fbpx

What's Your Inspiration?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone What's Your Inspiration?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not terribly talented and creative. I draw stick figures, and only paint horses from pictures. Since I can’t really run to the store and buy the Ultimate Dragon Book(….or can I? haha).

SO, how do you get your inspriation? I bought an orange eyes dragon, because I was thinking maybe an orange and purple theme? Maybe some blue? I donno. I want something intresting, but I’m not terribly creative. I looked at tons of pix, and I am totally amazed with some of the critters folks have painted. Not only do people have some SERIOUS talant, some folks are REALLY good at color schemes.

Ok. That’s all my rambling. Just wondering. THanks!
    Jessie

I just hold them and close my eyes. ha! Many here find insperation in creatures of the wild. Frogs, and foxes, butterflies and deer. Look through coffee table books of wildlife photos at your local libary or bookstone, and become inspired!

Andrea
    Participant

I must admit, I’m not the most creative person either. I just look at the PYO and look through my paints and start painting. Ususally something comes out somewhat decent. I’ve only had to scrap two so far! One was the very first one I tried painting and the other was one I kept mucking with. I should have just left it alone!
      Funny cause I just pulled out my next dragon and it has orange eyes as well. I can’t wait to see how both of ours comes out!

Ok, another question. Does anyone know where there’s a basic dragon that can be downloaded that looks siimilar to these, to “color in”. I work well from reference, and would feel better doodling and seeing what my peice looks like before I go and paint it all up and it turns out like crap 😯 haha

Andrea
      Participant

Look on the home page under Paint Your Own.

I guess I have always had a nack for coloring–

ideas– well usually I just think about the eye color and an idea will start to form as to what I want to do. Listen to that inner artistic voice– if you are new to tapping into it you will have to pay attention πŸ™‚ after a while you will just know what you want to paint– but it is not a definate thing… no one has great ideas all the time!

if you are unsure where to paint what, try taking a pencil and lightly penciling around the areas and figuring out what color you want where… oh and pick like two main colors to start with and then vary the the shades instead of using too many colors at first. You can always add touches of a thrid color at the end.
        mipa

frozendragon
        Participant

I just do what’s in my head…that and if someone wants something I take that idea and do it how I would like to see it…

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

I used one of 3 things to decide on colors

One is I will look at a picture of some sort of animal (Bongo Ki-Rin, Fawn Ki-Rin) and sort of work from that type of animal. I want to do a silver fox and blue jay at some point for a winged wolf =)

Two is I will pick a contrasting color from the eyes I have to work with. (Pink Griffin, green eyes, Blue Griffin, yellow eyes) I will sometimes match the eyes, usually red eyes. If I did a green griffin with red eyes it would look like an X-mas griffin, or if I did it blue I’d think of the American Flag, LOL! Like something with orange eyes I’d paint blue or purple to make ’em POP! The good thing about blue eyes, is just about anything goes with them.

The third is to just have this weird idea pop into my head and experiment and see how it comes out. Most of the time it’s a total screw up but sometime you can come uo with really interesting things. (Purple Ki-Rin, Orange Dragon)

Well, anyway that’s what I do. *shrug*

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

bluepony78 wrote:

Ok, another question. Does anyone know where there’s a basic dragon that can be downloaded that looks siimilar to these, to “color in”. I work well from reference, and would feel better doodling and seeing what my peice looks like before I go and paint it all up and it turns out like crap 😯 haha

Some people have tried out color schemes using Photoshop — here’s an example.

I’m not a painter, but it seems like good way to try out different things to see what works!

Maria
            Participant

My first PYO was done from a simple color scheme – purple, green and black. The second and third were painted to look like mythological resp. historical characters, Cerberus and Xerxes. Since to keep track of my PYOs I give them ancient Roman and Greek names, I paint them according to their name – or vice versa – but as soon as I have more time I’m going to be taking colors from hummingbirds and orchids.

Lokie
              Participant

mimitrek wrote:

I’m not a painter, but it seems like good way to try out different things to see what works!

TY for that link! I’ve been working on an owl Gryphon design but I remembered someone else was doing one, and I wanted to make sure our designs didn’t overlap too much but didn’t know were it was posted 😳

I’m glad I was able to help…albeit accidentally! πŸ˜€

Arlla
                Participant

A lot of times ideas will come from the particular eye colors…like Drag0n, I tend to want to make them pop, so I’ll go with colors that contrast with the eye color…

Most of the time I get inspired by pictures of animals I find, though. I’ve got folders and folders full of reference pictures for PYOs-to-be…

P.S. don’t worry too much about copying someone else’s owl…the snowy owl in particular is a pretty common choice (I’ve seen like 4 different griffs painted like snowy owls) but as long as you aren’t actually looking at someone elses piece while you paint yours, chances are it will turn out different and unique because it’s being influenced by YOUR style. πŸ˜‰

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                  -J R R Tolkien

mimitrek wrote:

bluepony78 wrote:

I will keep that in mind, but I just started learning the compleixity that is Photoshop not that long ago. At teh rate I’m going, by the time I have the photo painted up, the real peice will be here, painted, and sold haha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.