Your First Windstone

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Your First Windstone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Asterisktrine
    Participant

Hello everyone! Sorry for such a lengthy post.. I know there’s an old thread about this topic in particular, but it’s been a while (I think. Hopefully this hasn’t already been done since the 2014 topic). So I wanted to see if there was anyone interested in sharing what their first Windstone was?
      My very first windstone was a Peacock mother. A friend of mine had one that she found at a flea market way back in about 2010/2011. I was so so jealous and always wanted one. Then in 2019, while shopping at a local thrift store, I spotted her! Same type and color! I remember actually squealing. The look on the other shopper’s faces was priceless. Anyways, it felt so serendipitous and it really kicked off my want to collect. I’m really interested in how you all got started/ what your first piece was. Thanks!

veryalive
      Participant

A Windstone at a thrift store?! What a great find!

I first saw the Windstone peacock beauties when I was a little kid in about 1987. Unsurprisingly the grown ups declined to buy me one to go with my toys, so I had to wait until my first teenage job working at K-mart to buy myself the male dragon in peacock. He was well worth the wait and I’ve been happy to add several more beauties to my collection since then.

Asterisktrine
        Participant

I know. I couldn’t believe my luck. Wow! You’ve been a longtime fan then. Thanks for sharing 💙

pipsxlch
          Participant

I graduated high school in ’86, and was working a summer job at an ice cream parlor in a tourist trap area. I didn’t have a car; if I didn’t borrow my sister’s she/her boyfriend/some friends would give me rides to/from. Sometimes I had to wait awhile and would wander through shops in the district. I went into a gift shop one day, and on a table in the back were the original dragon families in brown and old green. I was instantly head over heels, and worked out a payment plan with the owner for the green set. 35 years later, they’re still here- along with lots of other dragons.

P.S. Asteriskine- that bright peacock fledge matches the carnival glass bowl so well!

Asterisktrine
            Participant

@pipsxlch Thank you for sharing! Makes me so happy 😊

BigCatKeeper
              Participant

When I was little, I would spend ages in Wicks ‘n Sticks and East Meets West oogling the Windstone dragons. They were all too expensive for my parents, but I was finally able to get them to agree to buy me one of the cat gargoyles for a birthday present.

I was certain I wanted the bat-winged one, but at the last minute I changed my mind and went with the feather-winged kitty. It is somewhere safely packed away in my parents’ house, still. They moved and I haven’t gotten a chance to root her out yet.

To this day, I still wish I’d been able to get both. I keep an eye out for the bat-wing at a reasonable price, but they don’t pop up often. One was just on eBay last week, but I didn’t manage to get him. The hunt continues 🙂

Asterisktrine
                Participant

@BigCatKeeper The cat gargoyles are so cute! I hope you find your bat-wing someday!

Bodine
                  Participant

Hi there,thrift store finds must be great.I have never had that good luck.Glad you decided to join us.
                    My 1st.Windstone was a white coiled mother.I had never seen a dragon with such serene beauty.It was in Wisks’n’Sticks in 1998.She was $55,I put her on layaway for my mother’s day gift to myself.Yep,I was that broke but $5. started me on my Windstone love.My collection has grown and dwindled and grown and dwindled but my little beautiful white mother will never leave me.💞

20210807_0553132

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Megan
                    Participant

Like BigCatKeeper and Bodine, it began in Wicks n’ Sticks… LOL My stepmom needed to buy a gift for someone and we went into the store at the Westminster Mall in Broomfield, CO for a candle. I was in about sixth grade. She got her candle, and I stood for at least fifteen minutes staring in awe at the emerald dragons, wizards, gargoyles, unicorns, kirins and pegasus family in the display case. A nice lady who worked there gave me a Windstone booklet to take home. I knew better than to ask for something to expensive, but every time we went back to the mall that summer I did ask to go look at them. The wizard mouse was my favorite, because I had always loved mice and Redwall was my favorite book series at the time. One day at the end of the summer, my dad decided to finally buy my brother the video game he had been begging for, and asked me what I would like. So I got my mouse wizard. I loved Merlin so much that for Christmas that year I got the original baby hatching dragon in emerald, and for my birthday the year after he got me the emerald male dragon. Every year up until I graduated college and moved out, I’ve gotten a Windstone from the family. I’ve bought many for myself too, of course, but Merlin the mouse wizard will always be my favorite piece ^_^

Bodine
                      Participant

Awww how sweet is that💓 Heart treasures.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Nightcrow
                        Participant

I had a friend with a Kirin family when I was around 10-14, and thought they were really beautiful but I couldn’t afford Windstones at that age. It was a few years later when I fell head-over-heels in love with the White dragons in a store called Glass Menagerie. I saved up for months, then bought the White mother. (I could have saved less, and bought the Young or Hatcher, but I wanted my first one to be one of the big dragons!)

She was followed by the Young, and the Male, and most of the rest of the White family over the years. I remember being so excited when the Lap/Scratcher/OW came out – more Windstones to collect! Just as I was running out of White pieces to save up for.

Then one day I went into a Tinder Box intending to order a White dragon, and fell in love with a Peacock Oriental on the shelf; I ordered the White but also walked out with the Oriental, starting a whole new branch of my collection. 🙂

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Asterisktrine
                          Participant

These stories are all so special! They all have this “it was meant to be” feeling. I love it.

etruscan
                            Participant

I never went into Wicks n Sticks – too many scents to make me sneeze – so I didn’t see Windstones there and didn’t know about the fantasy creatures. My first Wndstone was a hatching tortoise. He was from a Smithsonian catalog if I remember correctly.

Ann Marie
                              Participant

My first encounter with Windstone figurines was at a gift shop at a mall. It may have been a Wicks n Sticks, or something else, I don’t remember. I either bought the Peacock young dragon or the small flap cat in black and white with peacock bat wings first, and then bought the other. I later acquired the small flap cat in Siamese with peacock bird wings, a sitting baby Ki Rin, and a peacock male Griffin. Either the store closed or I stopped going to that mall, but I drifted away from Windstone for a long time and only came back (and how!) in the last couple of years. So many lovely new things to buy!

Magentas-Cat

Asterisktrine
                                Participant

Wicks n Sticks seems to have been a popular Windstone spot
                                  😆 The only time I can think of a place I personally saw them being sold was a Dragon themed shop/museum called Dragon Dreams out in Tennessee. I think they closed down sadly… it was a really cool place. They had a few dragons and some of the candle holders as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.