fbpx

Am I insane?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Am I insane?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I have begun to question my sanity. I haven’t been on the forum alot because I have stepped outside of my mind. Before I left for my honeymoon Zack and I were informed of an upcoming EMT class that we were eligable for through our firehouse. I have always wanted to get my EMT certification, after working in a hospital for 6 years. My hubby is a firefighter, and our dept. responds to alot of medical calls, so he wanted to get certed too. A dear friend of mine, (yes that was delibratly smarmy) who is also a firefighter, our asst chief to be exact, and also captain of the ambulance squad, (and a giant pain in my patootie) talked me into taking the class with my husband. Fine, dandy. The firehouse pays for Zack, but not for me because I am a social member only (read: not crazy enough to run into a burning building). This was fine with me, Zack and I had talked about it, and we were going to pay for my class. Not really a big deal. Will (aformentioned pain in the rear) in his infinate wisdom, also talked me into joining his ambulance squad. (We run out of seperate houses, Fire Dept is strictly our town, the Ambulance services us and the surrounding districts). He has been trying to get me to join the ambulance for some time now, but I was putting it off. So, guillable me, joined the ambulance at his insistance that they will in turn pay for my class, which would be stupid for me to pay for if they’ll do it (his words not mine). All of this seemed like a great idea, until we came home from Florida to find that we are (FINALLY) expecting our firstborn. This would normaly not even be an issue, however, the class we are taking is an accelerated program specifically offered to the fire/ems people. Which means 3 nights a week, Monday, Wednsday, Friday 630pm to 930pm from June untill the middle of August. And 2 saturday classes. The Exam and practical are at the end of August. So what normally would be a year long one night a week class is now warp speed. Every class we have a quiz, every 2 weeks we have a module exam. There is 2-3 chapters of reading for each class. I still would be okay with this under normal circumstances. But they’re not. I am a high-risk pregnancy. I am not allowed to lift more than a gallon of milk, or strain my pelvis in any way. I spoke with my OB, and the instructors, and they gave me an exemption for the lifting labs, etc. OB says I can safely take the class, or I would have dropped it. The problem is, I’m exhausted. And nauseous. And cranky and hormonal. I’m basically not the nice person I usually am. And to top it off, I don’t really want to be on the ambulance squad. They’re not nice, well some of them are, but I am not a joiner. People intimidate me. I was agoraphobic for a long time, and while I have mostly gotten past that, I still don’t do well in situations like that. I would have rather paid for the class than be obligated to the ambulance squad. So I am really uncomfortable about the whole thing. I’m tired, I don’t really want to do the class anymore, but if I don’t do it now, I never will. And the material is easy for me, I just get intimidated when we do labs. Especially because they had to make an exception for me, and I feel guilty that I don’t have to do the same stuff everyone else does. And I’m showing (yeah, that was really quick) so I feel like I shouldn’t be there. I won’t finish this class untill my 18th week of pregnancy, and it’s really running me ragged. I just don’t know what to do, and I feel like I’m crazy for even trying. Sorry for the giant post, but I needed to vent, and you guys are the best!

Stephanie
    Participant

Hugs!

It sounds to me like you really don’t want to be in the situation you’re in. It seems like you’re trying to talk yourself into dropping the class and quitting the ambulance squad. Which, from the way you wrote about it, seems like it’s the best thing for you!

I’d talk to your hubby and see what he thinks, but from here it sounds like you really want to quit. Focus on your pregnancy instead – that’s the exciting thing!

And congratulations!

lamortefille
      Participant

Since it is a high-risk pregnancy, if I were you I would drop everything else and focus on taking care of myself and the baby. You sound unhappy with the class and the stress over that can’t be good for you. You can always take the class at another point in your life. If you never do, it wasn’t meant to be.

Congrats! *hugs*

Katherine
        Participant

Yes, don’t stress yourself out, especially since this is a high risk pregnancy. I think you should forget about the classes, because the more stress, the worse it will be, and so more stress will build as a result. The baby is more important than this class. πŸ˜‰

Jasmine
          Participant

Ditto to what everyone else says. You don’t sound like you want to be there and you need to take care of yourself and little bean.

