fbpx

Anime Reviews

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anime Reviews

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

Whew! Well, I’m about halfway done with Blood+ so I’ll likely do a review of it in the next couple days. I really like it so far, except that I’ve found the English dub quite lacking.. HOWEVER, it does have Kari Wahlgren and Crispin Freeman as voice actors and I think they do a great job.

I was actually looking up other things that they’ve been in, and I got to thinking about my favorite voice actors (Kirk Thornton and Steve Blum are right up there with Wahlgren and Freeman), and I found out that they’ve all been in SO MUCH stuff!! I’d likely watch anything that any of them have had major voice acting rolls in. 😆

In any case, I wrote down a few animes that I haven’t seen in a while but I will probably revisit to get a good grip on why they stick out to me, but if anyone has seen these and would like to review them, please do (I’m requesting them 😉 )!! I’d like to know your opinions:

Witch Hunter Robin
      Monster
      Hellsing
      Noein

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Ihavent watched Monster or Noein. Witch Hunter Robin I just couldn’t finish… but Hellsing, I can do that 😀

Title: Hellsing (and Hellsing Ultimate)

Synopsis: Hellsing is a secret organization who’s main objective is to protect Queen and Country from the undead and other supernatural forces of evil. This organization is led by Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing, who inherited the leadership after the death of her father at a very young age. She is protected by the faithful homicidal butler Walter and the main character who we all know and love Alucard! Alucard of course the original and most powerful vampire (some say he’s dracula, or the son of dracula himself) yet in this role he has sworn loyalty to Sir Integra and protects her from harm while being the ultimate line of defense against the gouls they encounter throughout the story. Almost immediately in the series, Alucard indoctrinates a police officer by the name of Seras Victoria, by turning her into vampire when she is attacked in a police sting. As Seras copes with trying to acclimate herself with becoming a vampire she joins the Hellsing objective as well. While the series escalates, Sir Integra discovers that the remnants of a Nazi group called Millennium still exist and are intent on reviving the Third Reich by creating a battalion of vampires.

Star Rating:

Review: Now as much as I love Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate is where it’s really at! Too bad its been on a stand still in America for over a year now. I LOVE the American voice cast, but the Japanese version is just as good. The animation is 10 times better in Ultimate and the story is a lot easier to follow. I am not saying I do not love the original Hellsing though. It’s a widely known series for a reason! It’s an epic twist on the story of Alucard! The whole character cast is great too. I especially love what a douche Sir Integra is!

Warnings and Praises: Now again… although I do adore the series… I get BORED SO EASILY watching it! I fell asleep all the time and struggled to get through it at a few points, but it is a very in depth story and I have a short attention span so don’t let what I say sway you! If you like watching the history channel and are interested in vampires, you will love this series!

Much Hellhound love! <3 <3 <3

Awe… dontcha just wanna snuggle that cute little face!!!

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

On a separate note, how come my stars all have white backgrounds…. it’s driving me crazy.

Title: Welcome to the NHK

Synopsis: Satou Tatsuhiro is a hikikomori (a shut in who never leaves his apartment)who thinks that everything that happens around him is a conspiracy. He is adamant the “NHK” (an evil secret company) is behind it all! In reality, he is nothing more than a NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training), desperately in need of a cure from that “disease”. He wants to break out from the curse, but going out and getting a job is frightening enough for him. That is until he gets selected for a “project” by Misaki Nakahara, a mysterious girl who claims to be able to cure Tatsuhiro of his hikikomori ways. Despite Misaki’s offers, it is Kaoru Yamazaki, (an old highschool friend who happens to be the neighbor) who Tatsuhiro often turns to in moments of need and support.

Star Rating:

Review: I really enjoyed Welcome to the NHK because I am pretty antisocial myself so I really relate to Tatsuhiro. The series may not be for everyone, it’s pretty funny but was sort of boring. If you think you might like a series were someone never wants to leave his home and becomes addicted to video games while hallucinating that his appliances come to life and talk to him as friends try and drag you out of your house because they think you are going crazy… you may want to give it a shot!

Warnings and Praises: A young male living all alone who never leaves his house…well… he has to do something to pass the time right? Yea, well. Let’s just say it’s not for kids. LOL! The insinuations are all over the place, but it never shows anything too perverted.

Check out the first 9 minutes of the first episode here
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9sLwzK2eQ

Got a busted Windstone?
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Tattoo Mother Kirin

Hannah
          Participant

😆 thanks drag0n!!

