fbpx

Anime Reviews

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anime Reviews

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

I can’t get through Excel Saga despite numerous attempts. Same with Azumanga Daioh… my head hurts after more then 2 or 3 episodes 🙄

I have actually been reading the Gantz manga (a series I previously reviewed in this thread) and I have to say, reading the manga is starting to dissappoint my original views of the animated series. Just in the sense that it’s HUGE and has SO MUCH more to it!!! I always thought it ended sort of abruptly, I had NO IDEA how much longer the manga went on for. I’m on chapter 167 right now which is already WAY beyond when the series stopped and I think and there’s over 300 to maybe even 400+ chapters! The whole last 2 or 3 episode ending never happens in the manga (at least not so far) and it’s just so much more vast and keeps going on and on after the second to last mission. I’ve been reading it non stop on my Mango cellphone app. I pitch a fit when the internet cuts out. It’s like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I GOTTA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST FIND A SIGNAL!!!!!!!!

OMG bayou! You are gonna LOVE Samurai Champloo! It’s really one of the best series out there! Most def on my top 5 *nods*

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

siberakh1
      Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

I have actually been reading the Gantz manga (a series I previously reviewed in this thread) and I have to say, reading the manga is starting to dissappoint my original views of the animated series. Just in the sense that it’s HUGE and has SO MUCH more to it!!! I always thought it ended sort of abruptly, I had NO IDEA how much longer the manga went on for. I’m on chapter 167 right now which is already WAY beyond when the series stopped and I think and there’s over 300 to maybe even 400+ chapters! The whole last 2 or 3 episode ending never happens in the manga (at least not so far) and it’s just so much more vast and keeps going on and on after the second to last mission. I’ve been reading it non stop on my Mango cellphone app. I pitch a fit when the internet cuts out. It’s like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I GOTTA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST FIND A SIGNAL!!!!!!!!

Gantz has 326 chapters so far I believe. The live action movie is out now too (in theaters at least).

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Gantz has 326 chapters so far I believe. The live action movie is out now too (in theaters at least).

Oh I know! I just saw that was coming out! I would SO LOVE on of those outfits to cosplay!!! I would TOTALLY sport that at a convention!!!

Got a busted Windstone?
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Tattoo Mother Kirin

Hannah
          Participant

Re: Afro Samurai – omg my brother has been trying to get me to watch this EVERY TIME I’m over his house!! 😆 his fiancee hates it >< She doesn't like any anime though, for some reason… sigh.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
            Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Watch it!!! It’s really great! If you have ever watched Boondocks, you can tell the same sort of mind was behind it. In a twisted sort of way it’s sort of like Boondocks meets Ninja Scroll 😆

Got a busted Windstone?
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Tattoo Mother Kirin

bayoudragon
              Participant

Yeral wrote:

his fiancee hates it >< She doesn't like any anime though, for some reason… sigh.

What a shame… she doesn’t know what she’s missing. 😛 😆

Hannah
                Participant

bayou – I totally agree >< I wish she would at least put up with us watching it once in a while! I bet it would grow on her.

drag0n – I’ll have to now that you’ve recommended it!

I’d also like to add that I watched all of Fruits Basket, and although I thought it was really cute, there were a couple of things that annoyed me about it – I suppose if I’d never seen an anime where there’s a young girl who has lost everything but still keeps her head up and doesn’t realize that everyone is in love with her I may not have been annoyed, but after a while of just seeing all the boys go googly eyed over her without her noticing I ended up getting distracted.

The story was also a little lackluster to me – it only really picked up in the end, where you start to see some real background of these guys. I know that there’s a manga that in essence completes the series, but as a stand-alone anime it was just a little disappointing. I will say though, when the cousins turn into animals it is SOOOOO CUTE!!

I’ll have to give it 3.5 stars – it was adorable in its own way but just not fleshed out enough for my tastes.

siberakh1
                  Participant

Yeral wrote:

bayou – I totally agree >< I wish she would at least put up with us watching it once in a while! I bet it would grow on her.

drag0n – I’ll have to now that you’ve recommended it!

I’d also like to add that I watched all of Fruits Basket, and although I thought it was really cute, there were a couple of things that annoyed me about it – I suppose if I’d never seen an anime where there’s a young girl who has lost everything but still keeps her head up and doesn’t realize that everyone is in love with her I may not have been annoyed, but after a while of just seeing all the boys go googly eyed over her without her noticing I ended up getting distracted.

The story was also a little lackluster to me – it only really picked up in the end, where you start to see some real background of these guys. I know that there’s a manga that in essence completes the series, but as a stand-alone anime it was just a little disappointing. I will say though, when the cousins turn into animals it is SOOOOO CUTE!!

I’ll have to give it 3.5 stars – it was adorable in its own way but just not fleshed out enough for my tastes.

There is stuff left out of the anime that is in the manga in Fruits Basket, including Isuzu (‘Rin’) and Kureno, the horse and rooster (though he turns into a sparrow instead of a rooster).

bayoudragon
                    Participant

Yeral wrote:

I suppose if I’d never seen an anime where there’s a young girl who has lost everything but still keeps her head up and doesn’t realize that everyone is in love with her I may not have been annoyed, but after a while of just seeing all the boys go googly eyed over her without her noticing I ended up getting distracted.

This is so cool. I find all this extremely interesting. I’m kinda the opposite.

