fbpx

Anime Reviews

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anime Reviews

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    bayoudragon
    Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

I don’t download eveything though. I do have one other obsession besides Windstones…
      http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/AnimeWall1.jpg
      and this is an OLD photo from when I first moved here. Since then I probably have another 25%-30% more 😳

OMG!! ENVY!!! 😮 My collection is maybe half that size. I see all the shiny Narutos, Orphen, Kenshin is peeking on the side… I actually never finished the third season of Rurouni Kenshin. :spank:

————————

Title:Yu Yu Hakusho

Synopsis: Yusuke Urameshi is a 14-year-old delinquent who saves a young boy from being hit by a car. When he pushes the boy out of the path of the oncoming car, he is hit instead and dies. Yusuke, who is now a ghost, is informed by the Spirit World that no one expected him to perform such an act of kindness and that they had not prepared a place for him (whoops). Since there is no place for him, he is given a chance to return to his body. Upon his return to the living world, the Spirit World makes him a Spirit Detective where he investigates supernatural cases and catches otherworldly criminals. Yusuke eventually teams up with his school rival, Kuwabara, and two demons, cocky little Hiei and the suave Kurama.

Opening song
      Hiei loses at Rock-Paper-Scissors LOL. The other good clips had too many spoilers… and I tried to find the clip where the rock demon gets rearranged, but no one had it. LMAO! 😆

Star Rating:

Review: This is your typical fight-based anime. If you are not into the fighting style animes, then this one is not for you. Here’s an overview of a fight-based anime… fight the bad guy, get stronger, to fight a tougher bad guy, now train to get even stronger and acquire supernatural abilities, to fight the insanely strong nemesis with god-like power, and then SAVE THE WORLD! Some fights will last more than one episode. I dare say that this series is one tournament after the other. LOL.

There are 4 seasons – Spirit Detective Saga, Dark Tournament Saga, Chapter Black Saga, and the Three Kings Saga. Yep, all seasons have lots of training and fighting.

With that said, I happen to like this one (and own it). It has that older animation look, but I love the characters and the interactions between them, especially Kuwabara and Hiei who constantly annoy the heck out of each other. There’s a good bit of humor in it to offset the fighting. Some of the fights themselves are funny.

Warnings and Praises: Not for kids… standard anime equation: Fighting + Demons = Blood + Violence. There’s blood (red, purple, and other demon colors), but it’s not really gory. There’s also some coarse language and sexual humor. With this one, I actually have no preference of dubbed over subbed.

Rachel
      Participant

*raises a fist*
        Narutards unite!

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

ghostndragon wrote:

*raises a fist*
          Narutards unite!

ROFL! 😀 YES!

OKay, new one!

Title: Ginga Dentsu Weed

Synopsis: Ginga Densetsu Weed is the sequel to a Japanese anime/manga series, Ginga Nageraboshi Gin, (to which I still haven’t actually watched) and focus’s on a young pup named Weed. Weed is the typical Blue/Grey and white akita/kishu mix. He is known to be the son of the great Bear-Hound Gin. He starts out as a lonely pup desperate to find his mother food while she suffers from induced starvation. He meets with an English Setter named GB and pleads for a dead bird that GB caught because his mother is terribly sick. Overcome with emotion, GB gives him the bird. Later, Weed loses his mother and a dog named Smith promises to take Weed to Ohu and let him meet his father. Weed saves Ohu from a terrible human experiment, Kaibutsu, and becomes the new leader until his father returns. A message is passed trough that Weed’s father is being held captive in the Southern Alps where the bloodthirsty Hougan has his territory. Weed must save his father and throw down this cruel leader.

Star Rating:

Review: I really liked this series a lot. It is only available in Japanese at the moment and I don’t believe it’s been picked up by anyone at this point so if you want to watch be ready for some heavy reading. Most of this series is very war like in the sense wild dogs are battling for territories and trying to rescue leaders and such. Opposing packs grow larger and larger and many dog fights ensue. There is an amazing cast of characters, but a large lack of good animation. Even with the series weak points though, I found it to be an amazing watch! I really loved it and I have never cried so much watching any series!!! Just a great and intense story from start to finish. I REALLY want it to come to America!

Warnings and Praises: As many of the series I watch, this is NOT FOR KIDS!!! It is a very brutal and serious series with lots of war like scenarios and many dead dogs lay in it’s wake. Sometimes it was hard to watch, because it’s not my typical series I get into (especially not dubbed) I tend to get lazy with long series and I have to really get into it to watch them subbed, but even subbed I finished this in three days (while working all three of them as well) I just couldn’t stop watching it! Luckily it wasn’t already ripped off of youtube when I watched it, so now you might find a little more trouble finding it, but it’s out there I’m sure. When I have a desktop computer again with some space its the first thing I plan to download.

