Zelda's PYOs – Sushi Cats!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Zelda's PYOs – Sushi Cats!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Hi all! It’s been forever since I’ve actually painted a PYO, and though I have a long line of pieces and ideas, when the sushi cats came out they just had to cut in front ๐Ÿ™‚

These guys are painted to look my two own kitties – my dearly departed Marmalade (orange tabby with a really reduced pattern) and current cat Loki (a Maine Coon mix). Their patterns are quite simplified, but still accurate! I had quite a bit of fun planning their design. The bibs are the traditional maneki neko red and their ornaments are gold to make up for the fact that they’re not holding gold coins. Their bibs are decorated with their favorite things (catnip and Loki’s favorite blue ribbon toy). It also works out that I was able to paint their sushi to mirror their favorite foods – tuna, whitefish, and salmon!
       photo P1010570 640x480_zpsyewk1eur.jpg
       photo P1010572 640x480_zps2zk9rhvl.jpg
       photo IMG_3249 640x480_zpsdzhjujoj.jpg
       photo P1010585 480x640_zpsoobnfjbe.jpg
       photo P1010584 480x640_zpssalpzhsm.jpg
      While I love the smooth finish of these pieces, it created a couple of problems for me. First, I used old paint, which stuck in clumps when it was brushed on, despite my best attempts at mixing or fishing the clumps out ๐Ÿ™ Second, the matte finish clearcoat I used ended up coming out much glossier than anticipated, which makes the clumps stand out even more in bright light! They’re very hard to see in their normal bookshelf environment though, so it’s okay ๐Ÿ™‚
      I adore these two – thank you Melody for creating such charming sculpts!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Scathach
      Participant

Hi all! It’s been forever since I’ve actually painted a PYO, and though I have a long line of pieces and ideas, when the sushi cats came out they just had to cut in front ๐Ÿ™‚

These guys are painted to look my two own kitties – my dearly departed Marmalade (orange tabby with a really reduced pattern) and current cat Loki (a Maine Coon mix). Their patterns are quite simplified, but still accurate! I had quite a bit of fun planning their design. The bibs are the traditional maneki neko red and their ornaments are gold to make up for the fact that they’re not holding gold coins. Their bibs are decorated with their favorite things (catnip and Loki’s favorite blue ribbon toy). It also works out that I was able to paint their sushi to mirror their favorite foods – tuna, whitefish, and salmon!
         photo P1010570 640x480_zpsyewk1eur.jpg
         photo P1010572 640x480_zps2zk9rhvl.jpg
         photo IMG_3249 640x480_zpsdzhjujoj.jpg
         photo P1010585 480x640_zpsoobnfjbe.jpg
         photo P1010584 480x640_zpssalpzhsm.jpg
        While I love the smooth finish of these pieces, it created a couple of problems for me. First, I used old paint, which stuck in clumps when it was brushed on, despite my best attempts at mixing or fishing the clumps out ๐Ÿ™ Second, the matte finish clearcoat I used ended up coming out much glossier than anticipated, which makes the clumps stand out even more in bright light! They’re very hard to see in their normal bookshelf environment though, so it’s okay ๐Ÿ™‚
        I adore these two – thank you Melody for creating such charming sculpts!

Very nice!

Life is beautiful.

Hannah
        Participant

Super cute!! Nice job Zelda!

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Kim
          Blocked

Those are so cute!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Betrluk1
            Participant

Dang it! Now I want sushi after seeing those little rolls….Great job Zelda!

Prezaurian
              Participant

They’re very cute. Congratulations on getting them done!

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

Those are super cute!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Betrluk1
                  Participant

….and i got sushi today….

Zelda
                    Participant

Thanks everyone! I never have enough sushi in my life, haha! From now on I’ll have to attribute my good fortune of eating it to my kitties ๐Ÿ™‚

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Landipan
                      Participant

Aw, I love ’em! I need to get me a sushi cat one of these days.

*Formerly meowmix101
                        Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Rylorien
                        Participant

It’s adorable how you painted the cats favorite things on the bibs! Even with the fur patterns being simplified, the line-work looks smooth and spectacular. And I love the subtlety of the markings on the tabby.

Melody
                          Keymaster

Those cats are just adorable!!

Zelda
                            Participant

Wheee, thank you Melody! ๐Ÿ˜€ I have such a waiting list of my PYOs to paint that it’s intimidating at this point, hah. These seemed like something I could tackle, and the results are so bright and cheerful. Can’t help but smile whenever I look at them!

Rylorien, thanks for the compliments on the stripes. I was huddled over those with a teeny brush, hoping I didn’t sneeze! Marmalade did have very subtle stripes on her. She had a mottled appearance to her belly which I had to leave out, or else I think I’d still be painting ๐Ÿ™‚ Loki had to get edited down too – she has ticked fur which would probably have been impossible to get across right on such a smooth figure. I’ll be attempting a more realistic portrayal with the PYO winged cat, someday.

Ferlin1984
                              Participant

I think they are adorable! You did such a great job!

Natasha
                                Participant

They are so cute!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                                  ANY Red Eyed Unis
                                  ANY Test Paint Bat
                                  UNIS:
                                  The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                                  Male- Snow Leopard TP
                                  White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                                  Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                                  Mother: Okapi
                                  Gothic - Mahogany
                                  PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                                  DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.