fbpx

Am I insane?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Am I insane?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I agree with most of the people on the forum. Your baby is more important than things like EMT cert.

I know that here, my roomie, if he would have dropped his EMT would have (eventually) got his money back, so it might be the same there too.

Congrats and good luck on the pregnancy!

laphon1
    Participant

Your baby is more important than a class or certification. From what you have said, you signed up for this class in good faith. The fact that you are now pregnant, and high risk at that, changes things.

Talk to your OB. Tell him/her your concerns especially the part about driving on the worst road(s) in the county and the risk of falling and being thrown about in the back of the ambulance.

If your OB does not share your concerns about this perhaps a new OB is in order. Your baby comes first.

First of all, you are not a “failure” if you choose to quit the class. As was mentioned before, you are making an informed, well thought out choice on what is most important–the life you are carrying.

What about going to your OB and asking for a written explanation/excuse, since you ARE a high risk? Would that carry no weight in the outcome? Between the environmental stress with our current heat and humidity, plus the physical stress of going through the ride in the rig over bad roads, and the mental stress, I think you’re overloading yourself unnecessarily. JMHO…..

Andrea
      Participant

Did you sign an agreement saying you’d complete the course or reimburse them? If not, I can’t see how you’d be liable.
        See if you can get a raincheck due to medical emergency.
        Good luck! The hard part is over. You’ve made the decision, now you just have to close the issues out.

Katherine
        Participant

Yes, don’t view yourself as a failure…you are far from it! See if you can’t talk to whoever is in charge of the costs for the class, and explain your high risk pregnancy, and possibly arrange a deal to take it after the baby is born. I am proud of whatever decision you make! šŸ˜€

Skigod377
          Participant

I hope you manage to hang in there. I know you are worn out now, but if you can take the class now, you will probably be glad you did later. Dont do anything to harm your pregnancy, though, and if you feel its too much for you, then dont do it. Good luck girl, and I hope your baby is healthy. šŸ™‚

Maria
            Participant

What they said. Baby comes first. Good luck with everything.

Laurie
              Participant

If its a volunteer company I don’t think they will make you pay them back for the class. Just let them know you will still be a member and retake the class after the baby is born and they should be fine. I’ve taken EMT-I and dropped half way through the class and I was never made to pay them back. Also If you did want to finish the class can you ask the instructor if you can push your clinical off until after you have the baby? I can see why you don’t want to do them now being pregnant. I wouldn’t be worried about the bump ambo ride but rather some of the patients you get. I rode the box until I was 6 months pregnant (yeah I had a super woman complex). If I could do it again I would have gone on light duty much faster. You do get the combative patient either from mental illness, trauma, or alcohol. Its no fun having to deal with that when you are pregnant. Even though its not an every day thing to get rowdy patients you never know if the day you do your ride along is the day Joe Blow put his beer muscles on. In the end its up to you if you feel you can finish the class now or not. I would talk to your company officer about it, I’m sure they will help you out.

Edit: I also wanted to add that all you do on ride alongs is observe and take vital signs. They will not let you lift or do anything else (at least thats the way it is around here). Also before you take all the time to go through this class make sure you will be emotionally ready to deal with the calls you will be going on. You will be running everything from sprained ankles, to car accidents and homicides. Will you be able to hold it together when you get that pediatric cardiac arrest or the family member who just found their relative who took their own life? I’ve seen alot of people become an emt only to get an emotional call and crack under the pressure. I don’t think enough people think about what kind of emotional strain this job can have and rush into not knowing what they are getting into.

BDW
                Participant

That baby is more important then anything else so I’m glad you decided to drop the class.
                  Enjoy your pregnancy

I donā€™t know how to do multiple quotes in a post, so bear with me hereā€¦

Laphon~ My OB didnā€™t realize that it was more than a ā€œbook classā€. He wonā€™t let me complete now, itā€™s my fault I wasnā€™t as clear as I should have been when asking if it was okay, but then, I didnā€™t know what was involved myself. Lack of communication all around.

Tasgrs~ Thank you, I just hate to quit anything, but itā€™s not just me whose affected here. If it comes to it, and the instructors wonā€™t let me out, my OB will give me a medical out, I just donā€™t know yet if that will help.

Phoenix~ No, I didnā€™t sign anything officially, so hopefully that will help me. Iā€™m hoping that I can sit in as an observer for lectures and raincheck the labs, etc. and put off the Practical and state exam until after the baby is born.

Eagle~ Thank you!! I hope theyā€™ll understand and all this will be silly tomorrow, that I even worried.

Ski and GB~ Thank you!

PD, I Pmā€™d you back.

It really means a lot to me that you all have been so supportive, I knew I could come here to my Forum Family and you would understand. Class is tonight, and after a long night of not sleeping and being sick to my stomach, Iā€™ll be happy to get it over with. I hope that I am worrying about nothing, and that it will all go well. Iā€™ll let you guys know what happens, but really, Thank You to everyone again! You guys are the best!!

Katherine
                  Participant

Your welcome! I hope your day is not so nautious…boy do I remember those days, but I’d do it all over again!

Andrea
                    Participant

PD brings up a good point about being able to mentally handle it. You’ll be on the greatest hormonal roller coaster ride ever invented šŸ˜†
                      The fatigue was really the hardest thing for me. I only had morning sickness with my daughter and even then it wasn’t so bad. I hope you don’t get it that bad.
                      Just take it easy and enjoy your sleep. Cause you won’t be getting much when the peanut comes šŸ˜†

Ughh….I’m so glad that is over!! All my worrying for nothing. My instructors totally understood. I can sit in and observe class, take the quizzes etc,just for the knowledge. It won’t count for anything of course, but it will help me help my husband. I don’t even have to go to lab days, I don’t even have to go to lecture if I don’t feel like it, and the best part….I don’t owe anybody money!!!!! I’m so relieved, it’s a huge weight off my shoulders! I have been okay with the morning sickness, most of the time, the past 2 days have been worse, but still not horrific, I just loathe being nauseous. Plus, tommorrow marks my 5 year anniversary for being cancer-free, so all is well with my world right now! Thanks again guys!!

Stephanie
                      Participant

Woo! I’m so glad that worked out!

Jasmine
                        Participant

Yay, good news!! šŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.