My favorite character is Jerome!

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Morrigan
          Participant

Title: Bubblegum Crisis (OVA)

Synopsis: In a dystopian, futuristic (even cyberpunk) Tokyo in the year 2032, a corporation by the name of Genom has a firm grasp over worldwide assets, both mechanical and political. Their newest and perhaps most (in)famous creations are artificial humans, otherwise known as “Boomers”. The Boomers are by no means flawless and when they go out of control, the local police can barely handle them. Enter four vigilante women known as the Knight Sabers who aim to restore order into the city and also get to the root of Genom’s nefarious plans.

Star Rating:

Review: This was one of the first anime series I got into and is also my favourite so I’m a little biased (but that’s what personal reviews are, right? :D). The characters are individual and I enjoyed learning more about them. The way the events unfold surrounding Genom’s plotting and domination kept me hooked all the way through. So as well as the obvious fighting action, you get to learn alot about the main characters as the series unfolds.
            One negative that I have heard from people is that the episodes seem a little segmented and unrelated to eachother. This view may stem from the fact that there’s not really a single story as such that carries through all 8 episodes; more of a broad view of life in Tokyo 2032 under Genom’s power which incorporates many other sub-stories. Ultimately, I think it does a great job to immerse you into this futuristic world. It’s very Blade Runner-esque though, so if that didn’t appeal to you then this may not. Also, the music is my favourite out of any anime. Very 80s-ish due to when it was made.

Warnings and Praises: There is some very minor swearing in places and some of the battle scenes have a little blood but there’s nothing overtly violent about this anime as the main focus is the story. A few nude bodies that I can recall but again, nothing sexual or too graphic. I first watched this when I was about 13 and wasn’t shocked about anything.

P.S. The main thing I collect aren’t Windstones but anime cels, especially Bubblegum Crisis. 🙂
            Here’s my alter-ego in the form of my online gallery: http://nene.rubberslug.com

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Title: Wolf’s Rain

Synopsis: According to legend, when the end of the world comes, Paradise will appear. However, only wolves will know how to find it. Although wolves are believed to have been hunted to extinction nearly two hundred years ago, they still exist, surviving by taking human form. Kiba, a lone white wolf wanders into a city by following the scent of lunar flowers, which is the key to opening Paradise. There he encounters Tsume, Hige, and Toboe, three other wolves who were drawn to the same city by the scent as well. The wolves encounter Quent Yaiden, a former Sheriff, obsessed with hunting down wolves because he is convinced they killed his family. He is accompanied by his loyal dog Blue and together they hunt down the pack throughout the story as the wolves make their way on their journey to find Cheza, the Flower Maiden who is destined to lead the wolves to Paradise. She is being studied at a laboratory under the care of Cher Degré. As Kiba and Hige approach the lab to find her, she is stolen away by Lord Darcia the Third, whose people created Cheza. With the Flower Maiden gone, the wolves have no reason to stay in the city they reluctantly decide to stay together and follow Kiba in his search for the Flower Maiden and Paradise. As they pursue Cheza, the wolves travel through various cities and the remnants of former habitations. Cher joins the city’s army to try to recover Cheza, while Cher’s ex-husband Hubb Lebowski searches desperately for Cher, and Quent continues his relentless pursuit of the wolves.

Star Rating:

Review:Very serious and in depth series and quite and interesting story. You immediately fall in love with the cast. The story does drag on for a while, but it’s an amazing story nonetheless. My biggest issue with that about mid way in the series there is a 4 or 5 part episode long recap of the first half of the series I found to be unnecessary and kind of annoying. One episode, fine… but I remember WAITING for the new DVD so I could FINALLY find out what was going to happen just to re watch everything I already watched on the WHOLE disk. 🙄 RAWR! I was annoyed. I could have skipped that WHOLE DVD and not missed anything at all. Also, the story does get a little over the top, so you need to sort of keep an open mind. Overall though, you really feel for the characters and the ordeals they go through in the story. I will tell you though, the ending will make you cry your freaking eyes out!!! …then go WTF? I can’t tell if it’s a happy ending or not. LOL! Although I will not tell you why! MWA HAHA! You must watch it to find out!

