fbpx

What's anyone reading?

Home Forums Miscellany Community What's anyone reading?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    SPark
    Participant

Dune is great! At least the original books, especially the first four. The later ones are okay, but the ones by his son suck, I think. But I love Children of Dune! I read it the first time when I was 12. I didn’t understand half of it, but I liked it anyhow.

SPark wrote:

Dune is great! At least the original books, especially the first four. The later ones are okay, but the ones by his son suck, I think. But I love Children of Dune! I read it the first time when I was 12. I didn’t understand half of it, but I liked it anyhow.

Yeah! I’ve never been much for sci-fi, but Dune is great!

Dune is one of my favorites!

littleironhorse
      Participant

asinnamon wrote:

I’m on the hunt for a new fantasy series while I’m waiting on George Martin…Any recommendations?

If you liked Martin, I think you would love Steven Erikson’s The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, the rythm is a little bit like Martin’s series… He moves the focus around from one character to the next and is not afraid to have major characters die if it fits the story line. There have been 6 books published so far in the series.

Gardens of the Moon
        Deadhouse Gates
        Memories of Ice
        House of Chains
        Midnight Tides
        The Bonehunters

Starbreeze
        Participant

Chessapeaka wrote:

I finally found a copy of Howl’s Moving Castle!

Let me know if you like it. I love Howl’s Moving Castle. Have you seen the movie? They changed the plot a bit for the movie, but the book and the movie are both very good.

Jodi
          Participant

starbreeze wrote:

Chessapeaka wrote:

Let me know if you like it. I love Howl’s Moving Castle. Have you seen the movie? They changed the plot a bit for the movie, but the book and the movie are both very good.

I haven’t read the book, but the movie is very good. I enjoyed it a lot.

emerald212 wrote:

starbreeze wrote:

Chessapeaka wrote:

I saw the movie. It’s so beautiful… and I didn’t even realize it was a book until after I’d watched the movie.

I love Howl. Especially when he turned into goo. <3

WolfenMachine
            Participant

Cages by Dave McKean is amazing if you like “comic books”/graphic novels.

If not, Something Wicked This Way Comes is good too. haven’t finished it yet though 🙁

BipolarBear
              Participant

I’ve read the first one and the fourth one. Im missing the 2nd and 3rd. If you need the fourth one it would be my pleasure to lend it to you.

I would help but I am just to tired to get out of bed today~
                Engaged to a Weasel

Starbreeze
                Participant

Chessapeaka wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

starbreeze wrote:

Chessapeaka wrote:

I saw the movie. It’s so beautiful… and I didn’t even realize it was a book until after I’d watched the movie.

I love Howl. Especially when he turned into goo. <3

Be warned, as I said the plot in the book is a bit different, but I loved it anyway.

AsH

I absolutly love anything by David Eddings. And if you dont mind reading a novel aimed at a younger group, read Sabriel, Liriel , and Abhorsen. A trilogy by Garth Nix. oh! another one. Eragon and Eldest…amazing books but dissapointing movie interpetation.

SPark
                    Participant

I’m very fond of Eddings. Though… he seems to re-use the same basic characters over and over and over. Which was fine across the Belgariad/Mallorean, and the Elenium/Tamuli, and I didn’t mind it in Athalus, but when they turned up yet again in Elder Gods I kinda started getting bored of them.

frozendragon
                      Participant

I’ve finished the first two books of the Dresden files… thanks to star….

but to be fair…in the past 2 months I read the latest book from Kim Harrison ‘Fist Full Of Charms’,
                        ‘Traitor To The Blood’ by Barb & JC Hendee
                        ‘Dragons Teeth’ by James Hetley
                        ‘Storm Front’ and ‘Fool Moon’ by Jim Butcher
                        ‘Brother Odd’ by Dean Koontz

and I started ‘Aerie” by Mercedes Lackey last night….

and I’m sure I’ve missed one or two in there somewhere

SPark wrote:

I’m on a vampire kick right now, so I’m reading Saberhagen’s Dracula books again. They start with The Dracula Tapes, which is the same story as “Dracula” the original, except from the vampire’s point of view. And it’s funny because he points out all of the plot holes in the original book, and goes “See, that’s totally unrealistic, THIS is how it REALLY happened!” I crack up a lot reading it.

Have you read Fledgling by Octavia Butler? If not, I highly recommend it. It’s a different take on vampires. The only bad part is although the book is complete in itself it definitely could have been the first book in a series. Unfortunately, Ms. Butler died a few months ago. 😥

lamortefille
                        Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

You might like Robin Hobb (my favorite is the Liveship trilogy) and Sara Douglass. Glen Cook has good stuff too.

I followed your recommendation on the Liveship trilogy. I really enjoyed them, thanks! I am starting on Assassins now.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.