Some girls are completely clueless (guilty). I didn’t get along with other girls growing up; I found most to be petty and superficial snots. I was a tomboy and most of my friends were male growing up. I only had about 3 female friends that I was really close to (they thought the same way as I did and also had more male friends). Some of the guys were my close friends, but a few actually liked me… but I had NO FRIGGIN’ CLUE…. because most males can’t communicate worth a crap! 😈 Please note that I mean no offense to the males on the forum. 😆

I really loved this one, so much so I bought the manga to finish the story. I guess, in an odd sort of way, I could see some similarities to my school days (though most of my male friends were not near as dreamy…LMAO!). I always felt isolated and different growing up, I was very meek and reserved around most people (I can’t believe I’m telling you guys all this…LOL), and I spent a lot of time by myself. Two of my friends in high school would call me Angel instead of Angie (they even signed my yearbooks to me that way). They were always looking out for me. This trend continued with a new group of friends when I went to college. I had joined the Taekwondo Club… talk about being protected by the guys!! I had wised up by then though… I actually dated one of them. 😆

Sorry for the smarmy story, but I guess when it comes down to liking something… it all has to relate to you in one way or another. You can put me down for 4.5 stars. 🙂

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

I don’t know why… it’s not my type of anime at all but I STILL love Fruits Basket 😳

Tohru kinda reminds me of me (not in the wholesome way, but in the dimwitted way) 😆

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

Hannah
                        Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

Sorry for the smarmy story, but I guess when it comes down to liking something… it all has to relate to you in one way or another.

Very true! I was definitely the type of girl that pined after certain boys and didn’t realize that others (generally my best friends, of course!) were the ones that liked me. All the while reading your comments about why you relate to Fruits Basket I was reminded of how much I relate to Nana (one of the first Anime that I reviewed), and how I think I didn’t give it a fair rating. I may have to go back and change that. I rated it the way that I thought that it would be viewed by other people, and that’s silly – I should have rated it purely based on my own opinion! Not entirely sure why I did that, since I rated everything else exactly the way I thought of it 😆

I went through a lot of rough personal issues in my early 20’s that, although were really heartbreaking and tough to go through, helped to shape me into the person that I am for the most part. That’s why I love Nana so much – because I see myself in the anime, and I can relate to the things going on within it so well.

And this is why I like this thread so much – I really love hearing what brings out the fan in us when we watch these shows 🙂

Hannah
                          Participant

Also – just a note – I think the first post is at its limit for images, because every time I try to edit it now it gives me a server error ><

I have two options – one, I can move my Samurai Champloo review and replace it with a second post of star ratings, or I could see if reverting all of the images to simple text (not as pretty – it would read “5 STARS” or “3.5 STARS” etc) and just keeping it in the top post.

I’m not positive that the error is caused by the images, but I’m guessing that it is because I’ve been wondering a while now how long I could add more 😆

Oh, I could also just make images for each star rating – that would cut down on the actual image tags in the first post too.

Anyone have any preferences between these?

bayoudragon
                            Participant

I think putting “3.5 stars” or “5 stars” would be fine. I think the list should be kept on one post, esp. since we quote the synopsis for reviews from other people, moving review posts might cause a problem. I’ll still use the pretty stars in my reviews. 😀

I finished OHSHC (4.5 stars from me)… now I want the manga (which I don’t have money for)! :spank:

Edit: I found out that a part-time co-worker was familiar with OHSHC. I asked her if she had the manga I could borrow. She didn’t, but she sent me this instead!! OMG! haha!

Ouran High School Never Ends – 2008 Best in Show AMV

Hehe… looks like I got me a lot of stuff to watch! 😀 My sis is an extreme Inuyasha & Sailor Moon fandork, while I like things along the lines of (English dubbed, gives me something to look foward to) Naruto & Shippuden (your review was HUGE Drag0n! XD ), FLCL (HILARIOUS!), manga Fruits Basket, Studio Ghibli… By the way, I think i’ll review some Miyazaki movies tomorrow, and the three original cash cow english dubbed series that a certain (older now) little 9 year-old used to think was epic, even if she battled 3rd gen fans who were like 7 at the most: Pokemon, Digimon & Yu-Gi-Oh.

Hannah
                              Participant

Title: Ghost Hound

Synopsis: The series opens with the story of a boy named Taro who has been having nightmares since he and his sister were involved in a kidnapping (during which his sister died) eleven years ago. Taro soon discovers that he is able to enter another dimension called the “unseen realm” where he can travel around at will and see strange spirits normally invisible to the naked eye. The story also involves Makoto – a quiet, angry boy with a past just as troubled, and Masayuki – a recent transfer student from Tokyo who becomes interested in Taro.

Star Rating:

Review: Alright, the synopsis up there does not do this anime justice at all, but if I were to expand too much on it I would ruin the entire series for everyone! This series is VERY strange. As soon as I started watching it (within the first 30 seconds) I was reminded of Serial Experiments: Lain. This is probably because both animes were directed by Ryutaro Nakamura (and also had the same scriptwriter), so if you’ve ever seen Serial Experiments: Lain you will likely know what you’re getting into.

This anime is probably best categorized as a horror, perhaps sci-fi or supernatural drama. It’s full of creepy encounters, worlds and things that are totally unexplainable, and situations that are generally uncomfortable. It’s very well done, with a lot of references to psycological studies and even some philosophical views. Although it has little to no action (zero fight scenes), it will keep you on the edge of your seat regardless. There were some scenes that, after I watched them late at night, I had to find something happy to listen to or watch just to be able to go into the kitchen in the dark! It definitely did its job to freak me out!

Warnings and Praises: As I stated above, this is definitely a horror anime!! There are a few very uncomfortable situations in it, including suicide, kidnapping and death. This series also implements the use of uncomfortable sounds and repetitive actions to draw you in or throw you off guard. The majority of the episodes have a short “recap” of the episode before it, which consists of shots from certain scenes with the vocals put through a filter that causes the voices to become distorted to the point that you cannot understand it – I’m not sure what the point of this is other than to creep you out 😆 It may not be that creepy to some people but those altered voices really did it to me!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 210 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.