fbpx

Anime Reviews

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anime Reviews

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

Gah! I need to watch some of these, you’re on a roll lately Bayou! 😀 The list on the first page has gotten pretty impressive ^^

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

bayoudragon
      Participant

<—- has no life. XD LOL!

Actually, this is what the hubby and I do for quality time. We don't go to fancy resturaunts or the park. We shut ourselves in, grab some ice cream, and veg while watching anime. :bigsmile:

Our work schedules are about to deviate a bit, so this will be it for a while… unless I go through the collection again and see what I have. I had watched Bamboo Blade fairly recently so it was still fresh. I would have to watch the other stuff again to be able to accurately review it. oh, darn…

bayoudragon
        Participant

double post burp!

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

It’s been a long time now. Sorry guys! I just watched this whole series in about one and a half days because I just could not stop watching it after this AMV i saw at the anime convention.

Title: Toradora!

Synopsis: Toradora! begins with RyÅ«ji Takasu who is frustrated because despite his gentle personality, his eyes make him look like an intimidating delinquent. He is utterly hopeless about his chances of getting a girlfriend anytime soon, and does not have many close friends either. Did I mention he is obsessed with cooking and cleaning and would make a great housewife? After being greeted by his hungover mother in the morning, RyÅ«ji goes to school and is happy to find that he gets to be in the same class with his best friend YÅ«saku Kitamura and a girl he has a crush on, Minori Kushieda. However, it is then that he unexpectedly knocks into “the school’s most dangerous animal the “palm sized Tiger” Taiga Aisaka, who just happens to also be in his class, and is a good friend of Minori.

Taiga has a negative attitude towards others and will not hesitate to snap at people. After meeting RyÅ«ji, she takes an instant dislike to him. Taiga comes from a rich family, but she has moved out to live on her own due to family issues. She is coincidentally living in an apartment next to RyÅ«ji’s. When RyÅ«ji discovers that Taiga has a crush on YÅ«saku, and Taiga finds out about RyÅ«ji’s affections towards Minori, RyÅ«ji suggests that they cooperate to win the objects of their affections. Taiga exploits the fact that RyÅ«ji will do anything to get closer to Minori. She makes him her personal servant, getting him to do all her household chores (cooking and cleaning). Taiga spends a lot of her time over at his house, so much that she could almost be considered a member of his family. Since RyÅ«ji spends a lot of time with Taiga, he has opened up to her world and to a side of her that most people do not see. The two also try to help each other improve the way people view them. However people they know from school start to become curious about their strange relationship and rumors begin to spread about them behind their backs. RyÅ«ji and Taiga start getting along more and in the end will they be the ones who end up together despite trying their efforts to get them with eachothers crushes?

Star Rating:

Review: Okay, so I saw this AMV I really liked at the convention I was at and it was a series I had never heard of. It peeked my interest and when I did some more investigating it’s only aired in Japan at this point so if you want to watch it you need to look for a dubbed version. Lots of online sites will let you watch it for free, I used http://www.otakucenter.com as I usually do.

Anyway, it was a really cute drama I have to say. I almost teared up a bit at the end. I thought the ending was a real downer, but if you wait until the credits end it’s a lot better ^_^ I was almost really mad! There was humor and comedy, broken hearts and a little romance. Overall it was a real “sit down with popcorn and chocolate” and watch you your hearts content kind of series. I watched all 25 episodes in a matter of a day and a half.

Warnings and Praises: There is a little violence when some girls get into some catfights, but nothing worse thena bar room brawl. A few perverted remarks, but even then it was all PG for the most part. The partial nudity there was, was very brief and I guess the most unusual part is when RyÅ«ji has to make Taiga some fake brests to fill her swimsuit, but even then you didn’t see anything bad. It was pretty funny though.

The series was really adorable and sort of make you want to relive your old highschool days. It was one of those *sigh* if I could only be that young again series ^_^

Just in case you were interested, this is the AMV that made me want to watch it in the first place. The video doesn’t really spoil the series too much, but it does give you the wrong idea to what’s going on. The two in the video aren’t even a couple, but it did make for a good watch! LOL! FYI, the song is a little risque.

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

bayoudragon
            Participant

Gonna add this one to my watch list as well. 🙂

I go to crunchyroll.com sometimes… but I noticed that otakucenter has the first season of Digimon!!! Woot! Yeah, nostalgia!! :bigsmile:

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

I never would have given Soul Eater a second thought, but now that I saw your review I am anxiously awaiting the box set release next month! I can’t wait to watch it! ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

bayoudragon
                Participant

It’s funny how an AMV will make you want to watch a series. This was the video I came across that finally made we want to watch Soul Eater (plus it had a rating of Excellent on AnimeNewsNetwork). I didn’t want to post it because I didn’t want to give the wrong impression. The video makes it look a lot creepier than it really is. LOL!