It looks like you’re using stars from your own photobucket – replace their codes with these: (just quote my post and grab the code)

ps – if you have a short attention span, I totally understand you not making it through Witch Hunter Robin!!! 😆

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Ah! Yes indeed that is the problem!!! I’ll fix ’em all tomorrow. Its 4am 😮 Geeze… time flies when your reviewing anime 😆

Title: My Hime

Synopsis: Mai Tokiha is an ordinary high-school girl who has recently transferred to the Fuka Academy with her younger brother, Takumi. However, a routine boat ride and a chance encounter with a mysterious young girl changes everything. Mai discovers that she and some of her classmates possess the powers of HiME and must battle against mysterious creatures called Orphans and an ominous organization called the Searrs Foundation. Along the way she must face her own demons and understand what it means to love.

Star Rating:

Review: This series was a clich’e “I’m a high school student with magical powers” but I have to say, it was one of my favorites of that over used plot line I have watched. Kagutsuchi is AWESOME!!! He’s like a giant bio mechanical phoenix! There is action, heartbreak, and even some romance. Overall it had a little bit of everything. The ending was a little over the top, but even Shaun liked it! So I guess that should mean something, haha!

Warnings and Praises: Some mild violence, but I don’t recall anything too bad in this series. A lot of characters die by evaporating into green dust so I wouldn’t say it’s not suitable for kids or anything, but a lot of what’s going on might be over their heads.

Oh and word to the wise!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME on the second season My Otome… GOD IT WAS AWFUL! I guess I can’t say that in full good conscience because I couldn’t even finish it…. but what I did watch was just BAD! It was so wordy and they completely ruined what was left of the original cast.

Kagutsuchi rocks!

Oh! Here’s a trailer! 🙂
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uph7CExPt0

Got a busted Windstone?
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Tattoo Mother Kirin

siberakh1
              Participant

Will update these this week(working on the reviews now):
                Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
                Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Second Gig
                Trinity Blood
                Fushigi Yuugi
                Wolf’s Rain
                Spice and Wolf
                Bleach
                Naruto
                Blood +
                Outlaw Star
                Shin Chan (Crayon ShinChan)
                Kanokon
                Dragon Half
                Tenchi Muyo!
                Blue Submarine 6

Movies:
                Howl’s Moving Castle
                The Cat Returns
                Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
                Princess Mononoke
                My Neighbor Totoro
                Akira
                Kekkaishi

I have a few others, but I’m still finishing up these series, but can review these when I’m done:
                Otogi Zoshi
                Ceres: Celestial Legend
                Shakugan no Shana
                Axis of Powers Hetalia
                Vampire Knight (read the manga, watching the anime)
                D. Gray Man (read the manga, watching the anime)
                Claymore (read the manga, watching the anime)
                Soul Eater (read the manga, watching the anime)
                several other series are on deck…

I’m sure I’ll have more that I can fill in as I recall everything I’ve watched or as I get to it. I’ve read more manga of things than watched the anime.

Hannah
                Participant

^^^ heck yes!!! I’m excited!! Some of those anime are on my Netflix queue but I’ve been let down in the past when Netflix has tried to recommend things for me (like Hell Girl – I felt like I was watching the same episode over and over! And that is my review ><)

Title: Darker Than Black

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVj2e182-o (the sound isn’t that great – you may have to turn it up a bit – I should also mention that this trailer IS violent! It gives a good idea of the violence in the series. Don’t watch it if you don’t like that type of stuff!)

Synopsis: (stolen mercilessly from Wikipedia) Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell’s Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The real stars disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people possessing various special abilities emerged, each capable of different supernatural feats – these are known as Contractors. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, which reacts to their activities. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star’s Messier catalogue number. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals are known to murder in cold blood, smothering unnecessary emotions with logic and rationale. Their incredible abilities, however, are gained at the cost of their humanity – Contractors are thus named because of an involuntary compulsion to “pay the price” each time their power is used, which can range from eating particular foods and completing meaningless tasks, to self-harm and having their bodies change in peculiar ways. Various nations and organizations around the world train and utilize Contractors as spies and assassins, resulting in violent battles for valuable objects and information. Following the disastrous Heaven’s War, the United States lost its dominant position as a superpower to a mysterious organization named the Syndicate. The story revolves around a Chinese contractor codenamed Hei as he undertakes various espionage and assassination missions in Tokyo under the direction of the aforementioned Syndicate.

Star Rating:

Review: When I first started watching this anime I was totally enthralled by the idea of it. I love that there are these people with unique powers that have to “pay” for using them by doing strange and sometimes pointless acts. It’s very easy to love Hei for his personality when he is not acting as a Contractor – he’s sweet and lovable, caring and softspoken. However, when Hei is using his powers and acting as a full-on Contractor, he suddenly becomes completely emotionless. This change between two personalities seems very rare in the scope of the series – I can’t honestly remember any of the other Contractors having such a fluxuation. I think this gives the series a bit more depth because you’re constantly guessing who the “real” Hei is as he keeps changing from someone you adore to someone you’d likely be quite afraid to meet. One of my favorite characters though, has to be Mao – the contractor whose soul is stuck in a cat’s body. I have no good reason for this other than that he is simply adorable!

