fbpx

Washing Machines–UPDATE–GOT IT!! ON PAGE 1

Home Forums Miscellany Community Washing Machines–UPDATE–GOT IT!! ON PAGE 1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kiya
    Participant

Cons:

– Have to load from a kneeling position

Nope, you don’t have to kneel.
      You can purchase an optional base with a drawer. The base raises up the washer and dryer to a more comfortable loading position and the drawer provides tons of storage for detergent etc.

Even the bases don’t put them to a comfortable height for me to stand – I still have to kind of hunch over. It’s not a big deal for me since all the laundry is on the floor too, but it could be an issue for some people!

Plus the optional drawers add a good bit to the price! 🙂

The house we bought has a front loader, I’m not excited about it at all, but I will be looking for the pedestals for sure.

Kim
      Blocked

We had a nice new front loading set a few years ago and it did use less water and got the clothes cleaner. I noticed especially the whites and socks came out clean. Now that we just rent we just have a basic top loading set in the shared laundry room and it doesn’t do as well but is good enough for now. We use natural laundry detergents too, especially Nellie’s All Natural and their oxygen whitener which works really well and doesn’t leave a film on clothes or in the washer and it’s also good for HE washers. For anyone with allergies, it’s the best I have found and the nice thing is they don’t test on animals like Tide does or anything made by Proctor and Gamble.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

LadyFirebird
        Participant

Thank you everyone for your input! It is most helpful. I find even with talking with people around me that they either love the new efficiency machines or they hate them. And DragOn–if you were out here or I was where you are, I’d definitely pay you a visit when the time comes for me to replace my old set. Thank you for your very detailed input. I currently own a Kenmore set that is a little over 30 years old! Right now, I only wash about 5 – 7 loads a month! I have heard good things about LG and Samsung and I’m glad to see that there are top loaders that are efficient.

Keep the comments coming–I feel that there are others beside me who are interested in this topic.

It may be this year or the next, but a new washer and dryer is definitely in my plans. Will let everyone know what I decided on. Thanks again!

phantomess
          Participant

Great entertainment! I might have to show these reviews to my husband! :p

I haven’t read that many yet- just some of the first page- but I can’t help wondering if these are a joke, mostly written by the same person or something. Would that many people take the time to type such detailed accounts of their experience, and be so eloquent, descriptive & humorous?

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

darjeb
            Participant

Don’t know, just don’t love them. I hate that they lock, I find a random sock or shirt I want to be able to throw it in.

I have done the same thing and it is a pain but they are so much nicer than my old top loader I just live with it

darjeb
              Participant

Definitely a front loader. I have a set made by Whirlpool called Duet and both the washer and drier start by simply pushing a button. It the past I had a top load washer that had a knob for choosing and setting and the knob broke after a few years and in checking for that part it was $125 (ouch) with a push button you don’t have to worry about that happening.

Has anybody used those soap gel packs in the front loaders with the automatic dispensers? I have been afraid to try one for fear of it getting stuck somewhere before it gets to the clothes and would love to know if anybody has had any experience with them.

etruscan
                Participant

Definitely a front loader. I have a set made by Whirlpool called Duet and both the washer and drier start by simply pushing a button. It the past I had a top load washer that had a knob for choosing and setting and the knob broke after a few years and in checking for that part it was $125 (ouch) with a push button you don’t have to worry about that happening.

LOL – the broken knob definitely brings back memories! My mom’s washer (Kenmore top loading) is at least 25 years old, and the choosing wash cycle/turn on the machine dial has been broken for over 10 years. You can use a pair of pliers to turn the dial stem and pull it out to start the washer, so the pliers just live on top of the machine. 🙂

Kiya
                  Participant

Has anybody used those soap gel packs in the front loaders with the automatic dispensers? I have been afraid to try one for fear of it getting stuck somewhere before it gets to the clothes and would love to know if anybody has had any experience with them.

I actually use those almost exclusively. You don’t put it in the dispenser at all. Toss it directly in the drum before you put the clothes in, then program your load as normal.

siberakh1
                    Participant

We have a Maytag Bravos XL top loader. It is a newer, high efficiency washer, so no agitator. It works well enough and no dials. My mom doesn’t feel that it cleans the close as well as the old agitator types, but *shrug* I think it does as long as you work with the washer (the high efficiency ones work slightly different than the older ones and my mom is a creature of habit) just need don’t need to use as much soap and find the setting that works well for what you are washing. We’ve had it for about 2-3 years. The load size is quite good, but the older top loader we had previously was actually good sized as well, not at all like the tiny top loaders I’ve seen at the laundromats (those things are soooooo tiny!!!).

Our dryer is a Maytag Neptune front loading dryer. We’ve had it for a while (it’s more than 6 years old). Works just fine.

In the summer, we also take advantage of Mother Nature and will put things out on the line to dry for good ol’ sunshine (nothing beats that smell and the sun can actually help some stains fade). Not a permanent option and not available in all locations due to silly laws.

I think the previous ones we’ve had were Maytag as well. The only things I haven’t been able to wash or dry in them are a few of the thick, large quilts we have. I take them to the laundromat for the Big Boy machines. My sister-in-law has front loading LG machines. They seem to work well too.

WEll, I have no washing machine or dryer, but personally I really like the HE Front loaders .:)

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Lokie
                      Participant

I’ve been following this thread, as our 17 year old top loading washer had been going; first the belt and ball bearings were on their last leg, then a couple days before Christmas, it started to leak! Anyways, we were on the fence between a top loader with no agitator, or a front loader. I personally didn’t have the best experience with the front loaders at work, but also didn’t want to deal with the unbalancing that happened often with our top loader during spinning. Anyways, today the front loader won out and we bought a LG WM3050CW. It’s being delivered on Wednesday. Very excited =)

darjeb
                        Participant

LOL – the broken knob definitely brings back memories! My mom’s washer (Kenmore top loading) is at least 25 years old, and the choosing wash cycle/turn on the machine dial has been broken for over 10 years. You can use a pair of pliers to turn the dial stem and pull it out to start the washer, so the pliers just live on top of the machine. 🙂

Mine was a Kenmore top loader also but would you believe my b/f fixed it with part of an old license plate off hi car. He can fix or repair just about anything I can break.

darjeb
                          Participant

I actually use those almost exclusively. You don’t put it in the dispenser at all. Toss it directly in the drum before you put the clothes in, then program your load as normal.

Thank you I’ll get some. I use them in my dishwasher and love them so much less messy than the liquid

dragonmedley
                            Participant

Even if the old drier could have lasted a bit longer, the new one will be more efficient. Congrats!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.