Welcome BRoS

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

How do you like Iceland? I have never been. Whats it like? 🙂

Starbreeze
      Participant

I’d like to know too!! 😉

Duld
        Participant

Well, actually I see it like paradize, the population numbers reacheds 300.000 two years ago, no this is not a typing error, we have all kinds of nature, (I know it’s a funny way to say it) and it devides between two continents, Europe and America, I live in the America part , not far from the crack that devides Iceland, the landscape is rough around here, mostly lava and little tiny volcanoes, on my side of the country their kinda kold, further east we have 3 that erupt like once every 10 years or so, and one of them is in a glacier, that’s kinda funny but true, errrm … we have geysers, and the one and only Geysir the one which the others are named after.

links to photos of my part of the country
          http://www.arctic-images.com/picture_gallery/Hot/hot_pages/pages/Reykjanes.htm
          this very photo is like 10 kilometers outside my town, you can see the mountain Keilir and the heat from the crack that devides the continent, that photographer has other cool photos of Iceland so feel free to wander on

http://nivefur.eplica.is/midlun-og-thjonusta/hrafnathing/greinar/nr/43
          here the crack can be seen and on the picture to the left, where the crack penetrates the country, that’s the part that I live in

the blue lagoon is like 20 minutes away from my place

we also have weather samples, some days the weather changes every 15 minutes or so, but mostly the weather is normal, but occationally I can stand in like blasting sunlight and watch a wall of rain (or snow) from 2 meters away, sounds like a lie but it isnt,

also the writer of lord of the rings kame here and fell for the country, and some of his figures of fiction come from our sagas, like Thjodan son of Thengel (Þjóðan Þengilsson) Those names can be found in anchient Icelanfdic scripts called the Edda, along with the names of Gimli, Gandalf (Gandalfur), Frodo (Fróði) Billbó, Middle earth is a direct translation of the heiden world of Miðgarður whitch was the place of humans in old nordic religion, and one of the gods Balder had a ring of whom had the ability that every nineth night eight rings grew out of him, and the name Sauron is eledgedly from the word Saur (which means filth), the drows, and trolls, along with some other things come straight from the Icelandic prophecy of worlds end, RAGNARRÖK

Duld
          Participant

oh and Loki (lokie) is the name of the nordic god of trechery and deception 😯

Starbreeze
            Participant

Thanks for the links to the pictures…those are really beautiful. I know so little about Iceland, but based on what you’ve said and these pictures, I’d like to know more. 😉

Also, thanks for the Lord of the Rings info. I never knew where Tolkien had gotten the ideas for his characters and Middle Earth. 🙂

Awesome pics on the first link. I couldn’t get the second one to work.

Duld
              Participant

starbreeze wrote:

Also, thanks for the Lord of the Rings info. I never knew where Tolkien had gotten the ideas for his characters and Middle Earth. 🙂

actually the caracters are his Idea, the names are Icelandic, and the landscape here are more links

a common sight in Iceland
                http://www.69.is/openlink.php?id=78572

Dimmuborgir : horribly beautyful, eledgedly the doorway to hell and Tolkiens rolemodel for Mordor
                http://www.education-centre-uu.se/Bildspel/Bildspel-island/pages/Dimmuborgir%204%20Adda%20i%20kyrkan%20020731.htm
                http://www.islandsvefurinn.is/%20photo2.asp?ID=541

http://www.destination-iceland.com/about/south/skaftafellhiking.html

the last link is the best, you can see most of Iceland through there

click on the local names, the capital letters to the left and get more pictures

lamortefille
                Participant

Beautiful pictures and cool info…thanks for sharing: -)

Awesome. I love the pics in the first link the best.

Skigod377
                  Participant

Very beautiful!! Lucky you! 😀

Duld
                    Participant

thank you thank you 😀 my country my pride, we also have towns and A City mhohahahaha (not that any other country would call it a city)

Lovely! And the Middle Earth stuff was great! 🙂

siberakh1
                      Participant

Ack! Finally posting. Welcome BRoS! I’m hoping to get up to Iceland in the next year or two. Debating whether to visit during the summer or in time for Þorrablót (Thorrablot) to try all the Icelandic foods (even Hákarl.. I’ll at least try it) that generally aren’t found elsewhere 😛 (it will probably end up being during the summer though). You’re so lucky to have such a small population!

I’d love to see your name written out. Nordic and Teutonic names are fun!

Once again, welcome! 8)

Duld
                        Participant

kewl 😀 so you wanna try the shark, there’s no need to kome in the þorrablót unless you wanna try sour sheep balls or testicle wraps (understandably these are only served once a year, I mean who would like them more often) but then again, if you really want to try it, I can check if you can get it anywhere, there are some foods in that range that sell all year long so you could get most of it whenever you come, I recommend late august to get here, ok it’s not the warmest time but it’s the buisyest time of year, first weekend in august we have Verslunarmannahelgi (shopworkers-off-weekend), next weekend is Gay-pride, I don’t remember if it’s the next weekend or after that that is Menningarnótt (Culture night) in Reykjavík, one of the biggest cultural events in Iceland, and the first weekend in september is Ljósanótt (Night of lights) in Reykjanesbær (my town) and that’s a big event, so alot is going on at that time of year

My name is Birta Rós Sigurjónsdóttir ( we don’t have family names, we are known by our fathers)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.