Laurie
            Participant

I just read this as I’m walking out the door for work. Don’t let them intimidate you, when I took my emt B I had a sprained shoulder and couldn’t do the lifting labs either. If you need help with class let me know. I’ll respond more to this when I get off of work in 14 hours.

Andrea
              Participant

If you didn’t sign a contract agreeing to be on the squad, they can’t hold you repsonsible for dropping out. How much is the class?
                I’m not saying take the class for free and renig, but at least if you totally hate it, you have an out.
                If the class is a ton of $, I’d tough it out.

I was one of those women that got totally fatigued the first 8 weeks of pg, so I totally get how tired you are. But if the class is important to you and you think later you will be kicking yourself for not using the opportunity, then I would tough it out.

If you just totally are interested, drop out.

And congrats on the baby!

dragonmedley
                Participant

Phoenix wrote:

If you didn’t sign a contract agreeing to be on the squad, they can’t hold you repsonsible for dropping out. How much is the class?
                  I’m not saying take the class for free and renig, but at least if you totally hate it, you have an out.
                  If the class is a ton of $, I’d tough it out.

I was one of those women that got totally fatigued the first 8 weeks of pg, so I totally get how tired you are. But if the class is important to you and you think later you will be kicking yourself for not using the opportunity, then I would tough it out.

If you just totally are interested, drop out.

And congrats on the baby!

My thoughts exactly. Take a deep breath and a metaphorical step back and decide what you really want.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

Isn’t this forum the perfect place to rant and get advice? πŸ˜‰ I can only imagine the stress you must be feeling right now. I would stick with the class for about a week and see how you feel from there, then do what you think is best for you and your baby. Congratulations on your baby! You’re showing already?? 😯

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Very good advice from everyone. I second it. About what you said… “If I don’t do it now, it’ll never get done”… You will be able to do it later… you may have to wait until your little bean is in Kindergarten or school, but you’ll still be able to take the class. Speaking from the high risk pregnancy point of view, I wouldn’t do anything that I wasn’t enthusiastic about. Enjoy the pregnancy; I wish I’d been able to enjoy mine more ’cause it turned out to be our only one…. (you can vent & rant here anytime. Isn’t that what we’re here for?)

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Thank you guys for your support!! My husband and I talked about it for a long time. He thinks I should drop the class. The risk to the baby isn’t worth the reward. It isn’t the material or the bookwork or the tests that are the problem. It’s the physical stuff. I was exempted from the lift labs, but next week we have lab that is in the back of an ambulance, driving fast on the worst road that can be found in the county, lots of bumps and tosses, and an awful lot of pelvic strain, not to mention the risk of falling, which happens quite a bit. Not to mention I am required to do 16 hours of ride time with an ALS (advanced life support) unit in the next couple weeks. I feel like I am a failure for not finishing this class. But my child is more important. I would never forgive myself if something happened. I don’t know if I can get out of the class though. I might end up stuck with a $700 bill. I don’t have that kind of money. I blame myself for even starting this class, but when we signed up, we had no idea we’d be pregnant. By the time we found out, class had started. I don’t know what to do now, I can’t safely finish this class, and I don’t know if they’ll let me drop. Without costing a fortune. I guess we’ll find out tommorrow, I’m just so upset right now.

darjeb
                      Participant

No matter what your decision is your health and the life of your baby should come first. As for the $700 if you explained about your hi-risk pg is it possible they would either refund your money or let you drop it for now and take the class at a later date?

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

You are not a failure for not completeing the class. You are an intelligent woman who is making an informed decision with the support of her husband/life partner about what is best for her & the family. No guilty feelings allowed! No feeling like a failure! The Mum hath spoken. So there! πŸ˜€ Besides, we’re the only people whose oppinions matter (well, hubby too) and we know that you will make the right choice and the best choice for your family.

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

darjeb wrote:

No matter what your decision is your health and the life of your baby should come first. As for the $700 if you explained about your hi-risk pg is it possible they would either refund your money or let you drop it for now and take the class at a later date?

The problem is, the Ambulance company is paying for the class, not me, If I drop I don’t know if I am responsible for the class. I know if I fail I am. My baby comes first, even if I have to go to small claims court over it. I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.