This is Halloween

I then looked up the first few episodes on YouTube… quickly ordered the series shortly after. :bigsmile:

Hannah
                  Participant

Hahaha! Awesome. XD
                    I love Marilyn Manson, Halloween, and the Nightmare Before Christmas so that video was fantastic for me! I just started watching Soul Eater as well, while I’ve been finishing up a Keeper for drag0n actually. It’s been really great so far!

bayoudragon
                    Participant

Um, this makes three in a row for me… I think this means I don’t have a life. It’s someone else’s turn. LOL! :bigsmile:

Title: Kyo Kara Maoh!

Synopsis: (Taken from AnimeNewsNetwork) Yuri Shibuya was living a pretty normal life. That changed the day he was dunked into a toilet after an attempt to save a classmate from a gang of bullies. Instead of just getting a good soaking, he’s pulled in. The next thing he knows, he’s in a world that vaguely resembles medieval Europe. If that’s not odd enough, he’s told that he is to be the next Maoh, just because he has black hair and black eyes. The Maoh is the King of the Mazoku, who are coexisting not-so-peacefully with the humans in this world. Much to his subjects’ dismay, he’s totally different from the rulers they’re accustomed to. He’s kind, considerate, a believer in justice, and not willing to use violence to solve conflicts. Not exactly someone they want running a country on the very brink of war. Now, Yuri has to deal with trying to become a good Maoh, while at the same time attempting to adapt to this lands’ customs and culture, all in a world where the tension between the humans and Mazoku is reaching its peak.

Star Rating:

Review: Welcome to a world where dragons are a protected species, sharks are vegetarians, giant pandas live under the desert sand, and the standard-issue underwear throughout the kingdom is a black G-string. LOL! While the series doesn’t have any epic fight scenes or amazing animation, it’s quite entertaining. It’s light-hearted, fun, and somewhat silly; I seriously laughed, giggled, and snorted the whole way through. It’s all about poor Yuri trying to be the best Demon King he can be… even if his soft-hearted methods are not what everyone else is expecting, and his actions often place him into all sorts of predicaments. It’s really fun to watch, and I found it to be quite an enjoyable series. 🙂

Behold the terrible and all-powerful Demon Sword, Morgif! lmao! XD

Warnings and Praises: Amazingly, there’s almost no blood in this series (unless you count Lord Gunter’s little nosebleed….LOL!) There are a couple of darker moments towards the end. For example, someone loses an arm… but the way the scene is drawn, you don’t really see it happen and there’s only a small amount of blood.

There’s some adult humor, but nothing serious. Since Yuri travels between the two worlds via water (such as unexpectedly down the bath drain), he’ll occasionally arrive in the other world naked. Also, a couple of the male characters have a very strong affection for Yuri, but it’s not something anyone should find offensive. I mean, my husband enjoyed this series and even asked me when we were going to get the second season. It’s ordered and on the way!

EDIT: Watched the second season… it’s better than the first and wraps up all the loose ends. It has a great ending, too!
                      Season 1 (episodes 1-39)
                      Season 2 (episodes 40-78)

Opening theme

AMV – Macho Man! – There are practically no clips for this series, and I couldn’t even find a trailer… so I went with this one. LOL! :bigsmile:

Hannah
                      Participant

XD I’ve been watching Soul Eater and it’s awesome! It’s definitely got some of my favorite animation, the art in this series is riiiight up my alley with the Halloween feel!

I love the moon and the sun – I love that they’re almost like characters themselves what with all the posters in the background with them on it like they’re celebrities, and how once in a while the characters from the show will reference them. Is the moon grinding his teeth? And what’s the sun doing, is he laughing? Panting?

Also, Excalibur is AWESOME. He’s easily my favorite weapon in the show – the one episode where Ox goes to see him had me in stitches XD … fools! XD

Death the Kid and Black Star meet Excalibur
                        The clip is in english (I watch the english dub on netflix so it’s all I know) and you may have to turn it up.. but it cracks me up XD

Hannah
                        Participant

To make things easier and more uniform, I’ve created a simple form to use in your posts as well – please give a brief description of each anime (without revealing any spoilers!!) if it has not been listed before. To use the form and the star ratings, just quote this post and copy/paste as you see fit (remove the quote tags)!

