fbpx

Vulture Rescue

Home Forums Miscellany Community Vulture Rescue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Around 7ish this evening I noticed my cat intently staring out the window. After watching for something in the front yard with him for a few minutes, I relaized he was watching this big black bird pace back and forth in our yard trying to get to the dirt road. I thought it looked like a black ckicken or something, so I let my husband know and we went out to the front porch to take a better look at it. It was a Turkey Vulture. Thus began the phone tag…

Sam with Wild at Heart helped me try to reach two people in Prescott, but I only got their answering machines. So Sam told me to take it to our local zoo in the morning if those two people don’t get back to me.

The poor thing has a broken wing. My husband said it looks to have a brake/fracture in it’s upper and lower arm of the wing. Also, he said it looks like it had been bitten or drug on the ground some distance. It tried to fly away when he used a beach towel to catch it and put it in a box(which has holes for air and a towel on the bottom) so I hope it didn’t damage it’s wing more from the struggle. Here’s hoping it’s a stubborn one and lasts through the night so we can take it in to have it go into rehab. <3

I’ll see about pictures…but I’m not sure they’ll allow me to see it again tomorrow morning :
    What a night 😐

www.nakaseart.com

www.nakaseart.com

Skigod377
    Participant

Wow I sure hope a bird rescue will take it in. I’d love to see pics if you get a chance. πŸ™‚ Ugly things, arent they?? πŸ˜€

Adaneth
      Participant

Awwww, poor vulture! πŸ™ I wonder if he got hit by a car? I hope he survives until you can get him to rehab!

skigod377 wrote:

Ugly things, arent they?? πŸ˜€

They are one of the few animals that scares me. Normal vultures don’t but turkey ones do.
        Regardless on how ugly and scary I think they look I don’t want one to suffer. I hope he makes it. He was so lucky to find you!

Well, the vulture made it through the night alright, and is now at our local zoo. While I was there, I also got to see two bobcat kitties come in, but didn’t get any work about the bird. I hope they call me to let me know what happened with it, I’m one of those animal types. πŸ˜›

No pictures guys : inless the zoo takes them and sends them to me, this might be the end of the story :

www.nakaseart.com

Skigod377
        Participant

Well at least he is safe. I hope he recovers. Very nice of you to take the time. A lot of folks would not bother. πŸ™‚

purpledragonclaw
          Participant

That was very nice of you, Nakase. They are really large up close. I love the way turkey vultures look, I always thought they were pretty. I’m glad it seems to be doing better.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I think they are lovely animals too! They are fascinating.
              Thank you for looking out for him. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

KoishiiKitty
              Participant

way to go Nakase! that is just awesome. vultures are really cool birds. we had a group that would nest in the pine trees a few houses over. *snortrofl* they drove every one nuts! jumbo bird bombs!

Adaneth
                Participant

Glad to hear he made it to the zoo. πŸ™‚

honestly, it was very odd finding this vulture wounded. A few days earlier there were two vultures hanging out around our house, which was neat. Normally we have the ravens, grackles, mockingbirds, and the house finches. I thought it would be neat if we were going to be adding to our daily company. Now I wonder if perhaps it was wounded and the other two were checking on it? All sorts of theories going through my head.

I saw a turkey vulture get hit by a car when I was young. It was rather sad and disturbing that no one checked to see if it survived. So yesterday when I had a chance to help this one out, I was up for the challenge of phone tag.

Glad to share the story πŸ™‚

www.nakaseart.com

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

Good on ya, Nakase!

twindragonsmum 8)

tdm

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Neat and unusual rescue!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

LadyFirebird
                      Participant

Well the bird is in the right hands and you did what you could. Glad it made it through the night and hope the zoo lets you know what happened to him! Thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.