fbpx

What the National News is Not Reporting

Home Forums Miscellany Community What the National News is Not Reporting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    keschete
    Participant

keschete
      Participant

This is an update about what is really happening in South Louisiana.

What they do not say in the news….

Well, with the dispersant and the type of oil flowing out of the gulf, the globules of oil are not floating on the surface of the water. So the booms are not stopping anything.

The globs are hanging out a few inches to a few feet down. So yesterday, tar balls about a nickle size to a quarter size started washing up on one of our few beaches, Port Fourchon.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20…Fourchon-Beach

Today, in one of the lakes that lead to our marshes, Sister lake, where there was open shrimp season, shrimpers caught oiled shrimp and the boats had tar balls and gooey oil sticking to them. Obviously they closed the lake, but the stuff is in our marsh.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20…-Bayou-Dularge

I have had two calls to retrieve oiled birds, I could not make the 7 hour trip on Monday and I could not go today. This article also mentions the frigate bird that I brought to Venice that had to be euthanized.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20…il-canola-oil-

I took my BP oil clean up course and got certified, it was a joke. I sat looking at the slides on my computer and took notes, the slides were detailed.

The test was a joke….questions like should you leave your life jacket unfastened in the water? true false

Should you wear PPE (Personal Protective Equip) when exposed to oil?

I could have taken the test without the course…but now I am certified to fool around with oiled wildlife! I wasn’t certified last week when I picked up the Frigate bird.

I just wanted the rest of the world to know what is happening, most is not on the national news.

It has been almost a month and I am actually certified now by BP to help….

Bodine
        Participant

Thanks for posting this.I bring bad news here too much so I didn’t want to bring this up.
          It is an alarming situation to say the least.So much will be lost for the almighty dollar.There are groups here being trained and bracing for the impact on our beaches too.Good luck with all that’s ahead and pray they come up wth a solution that works.Very ignorant of them not to have a plan in place but not in the least bit surprised.The Gov.drops the ball on most disasters in case you haven’t noticed.At least I know of this down here,we live here and we know how parts of the country are overlooked way too much for being one Nation.In my humble opinion.From border security to natural disasters,America needs to pull together as one entity not scattered in many directions.We as Americans,need to hold our Gov. and big businesses accountable for what they do and don’t do for our amazing Country.This situation is just another example.It is our right AND responsibility as Americans.Just my two cents worth 🙂

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

dragonmedley
          Participant

I remember when the Exxon oil boat crashed in… was it Alaska? Anyway, it was the first big spill in American waters and the world was really mad. It inflamed my dad, who said that such spills had been happening elsewhere in the world for a long, long time, yet nothing was ever done. But since it hit America, it became a priority.

I just hope such things will be avoided in the future… no matter where they happen!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Anonymous

If I really thought about it, I might never stop crying.

It’s unforgiveable that any big business is allowed by our government to put the welfare of the inhabitants on the back burner, for the sake of richness – the very same richness that elects our politicians.

There are so many to blame for this, down to the working man on the rigs who knew all along, the possibilities for disaster.

A song by Peter Paul and Mary (rip) comes to mind………

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
              Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
              Where have all the flowers gone?
              Young girls have picked them everyone.
              Oh, when will they ever learn?
              Oh, when will they ever learn?

and let’s not forget Bob Dylan’s ‘Blowin’ in the Wind’

How many times must a man look up – before he can see the sky?
              How many ears must one man have – before he can hear people cry?
              How many deaths will it take til he knows – that too many people have died?
              The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind – the answer is blowin’ in the wind……..

Where are the greats, singing out for our causes now?

Jennifer
              Keymaster

This issue is so frustrating and depressing.

The response to this has been great, yes, but not great enough. Though there is no way to really measure the flow of oil leaking, it is likely to be over 1 million gallons per day (though BP said that with equipment removed- which is close to what is happening- it can produce over 2 million gallons per day and some satellite imaging and research have put it closer to 3 million).

I am alarmed by the size, depth and pressures involved with the deposit that Deepwater Horizon drilled. They went deeper than initially reported, and there are trillions of barrels of oil and natural gas under there, under crazy amounts of pressure. It’s not likely (the failsafe failing also wasn’t likely though right) but if we make this worse (in trying to ‘fix’ it) .. well, I just am not real sure about the future of our oceans and the critters that depend on the ocean’s health in that case..!

The frustrating thing is that (as always?) we’re not getting the full story on this.

Check this out. Do they have time to really extensively test these chemicals? No, that would take years. So it’s pretty scary. Lets hope we are not creating another huge mistake. Some of our worst natural problems these days are caused by ignorantly trying to fix a mistake with an even larger mistake… http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2011869998_oildisperse15.html

So many people are worried about how this will effect livelihoods, understandably. Who isn’t worried where their paycheck comes from? But at the same time I can’t help but feel that some are missing the bigger picture.

I better stop before I start ranting!! u_u

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.