fbpx

Winsor & Newton Galeria Iridescent Medium?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Winsor & Newton Galeria Iridescent Medium?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Landipan
    Participant

I’ve been waiting for this to become in stock on DickBlick but it always seems to be on backorder, Is there another place to buy this or another product that is comparable?

*Formerly meowmix101
      Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Prezaurian
      Participant

I’ve looked on Amazon and Michaels and unfortunately nothing is comparable to Dick Blick’s price (they start at $11.84 and just go up in price). I even tried looking up the brand of iridescent medium I use (Liquitex) and it turned out more expensive (even on Dick Blick!). Plus, on Dick Blick it is also out of stock. Which I find unusual. Two different brands both being out of stock? Most unusual. It’s like around Christmas when finding metallic red paint becomes IMPOSSIBLE.

So here is a sort of short cut. You can also use pearl acrylic paint. It is very similar to iridescent medium though a little less translucent. I’ve mixed it with flat colors to give them a pearlescent shimmer. Like the medium, it will lighten whatever color you add it to (i.e. flat red will turn pearl pink). A bonus is that the 2 oz container of pearl acrylic paint will be a lot cheaper than the iridescent medium. Plus there are several brands to choose from.

You can usually find it with the metallic colors in craft stores and it’s usually called, ‘white pearl’. DecoArt and Craft Smart brands have this color.

Melody
        Keymaster

I’ve looked on Amazon and Michaels and unfortunately nothing is comparable to Dick Blick’s price (they start at $11.84 and just go up in price). I even tried looking up the brand of iridescent medium I use (Liquitex) and it turned out more expensive (even on Dick Blick!). Plus, on Dick Blick it is also out of stock. Which I find unusual. Two different brands both being out of stock? Most unusual. It’s like around Christmas when finding metallic red paint becomes IMPOSSIBLE.

So here is a sort of short cut. You can also use pearl acrylic paint. It is very similar to iridescent medium though a little less translucent. I’ve mixed it with flat colors to give them a pearlescent shimmer. Like the medium, it will lighten whatever color you add it to (i.e. flat red will turn pearl pink). A bonus is that the 2 oz container of pearl acrylic paint will be a lot cheaper than the iridescent medium. Plus there are several brands to choose from.

You can usually find it with the metallic colors in craft stores and it’s usually called, ‘white pearl’. DecoArt and Craft Smart brands have this color.

There is metallic red paint??

Prezaurian
          Participant

There is metallic red paint??

I’m so sorry to give false hope Melody! It’s only labeled metallic red on the bottles of acrylic paint in the craft stores. It still looks pink no matter which brand I look at. But it still sells out around Christmas time. The only time I ever see REAL metallic red is a Testors brand of paint. And I think those are either enamels or solvent based. They’re for model cars. T_T

Has Windstone tried really fine size metal flake? I’ve seen some nice reds available in micro flake sizes. I’ve also seen red pearl pigment powders. I don’t know how well they would work for Windstone but some of them are good prices to experiment with.

Here’s an example of one of the red pearl pigments. That particular seller has a few different red pearl pigments and also several red micro flake sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madrid-pearl-pigment-custom-paint-plasti-dip-/301832686780?hash=item4646a14cbc:g:yuEAAOSwuTxV8F5G&item=301832686780&vxp=mtr

Landipan
            Participant

Thanks, I’ll pick up some pearl paint next time to try, who knows if the W&N medium will ever be available. Knowing my luck it’ll become available right when I’m out of funds lol.

*Formerly meowmix101
              Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.