fbpx

Windstone Site Migration!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Windstone Site Migration!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

So, as you can see by the announcements up top (scroll up! Make sure to read all three!) we are going to finally migrate the Windstone website to the new site!

A few things to note:

– The ENTIRE website is being changed, all of it! It will look much different. Don’t panic.
        – In the past, you have had to do a separate log-in for each part of the site (different log ins for the store, the forum, the blog). This is silly. In the new site, you will only have ONE log-in for any part of the site. Log in once, use it all.
        – Because of this, this is your chance to change your username to be your universal site-wide username. Instructions are in the announcements up top! (I am not sure about passwords– Snap will have to chime in about that).
        – When the new site goes live, it will work perfectly from the start. Or… not. The site has been in the works for over a year now and has been tested, but technology is wonderful and likes to do zainy, unexpected things sometimes. Please bear with us if there are any problems, and report problems in the way Snap has asked us to via the announcement above.
        – We (mostly Clay and Greg, with me nagging like a goat) have tried to make the new forum as similar to this one as possible, while running it on entirely different software. It might have features that you didn’t have here, and it might be missing features that we do have here. If something is missing that you cannot live without, bear with us and I will start a new thread on the new forum asking for input.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! But that’s the problem… we’re running on broken bits of website that has a lot of pretty band-aids holding it together. It HAD to be fixed! I know some people will love the new site, and some will hate it. The Windstone crew did the best it could, and we beg for your patience. I hope that you enjoy it!

And remember.

[/]

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Some further information:

Snapdragon wrote:

The passwords have zero effect other than it’s your forum account information that will be used. We can’t see what your passwords are, they are hashed with a random salt (encrypted).

Everything about your forum account prevails if the Account name and/or E-mails match a store account – your store account will disappear.

Example:

Forum Account – Bob Jones
          Forum E-mail – bob@jones.com
          Forum Password – memememe

Store Account – BoBJonzeeerrrs
          Store E-mail – bob@jones.com
          Store E-mail – buybuybuybuy

In the above scenario, because the E-mails match, the store account would disappear and the forum account would remain.

If an exact match can’t be found between an account name or an E-mail address, then both the forum and store account will end up on the new system. There will be a bunch of duplicates in this case and that’s why we’re asking people to update their forum account so 1) they end up with the account they want and 2) we don’t end up with a pile of dead accounts.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Right now it appears this might happen Monday-ish, according to what I’ve heard from John, but just so everyone knows it’s possible it can happen at any time. πŸ™‚

Melody
            Keymaster

Jennifer wrote:

Right now it appears this might happen Monday-ish, according to what I’ve heard from John, but just so everyone knows it’s possible it can happen at any time. πŸ™‚

Dum -dee dum.. still waiting…

Syn
              Participant

Melody wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Good things come to those who wait. πŸ˜†

Melvin L.
                Participant

Kudos to the Douglas Adams reference above; Don’t Panic! If I ever get a signature block graphic made w/ dragons on it like others here, it’ll also have to include a quote from him.

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.”

…also looking forward to the changes… go team!

Got muh towel I’m ready πŸ˜€

Morrigan
                  Participant

Don’t know if I helped or hindered things but since I changed my forum name I deleted my store account of the same name and created a new store account based on my new forum name. Email addresses should match up. ^_^

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

I haven’t changed anything. All my stuff already matched… at least my user names did… so I THINK I don’t have to do anything…. me thinks… :scratch:

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

Elvira wrote:

Don’t know if I helped or hindered things but since I changed my forum name I deleted my store account of the same name and created a new store account based on my new forum name. Email addresses should match up. ^_^

That’s okay! You just made a little more work for yourself, haha. Once the site is moved over to the new one, your store account you just made will go ‘away’ and your forum account will be your main account. You can use that account in the store at that point, too.

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

drag0nfeathers wrote:

I haven’t changed anything. All my stuff already matched… at least my user names did… so I THINK I don’t have to do anything…. me thinks… :scratch:

You’re fine!

We just want to make sure that people are okay with their username here, because once the merge happens that’s what you’ve got. In a nutshell.
                          If your store account and your forum account use the same email and you are happy with your name here, you’re golden.

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

Sweet πŸ˜€

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Anonymous

Melody wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Pass me a sledgehammer and I can speed things up a bit. :snappy:

Actually in all seriousness I’m about 98% OK with things on my end, and I think Clay is mostly caught up, we’re just waiting for the results of the final migration test.

For everyone else not in the know, part of the hold up is because not only is the software side changing, but my entire hardware side is brand new and Windstone gets to be the first test su.. I mean.. HIGHLY VALUED CUSTOMER *cough* to try it out. πŸ˜€

The past 11 days have been bleary-eyed fast-food loaded 16-to-20 hour days where I’ve taken all brand new equipment, configured it up and tried to work out all the possible bugs.

This is something that should normally take a team of people a couple MONTHS. New servers, new switches, new storage, a whole new rack, new routing connections, new firewalls… SOMETHING is going to go wrong but I just don’t know WHAT πŸ˜•

But hey, what’s the fun when everything works…… :spank:

Jasmine
                              Participant

We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you that just about everything works (cause you know at least one thing will go wrong 😈 ) Try to get some sleep!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.