All in all, I really liked this anime but I didn’t think it deserved more than 3.5 stars because, having finished it not even a month ago I can’t honestly recall what happened in the end. This says two things to me – one, that it is forgettable, and two – that the ending didn’t really make an impact, which is something I really look for in a good anime. Darker Than Black has a decent English dub, good animation, a unique plot, likable characters and a good amount of action, but it just didn’t stick with me like other anime has.

Warnings and Praises: No outstanding warnings or praises – it’s got blood in the battle scenes but nothing that really stands out to me. **Watch the trailer for a preview of the violence that is pretty rampant throughout the series

bayoudragon
                  Participant

omg, that’s one heck of a list!! … well, there’s at least 6 I won’t have to do. LOL! *ponders other possibilities*

What to review, what to review… hmmm…. I know!!
                    Hee heeee… I am such a kid… and a GEEK! 😆

Title: Zoids: New Century Zero

Synopsis: Zoids are animal-shaped mechanical life forms found on the planet Zi. In this series, zoids are no longer used for warfare but instead are piloted in zoid tournament battles. The story revolves around Bit Cloud, a junk dealer. Bit accidentally ruins a match involving the Blitz Team while looking for spare parts. He ends up joining the Blitz Team when they find he can pilot one of their zoids, the Liger Zero, which is temperamental and doesn’t let anyone pilot it. Later in the series, the Team learns that Liger is an Ultimate X zoid, a zoid capable of learning from previous experiences due to a special intelligence system. This draws the attention of the Backdraft Group, a shady organization that highjacks battles and likes to spice things up a bit. After failing to steal the Liger, the Backdraft eventually locate their own Ultimate X zoid, the Berserk Fury. The series culminates with the Royal Cup, where the Blitz Team battles other series rivals and the Backdraft’s Berserk Fury.

OMG… finding clips/videos for this one was a nightmare! There’s very little except a million utterly horrendous AMVs. :puke:
                    This one is not TOO bad Revolves around one zoid, but it shows a few of the others.

Bit meets Liger Zero This is the second part of the first episode. If you want to catch it from the beginning, it’s z1p1 (Zoids 1, part 1). This has some of the original theme music (“No Future”).

Star Rating:

Review: I REALLY like this series. It’s light and fun, it has some great battle scenes, it has a pretty simple plot, and it’s also kid-friendly. There are many humorous moments throughout the entire series. The interactions between the characters are great – between both teammates and rivals. This is especially true when it comes to the enthusiastically trigger-happy Leena. The CGI is blended in nicely with the animation, and the music is a great plus, too.

Warnings and Praises: Kid-friendly… I would have no problem sitting down with my little nephew and watching this (although, I’m probably the bigger kid…LOL). The release I have only has the English dubbed version. I never bothered looking for the original Japanese release because the English version is actually really good. Most dubbed anime makes me cringe. >.<

Edit: I just realized that the English voice actor for Bit Cloud (Richard Ian Cox) is also the voice actor for InuYasha!

Related FYI: Zoids started as a line of model-kit toys, and the animes, books, and games were developed from the backstories to increase the franchise. Exploit the market! LOL! There are 4 anime series (that I know of) based off the Zoid line – Zoids: New Century Zero, Zoids: Chaotic Century, Zoids: Fuzors, and Zoids: Genesis. New Century Zero I really like. I can’t give a review for the others, but… Chaotic Century I remember seeing parts of, Fuzors I couldn’t get into, and after that I just didn’t bother with Genesis. It may have been that the American adaptations turned me off to the others. I’m not sure. I just remember they weren’t really worth it. I don’t know… maybe I just need the original Japanese versions of the other three. 😕

Hannah
                    Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

omg… well, there’s at least 6 I won’t have to do. LOL!

*ponders other possibilities*

Still – if your opinion differs, or you have anything else to add, I’d love to hear it!! I’ve been putting multiple people’s star ratings for certain animes, because it’s always good to see what everyone’s opinion is! You could give an anime 5 stars that I would only give 3, and that doesn’t mean that either of us are wrong! On the other hand, we could all give certain animes 5 stars and it would probably help direct people that are new to the genre or have never seen the series to move it to the top of their list. That said, even if you have nothing to say about one that’s already been done, I’d love to add your star rating 😀

Duld
                      Participant

I can’t believe I neglected you guys long enough to miss this . . . . I’m a be a regular

Kujacker
                        Participant

Interesting picture to pick for Ushio and Tora. I would have picked something with Ushio and Tora in it. I loved that series. I tried to get my hands on the manga but it’s impossible for find.
                          Weiss Kreuz did the same thing. Went to x amount of episodes then just suddenly ended.

