anime!

Okay, one last one tonight and I shall retire for the evening! LOL! Sorry, Fullmetal! I had to do it!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Title: Fullmetal Alchemist

Synopsis: (I had to swipe this Synopsis from Anime News Network cause if I described the series I WOULD RUIN EVERYTHING! I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH and I would just ramble for pages and pages about the story)
                    After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al’s soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home, each brother concerned with the other’s happiness. Ed, who has a natural talent and skill for alchemy, becomes nationally certified and is soon known everywhere as the “Fullmetal Alchemist.” Their true objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher’s Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone.

Star Rating:

Review: OMG! 5 MILLION STAR RATING! This is probably my favorite series in existence to date! All the voice actors are incredible, the story is surreal, the animation is beautiful, and characters are to die for! I really can’t say enough! However, if you get to the end and are not satisfied, there is a movie called “Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala” that clears up all the loose ends.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is the newer of the two series and follows the manga story line (its not a continuation of this story) Brotherhood is also amazing and though it starts off in the same direction after about 8 or 9 episodes it just goes off into a COMPLETELY different tangent and has a whole lot of different characters and the general plot line is the same, yet completely different at the same time! They are BOTH WONDERFUL!!! Very intelligent and thought provoking! Seriously though!!! Watch them all (but do it in order, LOL) Fullmetal Alchemist series (51 episodes I think) Then Conqueror of Shambala, then Brotherhood. (Even though Brotherhood isn’t part of the other two parts, it breezes very quickly through the first bit of the story “assuming” you watched the first series. Meaning, you might get left in the dust going “What just happened?? Who is that??” if you just jump to Brotherhood without watching the original.)

Warnings and Praises: Only warning really is that this is a REALLY deep story and some parts get wordy and may lead to you loosing interest here and there. Generally this happens about a quarter or so in, but no worries! Pay attention!!! Every little detail in this series means something and the real thought and careful planning that went into the series is one of the parts that make it so wonderful!

Here’s a pretty basic trailer for FMA
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEpeQjQLvk

and this is the one for FMA Brotherhood… it’s basically a bunch of action sequences
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNqsVGkAnk&feature=related

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

Hannah
                    Participant

I’m glad that we have polarizing opinions on these animes too – I WANT us to have more than one review for each anime! It would be great to have people pipe in with what they think of these even as they’re watching them, the more opinions we have the better! I could even edit the first post to include people’s star ratings on each individual show just to give people a general, quick idea of who liked what.

My mind is spinning with the possibilities ๐Ÿ˜†
                      Oh, but I forgot you can only have 10 links per post.. phooey! I guess just the page number will have to do ><

Title: Fullmetal Alchemist

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCESV5q7jfY

Synopsis: (See Drag0n’s post above!)

Star Rating:

Review: I first started watching this show when it aired on Adult Swim sometime a couple of years ago. It struck me as a sincere and highly intelligent anime with a lot of different things going on as well as vaguely reminding me of the Sandman series of graphic novels. To say that this anime has layers is putting it lightly. I seriously considered using it as a study for my Senior Project in college for my Philosophy major (Dexter won out because it was easier to prove morality/immorality!). It’s an intense, incredibly emotional adventure, and if you (and you will) fall in love with the characters and sympathize with their lives, it will strike a chord with you somewhere. This is an anime where you may learn the “bad guys” aren’t as callous as you thought, and it’s one that begs and provokes deep thoughts.

Warnings and Praises: Compared to many other animes, this one is on the low end violence-wise, but it is still there, and in certain parts may be more graphic than you’d like. I know some parts were pretty intense – so intense in fact that I personally felt physically ill watching certain things unfold (not necessarily violent scenes!), but at that point I was also very emotionally invested in these characters, which compounds the shock value of these moments.

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

LOL! I dunno, I watched the latter episodes in Japanese and all I remember was “last episode” and when it ended I was like WTF?!! All I wanted was for them to catch Naruku! That’s all I wanted. *cries* Maybe I never saw the FInal Act. *scratches head*

*phew” Okay… oooooooooooooooooooooone more!!!! ROFL! How about a classic this time!