Warnings and Praises: There is blood and some adult situations, but nothing worse then you might see on the Discovery channel that I recall. If you don’t mind watching people getting attacked by wolves, then I doubt you would be too bothered by the graphic nature in the series. I would suggest probably suggest that it’s for teens and over though. I really enjoyed the English voice cast and the animation is STUNNING!!!

Got a busted Windstone?
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Tattoo Mother Kirin

bayoudragon
              Participant

I will agree with drag0nfeathers on this one — 4 stars. The hubby bought me the limited collector’s box set for Christmas one year. OMG, I was so stoked! 😀

The animation is absolutely INCREDIBLE. It’s truly breath-taking. If you are someone who likes a well-drawn series, then you’ll need to check this one out. It’s got a great story, and the characters just suck you right in. It was turning out to be the perfect series. Then the recap hit… it’s not a recap episode which will happen in anime for time to time; it was a whole FREAKIN’ DVD!! A complete recap! Not flashbacks mixed with the story, it was a complete recap! Just be aware of that. You can fast-forward at least 3 episodes and not miss a single thing. 🙄

And then there’s the ending (again, I agree with drag0n). I have never been soooo angry at an ending in my whole entire life!! If I would have stopped before the last disc, I would have been fine. The last 3 episodes were not what I wanted for an ending. That just goes to show you how much you start to pull for the characters; you want everything to end perfectly. You want the Disney ending. Well, you don’t got it. LOL!

Then you get to this little segment I call “the very end of the series”, I’m crying my eyes out, and my husband turns to me and sincerely says, “See, you DO get a happy ending”. &#%^$#@!!!! AAAGRRRHHH!! WTF!! NO! NOT HAPPY!!! HOW THE HELL IS THAT @!#^$% HAPPY!? I thought my head was going to explode. 😈 He was completely happy with the ending… I, on the other hand, was not! You’ll have to watch it for yourself to decide. 😛

And no peeking at the ending. It’s getting to know the characters throughout the story that makes the ending so hard. Just watched the ending theme song… it always makes me cry. 😥

Hannah
                Participant

Title: The Ouran High School Host Club

Synopsis: See Drag0nfeather’s post, page 1!

Star Rating:

Review: Well just as I told drag0n, my first instinct was to hate this show! Its plot is (to American viewers) a little absurd and pretentious, but take it from me: give it a chance! You’ll very quickly realize that this show does not take itself seriously. It’s SUPPOSED to be ridiculous because that ridiculousness makes it hilarious! The characters definitely each do have a back story that will be told slowly throughout the series, and it guarantees that if you watch it twice you’ll have more respect for each of them than you may have the first time you watched it. The cast is really adorable and it’s really the type of anime that you could watch on a day that you’re feeling crappy and feel better for it.

Warnings and Praises: My only warning is that there are a few minor taboos in this series! I’m not an expert on Japanese culture but I know that in some areas they are much more lenient than American culture (and in some, not so much!). An example of this would be the twins – they are brothers, and their main role in the club is making girls crazy by being in love with each other (they fondly call it “twincest” – I won’t lie, I laughed)! The main character is also basically cross dressing the entire time, but I think that’s way more minor – she’s being herself, after all (and, it runs in the family).

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                  Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

Oooooooooooh yea. I forgot about the “twincest” XD

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

bayoudragon
                    Participant

hmmm… this is probably one I’ll watch without the hubby! XD

Yeral wrote:

My only warning is that there are a few minor taboos in this series! I’m not an expert on Japanese culture but I know that in some areas they are much more lenient than American culture (and in some, not so much!). An example of this would be the twins – they are brothers, and their main role in the club is making girls crazy by being in love with each other (they fondly call it “twincest” – I won’t lie, I laughed)!

I haven’t seen the series, so I don’t know what’s going on, but these girls would be termed “fujoshi”. Fujoshi can also mean a female otaku, but in this instance, it has a MUCH narrower definition…(semantics – LOL). There is a whole genre dedicated to this, but not necessarily being twins though. I’m not opening this can o’ worms! 😆

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Well *cracks knuckles* Haven’t done one of these in a while. Hows about what I JUST watched 😀

Title: Cat Sh*t One (otherwise known in the old days as in manga form as Apocalypse Meow)

Synopsis: The manga follows three American soldiers in the Vietnam War named Botasky, Packy and Rats. All three are in the recon team called Cat Shit One. (LOL sh*t, not shit 😆 ) Each chapter/mission shows the daily activities of the reconnaissance group in Vietnam. There are sections of the manga which give brief history and truths behind the war, such as the types of weapons used by different countries and the activities of forces in the war.

