fbpx

Unexpected visitor

Home Forums Miscellany Community Unexpected visitor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

I live out in kinda the woods, so we see all sorts of wildlife from our windows, but this one was new! We know they’re around, we just very rarely see them, and usually for such a brief moment that pics are out of the question.

But not this time!
      6F406E8C-6DF5-4BFB-B582-0C7B57277405
      29BAD22A-13CA-48D6-8C8E-1CF038E5E18D

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Suzanne-Marie
      Participant

What gorgeous photos !!
        Absolutely magical !!
        Thank you for sharing Dragonmedley!!
        Hugs !!

Ela_Hara
        Participant

Beautiful ‘classic’ red fox!
          We see them around sometimes but usually during the evenings after dusk.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Mary
          Participant

Beautiful photo, DragonMedley! We have foxes, coyotes that roam our subdivision during the nights, but I’ve never caught one on camera.

I’ve had some unusual visitors this year at my bird feeder. Lived here 30 years and this was the first year I had two pairs of Mallard ducks eating bird seed from under my feeder and coming for fresh water. One day the female mallard was feeding & got spooked by an Eagle that landed on my bird bath. First year for the eagles too. By the time I got back with camera, he was gone so missed a pic.

mallards

Bodine
            Participant

How cool!

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Suzanne-Marie
              Participant

What a gorgeous Mallard 🦆 duck pair Mary!!
                Great Photo; looks like a professional photographer took it !!
                What kind of eagles 🦅 did you see??
                Thank you for sharing !!
                Big Hugs !!

Mary
                Participant

It’s the camera, not the photographer that takes great pics. 😉 The female ducks were friendlier than the males & loved posing for pics. They came by every day at daybreak, and waited for me to fill up the feeders & water. Didn’t even fly away when I’d come outside. They’d come up to the patio window to taunt my cats who flipped out.

The eagles were American bald eagles. We have a couple spots about 50 miles west of here where people have gone to watch the eagles along Illinois & Mississippi Rivers, but until about 5 years ago, they’d never been seen nearby. I live near a forest preserve lake which attracted a pair of eagles to nest. It drew a big crowd & our papers covered it with photos of the nest & birds with webcam watch to see if the eggs hatched.

Audubon has a great app that allows you to post pics of any sightings and allows you to see what species of birds have been spotted nearby. When I saw the eagles & went to the app, it showed hundreds of sightings in my area. Ditto for the mallards, which is how I figured out where they were nesting in nearby ponds in other sub divisons.

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

Every Spring we have a Mallard pair that comes to our bird feeding station. We sometimes also have single drakes come in as well. Very pretty!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                    Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                    Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                    *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Mary
                    Participant

Ela, Do your ducks eat out of the feeder? Mine hang out under the feeder and wait for the birds or squirrels to knock the food onto the ground. I was wondering if the ducks (or their offspring) would return in Spring and remember where they found food. Originally, I thought it was just one pair, but noticed the colors on the female varied and learned later that I had two pairs when they both arrived at the same time to feed, and the males got into a fight with each other. Nobody got hurt, but they sure made lots of noise. I’m going to watch for them. I think last year they first migrated here in March.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

An eagle in your bird bath! I’m green with envy… 😁

When we lived in the city, we had a couple of mallards who came every summer. The liked the pool and cleaned up under the feeder. The feeder even fed a falcon of some sort once or twice! Not the seeds, you understand…

Now with the pond, we see mallards, mergansers, wood ducks, blue heron, green heron, turtles, you name it. We have some raptors who nest not far once in a while and we’ll see the youngsters bathing in the pond.

We also use the Audubon app! It’s awesome to help identify birds – for example, we had no idea green herons existed.

Mary
                        Participant

Awesome! Maybe I should put in a pond. What is a merganser? I’ve seen herons over by the lake although never a blue heron.

The eagle isn’t the only predator that comes here for meals. Caught this Coopers Hawk looking for my pet chipmuunks to feed upon.

Interesting story….I hear a big thud on my patio door window & go to check it out not knowing if it was a bird or golf ball from my neighbor’s practice range. I see feathers lying on the ground along with the hawk & thought he was dead but when I went to get the camera, he awoke from his stunned state & flew off.

I leave obstacles for my chipmunks to use for hiding from him and my guess is that the chipmunk ran to my firepit to hide under it, and he chased it and hit the window. Pretty smart chipmunk.

hawk

dragonmedley
                          Participant

https://images.app.goo.gl/PHTnTWghaLgay8hH7
                            The common merganser is what I call a diving duck, like the loon. I copied a link from an image from a quick google search.

Mary
                            Participant

My pair of mallard ducks returned this year! They remembered my bird feeder, but forgot me. This year they flew off when I went out to put more seeds out. Last year they got used to me outside & din’t fly off. Despite the cold weather & snow every couple days, they’re still nesting. If this weather keeps up, they might change their mind & migrate back down south.

ducksreturn

mallard-bunny

Catriona
                              Participant

How cool!

I adore foxes. They’re so beautiful. I saw one along the road and one in a cemetery . It spooked me. It was so funny.

I love Halloween 🎃 and other spooky things. Bats, cats, ghosts , and monsters. I love 💕 to write stories and draw.

drag0nfeathers
                                Participant

I wish I could catch beautiful wildlife like this where I live!

All I see lately are great big brown rats and an occasional squirrel.

If I drive a away away from the city center we have coyotes, wild turkeys, and skunks… drive further into the boonies maybe you’ll see raccoon and deer in the less populated areas, but definitely not in my neighborhood. LOL!

Got a busted Windstone?
                                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.