fbpx

what's a good ad-blocker?

Home Forums Miscellany Community what's a good ad-blocker?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I need an ad blocker for my computer but i dunno what is a good (free) one. Any suggestions? I need one that blocks all ads, not just pop-ups.

adblock plus is free and the ad list subscriptions are free as well they include a good 98% of the ads out there a few odd balls you can add yourself to the blocked list with a simple right click on them

also add in offending scripts, images to the blocking list

adblock plus works with firefox and mozilla browsers a much better choice for security reasons than internet explorer

there is a slowly growing list of sites that will block users of adblock as they get their site revenues from their ads being loaded but as of the past month ive seen several cases of people getting viruses from ads that have been allowed to load from webpages

the safety of our equipment and data is far more important that those pages

hope ive been a bit of help

cyberhorn the dragon wrote:

there is a slowly growing list of sites that will block users of adblock as they get their site revenues from their ads being loaded but as of the past month ive seen several cases of people getting viruses from ads that have been allowed to load from webpages

Does the site actually put up something telling you this is why it isn’t loading properly? I mean, is it a deliberate action on the part of the web site owners, or is it merely that Ad Block Plus is misinterpreting essential parts of the page as ads?

I use ABP too and notice that you do have to disable it for certain pages to work correctly. For example, the “My eBay” pages are missing all kinds of aspects due to them being blocked by default, presumably because the routines they use are similar to ones used by ads. Generally, if you think a page isn’t working the way it should be working (such as being asked to click on a button but there is no button) just temporarily disable ABP and re-load the page to see if that helps. If it does, you can tell ABP to always disable itself for that page or for the entire site, or even for just one particular item on one page. It’s astoundingly customisable.

When I first discovered that about “My eBay” I was about to go home, but was just leaving some feedback. I had turned off ABP in order to do this, then closed everything up and went home. The next morning I came in, went out on the Internet, and it took me 15 minutes and two cups of coffee before I figured out why it was I was in such a bad mood: I was being assailed by flashing boxes and click-me-nows on sites that hitherto I had thought were pleasant places to be.

(And yes, you can use ABP to block the Windstone animated smilies. I think that was when I finally realised I didn’t have ABP turned on: when I came here and everyone seemed to be talking in some kind of frantic arm-waving attention-grabbing way. It was quite disturbing…)

they do

usually its a blank screen with text says due to you using adblock software they’re site is going to suffer and they get their revenues for operation from them

thus they block users (of adblock) from viewing them but so far its not to prevalent

Okay, where can I get Adblock plus? (sorry, I know I’m being annoying but I want to make sure I’m getting the real thing and not a fake)

PaperCut wrote:

Okay, where can I get Adblock plus?

ABP only works with the following browsers: Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0, SeaMonkey 1.1, Flock 1.0, Songbird 0.7, eMusic Remote 1.0, Prism 0.9. These are “Minimal” requirements; for example it works with Firefox 3.0.

Their web page is http://adblockplus.org/en/. Click on Installation at the top.

Instead of finding them on the web, though, I loaded mine in Firefox by going to the Firefox “Tools” menu, clicking on “Add-Ons” then “Browse All Ad-ons”. If you enter “ad block plus” as the search parameter it’s likely the only one to come up. You can then just click “Install”. And while you are there you can browse other ad-ons to see what else you are missing out on. Some of them are invaluable.

Oh, thanks so much! I’m already seeinng less (as in no XD) ads! 😀

BipolarBear
    Participant

I have firefox and use ABP along with an add on called scriptblocker. Blocking scripts makes it a little harder to use your browser but gives you so much more control.

I would help but I am just to tired to get out of bed today~
      Engaged to a Weasel

Anonymous
      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.