Title: Ushio & Tora (laughs hysterically, because nobody will ever watch this)

Synopsis: Ushio and Tora centers around the adventures of an unlikely pair of heroes battling demons across Japan. Ushio’s family maintains a temple, where 500 years ago, his samurai ancestor battled a fierce demon (that looks like a tiger with a big orange mane basically) and he manages to skewer the beast to a rock with the legendary “Beast Spear” The temple was then built on top of the demon, to seal him and his evil away. So of course, while cleaning the temple 500 years later, Ushio accidentally releases the demon he later names Tora. Tora is a big mean demon and wants to EAT Ushio, but Ushio grabs the beast spear and basically transforms into the legendary demon slayer samurai who Tora is utterly terrified of. So the two basically hate each other and are always beating up on each other, but saving the day together at the same time. Very funny, very goofy, and so very awful, but I just love it! ๐Ÿ˜†

Star Rating:

Review: I love the series!!! I think it’s hysterical, but 99% of other people would probably think it’s stupid. Tora’s voice actor was awesome, but the rest of the casting decisions were pretty bad. Dubbing is decent, since it’s not the best series to begin with I guess. I still love it to death though… (this is the worst review ever)

Warnings and Praises: I would have given this series 4 stars, but it just abruptly STOPS at about the 12th ot 13th episode and just never went on. The manga is HUGE and I don’t know why the animated series was never completed…. I guess it was that bad! ๐Ÿ˜† Download it, don’t buy it. I don’t want you yelling at me later about you wasting your money! LOL!

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

bayoudragon
                        Participant

I’m soooo PMing you! ๐Ÿ˜€

KoishiiKitty
                          Participant

can this include non anime cartoons too? some of the newer hero cartoons have been surprisingly good.

Hannah
                            Participant

KoishiiKitty wrote:

can this include non anime cartoons too? some of the newer hero cartoons have been surprisingly good.

Yes! I was thinking of Invader Zim when I started this thread – I just listed it under “anime” because I think people generally get the wrong impressions with the word “cartoon”. Then again, they do with “anime too” >< In any case.. Definitely yes! And it doesn't need to be a series, films or shorts, whatever!

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

WAH! I LOVE Invader Zim!!!!

(Yeral, you have created a monster! I have to fill all my posts with reviews or I won’t be able to sleep!)

Title: Ghost Stories

Synopsis: Satsuki is a young girl who moves with her brother and father to the hometown of her deceased mother. Soon after going to school she finds out her mother was responsible for sealing several ghosts who haunted not only the school but also the town, and now they are released due to the urbanization taking place in the surrounding area. Satsuki’s mother left behind a book detailing how to exorcize the ghosts once and for all. In her first confrontation, Satsuki faces a demon called Amanojaku, but in the process of trying to capture him Amanojaku is sealed within Satsuki’s pet cat. There is a little band of friends that develop and they solve unoriginal ghost mysteries episode by episode.

Star Rating:

Review: Japanese version is AWFUL… the series itself AWFUL! It’s like the anime version of Scooby Doo… you know, if Scooby was a demon possessed cat anyway. Why is this series AWESOME you ask??? What makes this series AMAZING is the COMPLETE BUTCHERING we Americans did to the dubbing! OMG! It’s like we watched the series… said “This is AWFUL! What can we do to make it entertaining?” “Hey, how about some South Park humor with a well known voice cast?” “Great idea! We have a winner!” There you have it! It’s like a bunch of voice actors got license to say whatever the hell they wanted, but still somewhat maintained the story line. It’s freaking hysterical! That’s the ONLY reason to watch it!

Warnings and Praises: The story is weak, but the voice actors really made this debockel worth watching!!! Seriously though… Satsuki’s little whiny brother… I want to beat that child! They made him annoying on purpose!!! I swear! Also… they make quite a few racial puns that some with less of a sense of humor then myself might find less then tasteful!

Got a busted Windstone?
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Hannah
                                Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

WAH! I LOVE Invader Zim!!!!

Now, at some point, you’re going to have to review it! :yes:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 210 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.