fbpx

Well I had the Worst Weekend :(

Home Forums Miscellany Community Well I had the Worst Weekend :(

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Rusti
    Participant

Rabies vaccines are required for animals most places in the US I believe – especially since rabies is soooo deadly to humans if unidentified and untreated early.

Rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms manifest (cuz by then it’s in your brain). The shots people get when they’ve been exposed are pretty much vaccines. The further away from your head when you’re bitten, the longer it takes to get to your brain, since it travels up your nerves. Anywhere from 5-50 days from exposure. Once symptoms show, it takes about 10 days. That’s why most quarantines are 10 days. If the animal isn’t dead at the end of it, it’s probably fine.

Kiya
      Participant

Rabies vaccines are required for animals most places in the US I believe – especially since rabies is soooo deadly to humans if unidentified and untreated early.

Rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms manifest (cuz by then it’s in your brain). The shots people get when they’ve been exposed are pretty much vaccines. The further away from your head when you’re bitten, the longer it takes to get to your brain, since it travels up your nerves. Anywhere from 5-50 days from exposure. Once symptoms show, it takes about 10 days. That’s why most quarantines are 10 days. If the animal isn’t dead at the end of it, it’s probably fine.

They’re actually experimenting with a new treatment that basically forces you into a coma to give your body time to fight off the disease without exposing your brain to as much damage. It’s still early days, but they have had some success with saving a couple of people who were manifesting symptoms.

Kim
        Blocked

I read about that treatment for rabies too where they induce the coma and saw a video on it where one little girl survived but another man they tried it on wasn’t so lucky. That is one shot I would make an exception for if I got bitten by a wild animal because chances or surviving are much better with the shot. I wouldn’t classify it as the same as a vaccine for a flu or things like that though which are much more minor and shouldn’t require shots.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Rusti
          Participant

That’s pretty cool! I’ve been out of the loop for a little while since I made a career shift, but it’s nice to hear that they’re looking for ways to treat once you’ve come down with symptoms. I’ll have to go look that up.

Somehow I suspect it’s only for people, though, and unvaccinated animals still stand a chance of losing their heads over a bite.

Setsunawolf
            Participant

We had a liitle girl die from rabies a few years ago. For that reason, I make sure all the critters are vaccinated because it was in my area. I live in a country area where there is a lot of wildlife, so unvaccinated pets can contract rabies (particularly if they like to snatch bats out of the air, like my female husky). As for people vaccines, some I think are necessary, others are a bit overkill. The MMRP is one I support. We are seeing more and more children and babies die of measles because parents who don’t vaccinate their kids ( who have contracted the disease and are not showing symptoms yet)are taking those kids to public places like parks and playgrounds and exposing other children, including infants or young children who have not finished the series yet. I think if that is the route people choose, then they should not run the risk of exposing others. Not fair to the kids, but getting measles from those kids isn’t fair either. However, I do think there is some over vaccination happening as well…..along with over medication and germophobia.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
              Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
              Sun Dragon Koi #3

Rachel
              Participant

I didn’t want to hijack this thread. I agree that a vaccine–any medicine–that has been shown to have dangerous and common side effects, such as this one, should be pulled (whether for human or animal). I am by no means contradicting the fact that THIS vaccine is dangerous.

However, I am not uneducated about the topic and I am quite up to date. Vaccine side effects, in general, are rare–far rarer than the original diseases. I have a BS in microbiology and a PhD in molecular/cancer biology to back up my opinion. And I wouldn’t bother to voice my opinion if it only affected those who choose not to vaccinate. But it affects all of us–a recent resurgence of whooping cough puts both babies who are too young for vaccination (about half of which at least need hospitalization, and sometimes die from it) and older children, pregnant women, and even some adults at risk as their earlier immunizations are less effective over time and those who are unimmunized pass it along.

darjeb
                Participant

Thanks for the warning and I am glad Koda is OK. I have always had my chows (one at a time) on Sentinel but it has been unavailable for almost two years so I switched Spanky to Heartguard. I understand Sentinel will be available again soon but I may leave him on Heartguard because he will eat it and giving him a Sentinel is very difficult and a monthly battle – he hates it. No matter what is roll it in – peanut butter, cream cheese, dog foot, etc. he manages to spit it up.

siberakh1
                  Participant

I’m glad to hear Koda is ok! Yikes!

We mostly just give our dogs (well, one now) the rabies shot (required by law and rabies is in my area, so it protects them) and the others they need every year or 3. We do use an external flea/tick as well (ticks have been creeping in a bit more lately, but fleas have never been an issue).

