fbpx

2019 New taxes to some states

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 2019 New taxes to some states

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LZ
    Participant

I think the second one is not correct. If it’s all based on buyer location, then eBay will take the tax your state wants, not the seller’s state of Washington, if your state has internet sales tax.

I think I am getting this. The tax the seller pays is income tax, with those lovely end-of-year IRS forms we all love. That’s why this new tax thing is all based on the buyer’s location. eBay doing this removes the work the seller was supposed to be doing of collecting the taxes from buyers and giving the payments to each freaking state their customers live in.

So now, if it was not already happening, every Windstone eBay test paint is going to have a tax added on to the winner’s bill, according to the winner’s state sales tax laws. Windstone won’t even have to do anything about it. It will have to be something bidders now consider, especially when the bids go very high.

For Windstone store items, I don’t know. I remember NY had passed a law years ago that when filing state taxes, you had to disclose the total amount you paid in online purchases made ANYWHERE in the country, so that NY could collect the appropriate amount of sales tax from you. Ha. Ha ha ha ha. I am so sure people were all so honest when doing that.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

GardenNinja
      Participant

No doubt!
        Sales tax-free internet shopping was great while it lasted, but I don’t think we are really in a position to complain that it is ending.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

LZ
        Participant

Canadians are allowed to make a certain amount of duty-free purchases each year when they come into the US. They just chose not to do it to the state closest to the border! Saving those few extra dollars. When I’ve stopped at rest stops between NJ and NY, I’ve seen vehicles with Canadian plates jammed full of Costco bags so that they can’t even see out the back window. There’s no way to hide that when crossing. lol

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

tig3r06
          Participant

I just really wanted to give a heads up cuz it could add quite a bit when the bidding goes high and so buyers/sellers know about it.

GardenNinja
            Participant

Yup. It will probably be a nasty surprise for some buyers who don’t hear about it. I hope it doesn’t lead to people backing out of purchases because they bid the most they could afford without considering sales tax.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.