In Cat Sh*t One ’80, the story continues to follow Packy and Bota as the main characters and are now members of a US operation in Afghanistan. An animated adaption of Cat Sh*t One was JUST released in 2010 FINALLY, but so far only ONE episode has been released!!!

Star Rating:

Review: OMG!!! I AM SO GLAD THEY ARE FINALLY MAKING THIS SERIES!!! 😆 I hope they continue! The manga was awesome, but read that online if you are interested. It is only 3 books, but you will pay out the nose for them. Easily $50 a pop in good shape. Of course you should buy the DVD so the keep making this series 😀

Warnings and Praises: Okay so even though the cast are adorable little bunnies do not think this is funny or cute in any way, this is WAR! Anything you would see in an intense war setting, you will see here. If you are not partial to war movies or the idea of world conflict you WILL NOT WANT TO WATCH IT. It’s very graphic and for adults. It’s not a crazy gore flick so don’t think that either, but again… It’s a realistic war drama. I want to just be clear on that. There is also strong language.

THE BEST NEWS IS THE ENTIRE FIRST EPISODE IS ON YOUTUBE! WOOT! (just sit through the dumb action figure commercial, it’s worth it!)
                        Man this would make an AWESOME video game!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMlmEFIxdb4

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

bayoudragon
                        Participant

OMG… that would totally make an AWESOME video game!! LOL! Well, I finally got this one done…

Title: InuYasha: a Feudal Fairy Tale and InuYasha: the Final Act

Synopsis: Kagome Higurashi is your normal school girl in modern day Japan, but her life changes when she is pulled down an ancient well on her family’s shrine by a demon. When she emerges from the well, she finds herself 500 years in the past when Japan was in its Warring States era. To make a long story short, she has to travel the lands with half-demon InuYasha in search of fragments of the Sacred Jewel (the Jewel of Four Souls). They are joined by a young fox demon named Shippo, a lecherous monk named Miroku, the demon slayer Sango, and her two-tailed demon cat Kirara. They have to gather the fragments to keep them falling into the hands of evil demons, especially Naraku, since one shard can increase a demon’s power tremendously.

First opening theme
                          Third opening theme
                          InuYasha breaks Kagome’s bike – SIT!!

Star Rating:

Review: I LOVE this series! Yes, I am giving it 5 stars. Any anime that both my hubby and I will watch together from start to finish more than once (anime marathons) gets a top rating. We have watched this one many times. I never get tired of watching it. This one is part comedy, part romance, and part action… with a few tear jerker moments thrown in. I really love the music, too. It complements the anime well.

Yes, there is a little romance. Here’s a love triangle sum-up…
                          Modern day school girl Kagome starts to fall in love with a half-demon from the past. Throw in the half-demon’s bitter resurrected dead priestess girlfriend… which Kagome is a reincarnation of… and you have a love triangle from hell. You might as well add the full-blooded wolf demon Koga into the mix that has also fallen in love with Kagome. Love truly is war. LOL!!

This was the first anime I saw that had demons in it. For the first 4 episodes, I was like… that’s a bit weird. o.O I kept watching though, and after 3 more episodes, it was getting’ good. By episode 13, I was hooked! Episode 15, the plot thickens! OMG, can’t… stop… watching! :shout:

Almost all the characters you meet have some sort of side plot which eventually ties into the main storyline (mostly due to Naraku). As the anime progresses, you get to watch the various relationships between the characters deepen (and sometimes change). OMG! I love Rin! The fact that a little orphan girl can slowly worm her way into the heart of a cold, cruel demon…. warm fuzzies!! Sesshomaru, Rin, and Jaken are my favorite trio of characters! Poor Jaken… he’s awesome comic relief. LOL.

And I can’t decide if I want Ah-Un or Kirara for a pet… but I just may have to go with Ah-Un. Yeah flying dragon-horse! ^_^

Warnings and Praises: While I find this one to be OK in English, I much prefer and watch the original Japanese version. I just find it better overall – flow, dialogue, etc. Also, while some of the voices are fine in English, there are some I do not like, especially Sesshomaru’s. Meh, it’s a personal call.