I keep up on my human vaccines (and think the usual childhood ones like MMR should be given), but I don’t get the flu vaccine. My mom and I both have reactions to it and I’d rather risk being sick with the flu badly then being sick for 2 months being miserable and wishing I would just turn over and die from the shot. So, we don’t get it. I’m aware of a nurse who has the same issue and avoids it for the same reason. Doesn’t mean other people don’t benefit from it, but we don’t, so we avoid it. I don’t think the flu one should be required though.

Chicken Pox I already had and honestly, if I had kids, I wouldn’t have them get it anyways unless they got to be older and had not yet had it (I do think it’s a great idea if you are near adulthood and haven’t had Chicken Pox yet… it’s bad stuff as an adult), but it is one that should not be required. HPV I avoided too (my doctor advised against it for ME based on MY particular history). Again, I don’t think these two should be required either.

Setsunawolf
                    Participant

I’ve used both Heartguard and Interceptor. Switched to the Interceptor after we ate a squirrel w/ whipworms. HG doesn’t get whips. But I’ve been unable to get the Interceptor for a while….I had a stock pile as I tend to buy a year supply at a time…and I got lots o’ doggies.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                      Sun Dragon Koi #3

Falcolf
                      Participant

For me I think it’s good to vaccinate us humans for the serious stuff like Maplecarver said, like polio, whooping cough and whatnot, because the polio vaccine legit saved thousands of lives, but I don’t really approve of flu shots.

Honestly, the best way to vaccinate a kid against chicken pox is to have a chicken pox party when they’re young. (Plague date! Haha.) Get it over with when they’re little and then it’s not as severe and they shake it off fast. I think I was six when I had it and I infected my older brothers haha. They got it worse than me and I had the best time reporting to my mom on the number of pox that they had – it was morbidly hilarious for me. Probably annoyed the tar out of my brothers though lol.

I got my cats vaccinated with the basics, though neither of my young indoor bucks have had their rabies vaccines. Neither of them goes outside though, so I don’t see it as being an urgent thing that they really need. In fact, I probably won’t be getting them their rabies shots at all at this rate, however when I get my dog in the future I will be firmly making sure that it at least gets its rabies shot and possibly distemper as well, because I intend to go hiking with that dog and I don’t want any animal of mine accidentally giving something to the wild canid population. Coyotes, foxes, wolves and whatnot have enough problems without pets getting them sick!

If anyone owns ferrets – please, please make sure your ferrets are vaccinated for canine distemper. If they get it it IS a death sentence for them, so please make sure!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Ann

I’m loving all the vaccine love in this thread and I’m very happy to hear that Koda won’t have permanent damage!

Kiya
                          Participant

They’ve added the chicken pox vaccine as required in my area. No vaccine = no going to school for your kiddo.

AND, since having chicken pox (as opposed to the vaccine) can lead to shingles when you’re an adult, it’s actually not a bad idea to get it.

I’m a big fan of flu shots, but that’s because I have absolutely no reaction to them so far and I hate the flu. If the boys or I ever got sick from the shot, we’d start skipping them, but as long as we don’t I’ll continue to go for it. 🙂

Pegasi1978
                            Participant

Glad to hear your fur baby is going to be okay. My sister-in-law’s cat had a bad reaction to an OTC flea treatment once. She was told if she had treated him with it again the next month it could have killed him. Scary when the things that are supposed to help end up doing the opposite.

They’ve added the chicken pox vaccine as required in my area. No vaccine = no going to school for your kiddo.

AND, since having chicken pox (as opposed to the vaccine) can lead to shingles when you’re an adult, it’s actually not a bad idea to get it.

Chicken pox vaccine is required in my area for school as well. And since I never had them as a child (not for a lack of exposure either) I opted to be vaccinated when my oldest started school.

Nina
                              Participant

Yeah rabies vaccine is required by law here, and Koda’s never had any reaction to any vaccines before, or we would not have done the ProHeat 6. There are so many other heart worm meds out there, we had just been told that the ProHeart 6 was great because you didn’t have to worry about a monthly pill & the Worm Shield which was what Koda was on, was recalled 🙁

But I’ll stick with the monthly pill from now on, the convenance does not out weight the risks on ProHeart 6 in my mind.

As for vaccines Koda will still get the normal stuff because he’s had no issue to that before. but we will be splitting them up more, not getting them at the same time. I’m not going to say anything negative about yearly vaccines because this was not a normal yearly vaccine but a Heart worm preventive. So everyone is entitled to their opinion on the subject. I just think more research needs to be done on some medications & vets should give more warnings about side effects that some meds can cause. If I had known ProHeart 6 had killed dogs in the past & had been pulled from the market once, I would not have given it to my dog.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.