fbpx

Xerxes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Maria
      Participant

May I present his royal highness:

Four paintbrush sizes, five colors, and at least 35 hours of work. This guy was a whopper. I put down an ultramarine base coat on the sections that would be purple, and that accounts for the quantity of blue you can see in all the pictures. In real life the blue disappeared under the subsequent coats in dioxazine purple and now makes for a rich purple but barely shows.
        The purple feathers made for the long hours. I wanted them to appear velvety, so I rimmed them in purple mixed with the iridescent medium. Then I filled in the rest of the feather with plain matte purple, washed the brush, and with a dab of white lightened the feather toward the top. If the effect wasn’t as desired, I had to touch it up. On every single feather. So he took a long time, but now he looks perfect. The velvety sheen of his feathers is even visible in the shadow. It was really hard to capture in the pictures.
        The “ermine lining on his cloak” was considerably easier. I ran over the white feathers with very watery purple (appearance lavender), dabbed off the excess, and covered it with iridescent white. I place the black ermine tips pretty much at random. At first I thought it looked spotty, but after this guy fetched a compliment from my brother who generally doesn’t note my Windstones at all, I figured I was on the right track. ๐Ÿ˜€

More pictures are in the usual place. Please let me know what you think. Mom said she would have given him a burgundy waistcoat, but I don’t know. I think it would have been too much color…

By the way, Xerxes is the Greek name for the 5th century B.C. Persian emperor Ahasuerus.

SPark
        Participant

That’s pretty neat! I like the ermine coat thing especially.

Maria
          Participant

That’s good to know. Because I was worried the ermine would be the section that didn’t really match anything.

Skigod377
            Participant

Yes, I agree… the white w/black tips is awesome!!

Yes…the ermine part works really well — it complements the gold and makes him look very royal. I especially like how the ermine tips on the ears tie in with the ermine cloak part.

Arlla
              Participant

That is SO COOL! ๐Ÿ˜€ I LOVE the coat ruff look! And I really like the way you painted his back neck feathers and the back of the wings…too cool.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                -J R R Tolkien

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

That’s a really cool idea! I especially love the coat reference as well. Now he needs a little crown =D

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Maria
                  Participant

Thanks everybody. Drag0n, I don’t have a crown that fits him, but the top of his head is gold, so that’ll have to do. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow, that is a really neat idea. I love him. Excellent job. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.