And since this is an anime with demons and fighting, there is some blood (though not always red), but it’s not gory at all. Half the time, when demons are slain, they just kinda vaporize… sometimes with little blue sparklies. 😆

HEADS UP!!! When you get to the end of season 7, please note that this is not really the end of the story. They ended there originally because the manga had been put on hold. After the manga picked up again, they continued the story with a second series… InuYasha: The Final Act. Everything that was left hanging at the end of season 7 is resolved. You find out what happens to the jewel, Naraku, and the main cast of characters. It’s definitely redemption for leaving it hanging the way they did and is why I am able to give it 5 stars. I am soooo glad they didn’t “make up” an ending for it, because The Final Act ending is worth it. It didn’t end the way I thought it was going to… in fact, I liked the ending better than what I had already envisioned in my head.

Also, while some sources say there are 6 seasons to InuYasha: a Feudal Fairy Tale, Viz Media released it in 7 seasons.

Edit: I forgot that there is some partial nudity as well… esp. when Naraku releases Muso as an offshoot of himself. You pretty much get the full butt shot on that one. 😈

bayoudragon
                          Participant

omg… I have been watching OHSHC and seriously LMAO!! XD So over-the-top and hysterically awesome! 😆

drag0nfeathers
                            Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

omg… I have been watching OHSHC and seriously LMAO!! XD So over-the-top and hysterically awesome! 😆

LOL! Glad to hear it. I’m pretty sure Yeral liked it too for those same reasons. 😆 I’m happy my review was useful to you guys!

How’s about I review another of my personal favorites

Title: Afro Samurai & Afro Samurai Resurrection

Synopsis: In a futuristic yet feudal Japan, it is said that the one who wields the Number 1 headband is the fiercest fighter in the world and shall possess godlike powers. The only way to obtain the Number 1 headband is to challenge and defeat him in combat. However, only the Number 2 can challenge the Number 1, while anyone can challenge the Number 2, which causes a constant struggle for the Number 2 headband.

Justice, the owner of the No. 2 headband, goes to fight the owner of the No. 1 headband, Rokutaro. The two battle, ending with Justice decapitating Rokutaro and claiming his headband. Rokutaro’s head rolls in front of his son, a young boy named Afro, as he sobs and vows revenge.

Now an adult, Afro Samurai is the current No. 2 and a master swordsman. He travels Japan trying to make his way to the mountain-top keep where Justice awaits. As he makes his way to Justice, he recalls his journey from a frightened young boy to a master samurai. Along the way, many people challenge Afro for his headband, including the “Empty Seven Clan” who send various agents, including a robotic Afro, to kill him throughout his travels. He is also being hunted by his vengeful childhood friend Jinno, who was long thought to be dead.

Star Rating:

Review: Samuel L Jackson + Anime = Awesome! Lots of action and a great story! Jinno is freaking awesome!!! I mean seriously… he’s like the SICKEST samurai and he has a giant teddy bear head! WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE! LOL! The series is more of a two part movie/mini series. Afro Samurai is the first half and Afro Samurai Resurrection (which was also equally as good) is a continuation of the story. It’s been out for a while now, so you can actually get the two pack which is the Complete Murder Sessions DVD pack. I have mine on order right now actually 😀

Warnings and Praises: Not for children, LOTS of violence and bloodshed, also coarse language (it’s Samuel L Jackson, or course there is going to be swears) and if I recall there is also some breif nudity. The animation is amazing! It’s a very unique style that almost reminds me of a comic book. EVERY battle scene in this series is EPIC!

Got a busted Windstone?
                              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                              Siphlophis Male Dragon
                              Calypso Hatching Empress
                              Tattoo Mother Kirin

siberakh1
                              Participant

Just an fyi, OHSHC differs in the manga, which is still ongoing (I’m a few months behind… it’s released monthly). The anime adds a character and some stuff is moved around a bit.

Twincest! LOL! They just play up that, but again, read the manga for more perspective on the twins, and the group in general. 🙂

If I don’t get them done sooner, I’ll get more reviews done in a week or so, when I’m on vacation. I’m currently watching Excel Saga. It’s nuts! 😈

bayoudragon
                                Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

LOL! Glad to hear it. I’m pretty sure Yeral liked it too for those same reasons. 😆 I’m happy my review was useful to you guys!

The hubby could hear me laughing from the other room. I gave him a summary, he’s probably gonna watch it too! Yeah!

siberakh1 wrote:

If I don’t get them done sooner, I’ll get more reviews done in a week or so, when I’m on vacation. I’m currently watching Excel Saga. It’s nuts! 😈

I never finished Excel… a co-worker had brought it to work, and we would watch it during some down time. She left before we ever finished it. 🙄 The subtitles were hard to keep up with sometimes… LOL! Slow down woman! 😆

Samurai Champloo has been ordered and is on the way. Woot!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 210 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.