fbpx

WTT PYO kirin eyes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone WTT PYO kirin eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kitsunelady
    Participant

Hey all,
      I reeeeeeally need some different eye colors to try on a PYO kirin I’m doing for Dr. Kyrin. I’d like brown, dark brown and royal blue…it’d be nice if I could just buy what I need without buying another PYO, but since I don’t see that happening, here are the kirin eye colors I have to trade with:

Green, Pink, Straw, Yellow, Orange, Gray, Light Blue, Blue. I tried all of them and didn’t like a single one.

A pair for a pair, of course. >.>

Ah, and if you’re curious, here is what they’re for (it’s not done, but close enough):

“Red Panda” #2, with some changes from the OG so he’d match the wings she sent better.

kitsunelady
      Participant

Anonymous
          kitsunelady
          Participant

Kalandra wrote:

Would these work? πŸ˜•

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/110221/hazel-t1spw-glass-eyes-08-mm

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/100358/woodcarver-dark-brown-glass-eyes-8-mm

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/100359/woodcarver-brown-glass-eyes-8-mm

They might, but…I’d rather eyes from Windstone. >.> Idk if I trust the fit of the ones from Vandyke’s…pretty sure I saw someone say it wasn’t the best? And since this was a commission/exchange of services, only the best will do. πŸ˜€ Thank you though!

Skeeterdeee
            Participant

I bought light brown, dark brown, and green eyes for a kirin from Van Dyke’s. If you put Van Dyke’s eyes next to Windstone eyes you can hardly tell the difference (Except the Van Dyke’s shade of green isn’t as pretty as the Windstone ones). I can put up a picture of a kirin with Van Dyke’s eyes if you want to see how they fit.

kitsunelady
              Participant

skeeterdeee wrote:

I bought light brown, dark brown, and green eyes for a kirin from Van Dyke’s. If you put Van Dyke’s eyes next to Windstone eyes you can hardly tell the difference (Except the Van Dyke’s shade of green isn’t as pretty as the Windstone ones). I can put up a picture of a kirin with Van Dyke’s eyes if you want to see how they fit.

Ah, that would be nice. o.o Thank you!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Though they vary, Van Dykes eyes are not quite as ‘deep’ as Windstone eyes and can create a shallow eye effect in a Windstone eye socket. This is especially true for larger eyes. Your mileage may vary. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Skeeterdeee
                  Participant

Please ignore the half naked kirin, it’s a WIP
                    These eyes are Van Dyke’s 8mm Light Brown (they aren’t the eyes I’m using on this guy, but I thought they would show depth better than the dark brown)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope that helps, I’m not the greatest photographer!

kitsunelady
                    Participant

Hmm. Those don’t look too bad. >.>…

What to do, what to do…

Mmloda
                      Participant

Ohh wow I LOVE that Red Panda Ki Rin… πŸ˜‰

I ‘ll check at home for ki rin eyes for you too and let you know if i have any of the colors you are looking for…. πŸ™‚

Marzena

kitsunelady
                        Participant

mmloda wrote:

I ‘ll check at home for ki rin eyes for you too and let you know if i have any of the colors you are looking for…. πŸ™‚

Thanks mmloda. =) For the compliment and for checking for eyes, both!

Mmloda
                          Participant

kitsunelady wrote:

mmloda wrote:

Thanks mmloda. =) For the compliment and for checking for eyes, both!

Opps I forgot to check for the eyes….I will do that tonight when I get home! Sorry… 😳

Marzena

kitsunelady
                            Participant

I bought a pair of eyes from Van Dyke’s in brown and dark brown out of curiosity. The size and shape are fine, but the color, particularly on the dark brown pair (which is, of course, what I ended up preferring..), is uneven – they look like they have milky areas in them. I thought at first it wasn’t actually fired on, but wiping it with nail polish remover didn’t harm it, so…idk. They just don’t feel the same need for precision as Windstone, I guess. o.o; Also, I am possibly too picky. Either way, I’ll hold out for some Windstone eyes. = I can’t give Kyrin a milky-eyed kirin. >.>;

Mmloda, no need to apologize…if you do find you have the color I want (I’ve settled on dark brown), you’d be doing *me* a favor!

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

Glad to know they are about the same size/thickness! I know for larger eyes they are not. The size the Keeper takes (I forget offhand) is pretty shallow in Van Dyke’s version in particular.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Pam

The van dyke eyes I have are for larger beasts, and the color on the backs is painted on and covered in a plastic coating to protect it. I used to have a pair of smaller eyes and the color was also painted on, but didn’t have a protective plastic coating. Multi-colored taxidermy eyes will have the colors painted on, not fired. This is my understanding anyway from talking to various taxidermists. I haven’t found anyone yet who does multi-colored fired eyes. This is why all Windstone eyes are solid colors. We are unable to use painted multi-colored eyes because over time, the glue will pull the paint off the eyes. Taxidermists do not have this problem because they epoxy or clay the eyes in, they don’t apply glue directly to the backs of eyes (again, this is what I was told by the taxidermists I talked to).

Be aware of this if you are buying any multi-colored eyes and intend to glue them in.

If anyone knows a place that makes multi-colored fired eyes or has found a way to stop glue from stripping painted eyes, please let me know!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.