Your favorite finishing glazes/varnishs/sprays

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Your favorite finishing glazes/varnishs/sprays

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Landipan
    Participant

Hi all! I wanted to ask what everyone’s favorite finishing/protective glazes or sprays are? I always want to try new things so if you have any recs of your favorites, share away!

Right now I’m on the hunt for a nice satin glaze, not too glossy, and not too matte, just the perfect satin!

My favorite matte and glossy glazes are Sculpey gloss glaze(very glossy, works well for me), and Liquitex’s matte varnish(love this one!). Weirdly enough, I’ve tried Liquitex’s glossy varnish and found it quite thin and not very durable.

For sprays, I like Testors dullcote for a verry flat matte look! But it has quite the smell, and I usually don’t like to spray so I don’t use it too often these days.

*Formerly meowmix101
      Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Mika
      Participant

I use Americana varnishes. They work great and I haven’t had an issue with them yellowing, peeling, etc. They have the regular gloss, satin, and matte versions and also a soft touch that I’ve wanted to try.

Landipan
        Participant

Oooh, soft touch, wonder what that means? I’ll have to check it out!

*Formerly meowmix101
          Not currently open for PYO commissions.

SilverDragon
          Participant

I used to use the Delta Creative Satin varnish for years, up until about year ago when I went to buy some more and tried it. They must of changed the formula (or I got lucky and picked up a bad one) but, when it dried it had a cloudy look to it. Was super disappointed. So I decided to try the Americana brand and I like it a lot.

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
            Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

LZ
            Participant

Any updated recommendations for a clear coat? Spray or brush on? I need to stop my golden griffin from shedding.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

pipsxlch
              Participant

I’ve used Krylon satin and gloss spray and been happy with it. First pyos I did, I used a Golden brush on and it worked well, I just find spray ons easier to use and live in a warm climate so am able to use it year round outside.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.