Windstone Display Cabinet help

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Windstone Display Cabinet help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Courtney
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m having a hard time finding a good display cabinet for my Windstone’s. Most of the pieces I own are special paint eBay editions and I am super afraid of buying a cabinet that is not suitable and having a shelf collapse or something. I have been agonizing about this for weeks and I’m about to give up and keep them in storage.

Does anyone here have a suggestion? I can afford around $300. I’m just uncertain.

Thank you guys!

P.S. Many of the pieces are larger and heavier like RSD and OWD.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Aggie83
      Participant

I don’t have a specific cabinet in mind, but I would recommend wooden shelves in lieu of glass shelves – I have heard a few horror stories regarding glass shelves. In fact, there is a thread somewhere that has a horrific picture of the result of a glass shelf breaking.

Courtney
        Participant

This is seriously my biggest fear. I didn’t even display them where we lived before (we just moved to a new state) because of the chance of an earthquake. I’ll make sure to get wooden shelves.

DarkLadyPhoenix
          Participant

I use wooden Ikea bookcases. They hold up the heaviest of statues very well. Heaviest I own at any rare which is an Emperor. I don’t even know if a secret keeper can fit on it.

GardenNinja
            Participant

I am wracking my brain for the brand name of the very sturdy wooden bookcases I have. But I suspect they may be over $300 these days, at least the 7-footers I have. I used to buy them at Office Depot, but then they stopped carrying them. I contacted the company, and they said they had been losing money selling through Office Depot, and directed me to Carol House Furniture. I think Carol House is local, not a chain. I bought a couple more from there at a much higher price, and don’t have room for more.
              These bookcases are the only thing I trust to hold multiple heavy pieces, such as my blue morpho shelf that has the lap, scratcher, and mother along with smaller pieces. One of the emerald shelves has been holding the old warrior, lap, hatching royalty trio, and smaller items for many years now.
              If you like, I can root through some papers to find the brand name. Let me know.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Courtney
              Participant

GardenNinja if you come across the brand name that would be great! I went through our Craigslist area and there are a few really heavy, metal/wood/glass old style curio cabinets for sale. I’m gonna keep and eye on them. When our tax return comes in I’ll make a decision. The issue with these is having to hire moving people to move them.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Kim
                Blocked

I use display cases with glass shelves I bought from Kijiji classifieds. A couple were Ikea ones and only about $25 each. My bigger oak one was about $75 second hand. They have been perfect for the last 4 years or so but then again most of my pieces are smaller and I try to limit each shelf to about 20 pounds. For bigger pieces I have put those in the bottom of the cases or in my wooden book cases. I also got 4 wooden book cases from Kijiji for about $20 each and a couple of those are the Ikea ones too. So yeah if you can get anything used or off Craigslist or whatever is in your area you can save a lot of money off the price of new ones.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

pipsxlch
                  Participant

Another option may be to commission a carpenter or cabinetmaker to build you a shelving unit to your specifications.

I’ve also heard good things about old barrister bookcases (right name?); shelving built to hold big heavy law tomes. You might be able to find those secondhand.

etruscan
                    Participant

Yes, at least one Forum member kept her big and heavy collection in barrister bookcases. Hers had glass doors. I don’t know whether they all do.

Matty
                      Participant

Besides Windstones, I also collect Walt Disney Classic Collection pieces. I could go on and on about how beautiful they are.. but they are no longer being made.. retired and some pieces are harder to get. Anyhow a collector had amassed a fantastic collection of “It’s a Small World” characters and had them displayed in an Ikea Detolf cabinet. One night she awoke to a loud sound of breaking dishes to only discover that the two upper shelves cracked and dumped her collection on top of each other breaking pieces in the process. These sculpts are made out of porcelain so you can only imagine the amount of damage. This had been a collection that grew over years.

I myself have 3 of these cabinets. I only keep my Disney Designer Dolls in them as well as my Star Wars Hot Toys figures in them. Anything heavy in these would make me nervous. The shelves can flip as they just sit on two bars. They make me nervous. Lol I should mention I have a room dedicated to Disney Collectibles. I would go with wooden shelves personally for your collection. I would make sure that it is secure especially if you have a lot of unique one of a kind pieces like the ebay auction pieces.

I often tell myself if you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on your collection, then it only makes sense that you should spend money on a decent display cabinet. You get better craftsmanship in the end.

Matty
                        Participant

I agree with Kim.. if you do go the route of the Detolf cabinets from Ikea.. only display light smaller pieces in these cabinets.

phantomess
                          Participant

I echo the idea of a sturdy wooden shelf! It does not have to be expensive to be sturdy. The majority of my Windstone collection resides on a wooden shelf I’ve had so long I can’t remember where I got it. Recently I was considering getting a curio cabinet for my (very slowly) growing collection, but decided instead to go with another wooden bookshelf! I like the layout of a shelf better anyway! I actually found a really nice wooden one at a local thrift store for $35! I was pressing down on the shelves and everything to get an idea how they strong they were, lol.

I’d first suggest checking your local thrift stores if you have some thrift stores that carry large items like bookshelves (I got mine at an Arc store), and also keep your eye on your local Craigslist ads. I personally feel like the brand does not matter- you should be able to tell by examining it if it’s sturdy and of course if it looks nice enough for you. Look at the mounts for the shelves (if the shelves aren’t built in) and the thickness of the shelves, and just use your judgment if these parts seem sturdy enough for your pieces! Honestly most wooden bookshelves will do- those suckers are usually pretty strong! A good rule of thumb is to keep your smallest pieces on top and go bigger towards the bottom *just* in case.

I really don’t think you should have trouble finding a good bookshelf for under the $300 price cap you mentioned! But I also agree, if you can afford to collect ebay Windstones, a good shelf should be no problem lol!
                            Good luck!

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

etruscan
                            Participant

If all you want is shelves and aren’t looking for something with doors, I have been happy with iron folding bookshelves from the Container Store. The shelves are about 12 inches apart so they will handle most Windstone pieces. I use the four shelf bookcases and they are very stable. They do make six shelf pieces but I’m worried they would be more likely to tip over.

GardenNinja
                              Participant

I rooted around in my “household stuff” box, and couldn’t find anything about them. Sorry. 🙁

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Courtney
                                Participant

Thanks ok Garden Ninja 🙂 I like the thrift store idea. Thank you guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.