Which Photo-sharing Site Should I Use?

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Which Photo-sharing Site Should I Use?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I want to be able to share my own photos on this forum, but I would first need to join an online photo-sharing website in order to do this. Which one have you found to be the best? Thanks.

Do you already have a Facebook account? Or Myspace? I use both of those, but then again, I don’t have an account at Deviant or anything like that. ๐Ÿ˜• I found I absolutely hated how photobucket loaded though. :negative:

Adaneth
    Participant

Just remember if you use Facebook/Myspace a lot of us at work can’t see them because of company filters. ๐Ÿ™

I used to use Photobucket, but it’s gotten horrid with all the ads and junk. ๐Ÿ™„ Wouldn’t recommend it now. Since I do all my own photo hosting at my LiveJournal account, I’m afraid I can’t recommend another site.

Thanks for all your advice guys — I didn’t think that anyone was going to reply to my post. :yes:

I’m looking for a site that won’t share my information with third parties. There’s a site called ImageHosting.com, and their terms of service contract appears to take the privacy of users into account. Currently, I do not have a MySpace or FaceBook account, or any website for that matter.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

It’s good that you are researching things so much before making a choice. I’ve been with photobucket for a while. I may not be exactly happy with recent changes to it, but it would be way too much trouble for me to move everything somewhere else so I’ll stay there for now.

I use imageshack, personally. It’s pretty simple, and I like how it works. It doesn’t break when loading like facebook does for me. But after upload editing options are extremely limited, so make sure that’s all done before you click upload (you can change file size, though).

I use photobucket, but I got a bunch of viruses from all the ads. If you use the Firefox browser you can get an extension/add-on called Ad Block Plus which prevents the ads from loading. It’s very helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚

PaperCut wrote:

I use photobucket, but I got a bunch of viruses from all the ads. If you use the Firefox browser you can get an extension/add-on called Ad Block Plus which prevents the ads from loading. It’s very helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚

Really?! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Viruses from ads that weren’t in the form of e-mails you opened? I had no idea… I thought that viruses primarily came from e-mails or contaminated software that was circulated by people who just want to break the computers of others, not from ads on websites promoting legitimate products. Is it that the management at photobucket just isn’t that fussy about who they allow to advertise on their site? By the way, I use the Safari web browser by Apple, though I occasionally have to open Firefox in order to view certain websites properly.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

Sometimes they don’t know ads have been embedded in the “viruses”. Websites that have ads hosted by Google have have problems with infected adds as well. A “virus” doesn’t have to come from an email. It can come from any file you download whether its from an image, a music file, a floppy disc, cd, dvd or thumb drive.

I put virus in quotes because sometimes the infections aren’t really viruses, but are other types of malware. Malware includes computer viruses, computer worms, Trojan horses, most rootkits, spyware, dishonest adware and other malicious and unwanted software, including true viruses.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Some sites have had actual harmful viruses embedded in Flash and Java ads. The parent company doesn’t know that it is there — even the advertisers don’t know it’s there if they are just a third party source for the ads. I don’t like doing it, but for that reason I’ve started using Adblock Plus for Firefox.

Imageshak is a good one, yes.
            Flickr is also good if your photos are more than just snapshots.
            Deviantart is an art site– photography is an art, but again it’s really not for snapshots.

Always read and understand the user agreement, privacy policy, and submission agreement for any site you use where you upload content (unless you don’t care what they do with said content).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

pegasi1978 wrote:

Sometimes they don’t know ads have been embedded in the “viruses”. Websites that have ads hosted by Google have have problems with infected adds as well. A “virus” doesn’t have to come from an email. It can come from any file you download whether its from an image, a music file, a floppy disc, cd, dvd or thumb drive.

I put virus in quotes because sometimes the infections aren’t really viruses, but are other types of malware. Malware includes computer viruses, computer worms, Trojan horses, most rootkits, spyware, dishonest adware and other malicious and unwanted software, including true viruses.

Jennifer wrote:

Some sites have had actual harmful viruses embedded in Flash and Java ads. The parent company doesn’t know that it is there — even the advertisers don’t know it’s there if they are just a third party source for the ads. I don’t like doing it, but for that reason I’ve started using Adblock Plus for Firefox.

Imageshak is a good one, yes.
            Flickr is also good if your photos are more than just snapshots.
            Deviantart is an art site– photography is an art, but again it’s really not for snapshots.

Always read and understand the user agreement, privacy policy, and submission agreement for any site you use where you upload content (unless you don’t care what they do with said content).
            I knew that it could come from downloads (that’s why I mentioned software in my comment) or clicking certain ads which trigger downloads, but I didn’t realize that it could come from simply viewing the ads. ๐Ÿ˜• I switched to using Apple computers because their Unix-based operating systems are apparently more secure, as they were originally designed for businesses. At least, I think I’m making sense; my computer ignorance is probably showing here. ๐Ÿ˜ณ I probably should use Firefox more often; it also alerts you when you enter an unsafe site. Yes, I always read privacy polices before joining sites and sharing information. :yes:

Jasmine
            Participant

I use Imageshack and I like it a lot better than Photobucket. And you can set your account to be unsearchable.

Lokie
              Participant

I can’t tell you what to use, everyone prefers something different (as this thread demonstrates). I use photobucket. I tried imageshack after others mentioned viruses from photobucket, but I’ve since learned that you can get malware from any site that host ads, so I went back. Every forum I’m on, a different photo hosting site seems to get the bum rap: webshots on one, photobucket here, Facebook somewhere else, etc. So I’ve gotten the impression that basically all photo hosting sites are the suck ๐Ÿ˜† I am going to try Picaso (sp?) though, if I like the user aggreement, since I’ve enjoyed browsing others photos on there. Fast loading photos and scrolling between images was a breeze.

Thanks everyone — have you guys heard of ImageHosting.com? :scratch: Their user agreement sounds as if it respects the privacy of customers…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.