Title:

Synopsis:

Star Rating:

Review:

Warnings and Praises:

Directory of Shows

NAME OF ANIME / (NAME OF REVIEWER) / POST #

Afro Samurai
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #84

Bamboo Blade
                          (Bayoudragon) Post #137

Birdy the Mighty
                          (Yeral) Post #130

Bleach
                          (bayoudragon)

Blood+
                          (Yeral) Post #55

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #64

Bubblegum Crisis
                          (Elvira) Post #74

Cardcaptor Sakura
                          (bayoudragon) Post #5

Cat Sh*t One
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #81

Chrono Crusade
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #63

Clannad
                          (Yeral) Post #109

Cowboy Bebop
                          (Yeral) Post #26

Darker Than Black
                          (Yeral) Post #43

Dead Leaves
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #22

Deathnote
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #29

Desert Punk
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #67

Devil May Cry
                          (bayoudragon) Post #77

Elfen Lied
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #3

Escaflowne the Movie
                          (bayoudragon) Post #35

FLCL
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #24

Fruits Basket
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #20
                          (Jerusha) page 3
                          (Yeral) page 7
                          (bayoudragon) page 7

Fullmetal Alchemist
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #9
                          (Yeral) Post #10

Gantz
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #34

Ghost Hound
                          (Yeral) Post #101

Ghost Stories
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #16

Ginga Dentsu Weed
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #73

Hellsing
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #38

InuYasha
                          (bayoudragon) Post #82

Invader Zim
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #18
                          (Yeral) Post #19

Izumo: Takeki Tsurugi no Senki
                          (Bayoudragon) Post #122

Kyo Kara Maoh
                          (Bayoudragon) Post #123

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #118

Morbito – Guardian of the Spirit
                          (Siberakh1) Post #62

Mushishi
                          (Yeral) Post #60

My Hime
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #41

Nana
                          (Yeral) Post #4

Naruto
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #68

Neon Genesis Evangelion
                          (Yeral) Post #25

Origin – Spirits of the Past
                          (bayoudragon) Post #149

Ouran Highschool Host Club
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #6
                          (Yeral) Post #78

the Sacred Blacksmith
                          (Yeral) Post #131

Saiyuki
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #53
                          (bayoudragon) Post #115

Samurai Champloo
                          (Yeral) Post #2
                          (bayoudragon) Post #115

Soul Eater
                          (Bayoudragon) Post #134

Those Who Hunt Elves
                          (bayoudragon) Post #32

Toradora!
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #141

Trigun
                          (bayoudragon) Post #30

Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
                          (bayoudragon) Post #121

Ushio & Tora
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #12

The Vision of Escaflowne
                          (bayoudragon) Post #35

Welcome to the NHK
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #39

Wolf’s Rain
                          (drag0nfeathers) Post #75
                          (bayoudragon) Post #76

Yuyu Hakusho
                          (bayoudragon) Post #71

Zoids: New Century Zero
                          (bayoudragon) Post #44

bayoudragon
                          Participant

LOL! OMG, it’s just as funny in english as it is in Japanese! HA! But I just love hearing “BAKA!” over and over in the Japanese version. XD

Glad you are enjoying it!! 🙂 When you are done, look for an AMV by the same guy who did the “This is Halloween” one. It’s called Ringleader. Yes, it’s done to a Britney Spears song. The ending is HYSTERICAL!! It had too many spoilers to post… but watch it when you are finished. LOL!! :bigsmile:

This is unrelated to Soul Eater… I just love YouTube. I can search for hours through trailers, clips, and AMVs. I found this. XD

Oh Jesus!

Carolyn
                            Participant

I’m not a good reviewer . But these are my faverites.

Black Jack ( an unlicensed surgeon who as a child was in an accident that nearly killed him . Until a master surgeon saved his life , then thought him the craft ) I just adore Black Jack . Wonderful character created by Osamu Tesuka . Who is considered the God of Manga . Yes I read the manga too . But the anime is very good too .

Howl’s Moving Castle ( magical )

bayoudragon
                              Participant

I have yet to see Howl’s Moving Castle. I really need to watch that one.

(My favorites by Miyazaki are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away) 🙂

Lupuslunae
                                Participant

(My favorites by Miyazaki are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away) 🙂

Princess Mononoke is also my favorite, but Howl’s Moving Castle is fun because it’s also a book by Diane Wynn Jones, one of my favorite authors when I was a kid.

If you dig Howl’s Moving Castle, there are two sequel books, Castle in the Air (NOT related to the Miyazaki film Castle in the Sky) and House of Many Ways. All kids to YA level books, but they are damn cute.

Miyazaki has a thing about adapting books he likes. Did anyone ever see the Miyazaki Earthsea movie? I think they were dubbing it in English soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 210 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.