I won’t review anything, because reviews are all opinions. Most of the things that are being named 4 and 5 stars here I can’t agree with… and IZ isn’t an anime… stuff like that. So I’d be contradicting some reviews lol.

I had a long blurb here, but I deleted it.

Don’t know why I fell out of anime as I did 😕

Hannah
                          Participant

Kujacker – please PLEASE review things, even if it’s an “oh i don’t agree with that, i’d only give it 1 star!” (I only put up the form to review things for the more long-winded responses, you don’t have to follow it!) I really honestly want your opinion on things – this thread wasn’t intended to be a ‘praise all anime’ thread, but specifically to get different opinions on different shows (I know that’s exactly what reviews are, I respect everyone’s opinion even if you disagree with me!). I tend to review things that I liked, just because that’s what I remember, but I’ll try to dig up some things I didn’t like in the past in the hopes that someone disagrees with me 😆

bayoudragon
                            Participant

BRoS wrote:

I can’t believe I neglected you guys long enough to miss this . . . . I’m a be a regular

Yeah! No leaving… now review please. 😀

Jerusha
                              Participant

Sadly, I don’t have enough time to do the official reviewing thing. But I DO have enough time to toss my two cents on what’s been covered!

Of all that I’ve seen and has been reviewed so far, I’d have to say my top two faves are Trigun and Escaflowne, tied. Vash the Stampede from Trigun is my all-time favorite anime character (Ok, imagine a live-action Trigun with David Tennant as Vash? squeek* ). I liked them both more than, for example, Cowboy Bebop (which felt like a loooong collection of short stories to me, which all happen to have the same characters and contain a very few long-running plot lines) or Fullmetal Alchemist (which I enjoyed, but felt written for a younger crowd).

Once a long time ago I saw the entire Evangelion series, except it had been taped off TV and fan-dubbed. So, I think I need to watch it again! 😀

I enjoyed Fruits Basket too, but would only give it 3.5 stars, because it doesn’t have the depth that wins 4 – 5 stars out of me.

I saw FLCL, and I’m with the “WTF” crowd on that one. Don’t love it, don’t hate it. Just… it makes my head hurt.

Anybody familiar with Magic Knight Rayearth, Oh My Goddess, Shamanic Princess, Ceres: Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yuugi?
                                Just some that stick in my mind as ones that rate 4-ish stars for me.

And, I have a question. When I was a kid (back in the early to mid-80s), I saw this anime and I’ve been looking for it ever since. I don’t remember the name, and I’ve never seen it since the one time my parents rented it for me. All I know is, the main character’s name is Wendy, she plays flute, she’s NOT from Earth, and she is searching for a rose that is rainbow-colored. The movie my parents rented had three episodes on it (I think). Anyone know what it is? Anyone?

drag0nfeathers
                                Participant

I added Welcome to the NHK and My Hime on page 3 and now I give you my Saiyuki review! 😀 I FREAKING LOVE THIS SERIES!!!

Title: Saiyuki

Synopsis: “If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your father, kill your father. Free of everything, you are bound by nothing. Live the life that is given to you.” These are the words of Genjo Sanzo, a rogue priest with a bad attitude who is forced to team up with three demons – Sha Gojyo, Son Goku, and Cho Hakkai as they embark on a perilous journey west! Many years ago, humans and demons lived in harmony. But that unity ended when demons started attacking humans and plotted a mission to unleash Gyumao – an evil demon imprisoned for thousands of years. Now, this team of misfits must team up to stop these demons from resurrecting Gyumao and restore the balance between humans and demons on Earth… as much as they would rather be doing something else.

Star Rating:

Review: This series was awesome and so many ways! After the first couple of episides you have already fallen in love with the cast whether it be the seemingly forever angered priest Sanzo, the always calm and polite Hakkai, the rambunctious and forever hungry Goku, or the swave pervert Gojyo! The only thing these 4 do better then fight demons is pick on eachother! It’s hysterical! The voice cast was awesome, but the animation is lacking. The other seasons have a lot better animation, but they butchered the original voice cast which really ticked me off cause they did a HORRIBLE JOB replacing them. It just wasn’t the same. I would give Saiyuki Reload (the 2nd season) probably 3 starts, and Saiyuki Gunlock (the 3rd season) two stars.

Warnings and Praises: Some mild violence and a lot of potty humor and adult language. The series does get a little boring from time to time because of those stupid action sequences that are of a still frame character with flashing lines zipping by in the background, (reminded me of old school Dragonball Z animation) but overall I really enjoyed it. It was a very good story.

In case you are interested, here are a few of my favorite clips (be warned, there is coarse language)
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDX415iI8t0
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxccGSHtnWI

Got a busted Windstone?
                                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                                  Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 210 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.