fbpx

Tips on paint matching specific color schemes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Tips on paint matching specific color schemes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

This is not me giving tips, it’s me asking for some!! I’m hoping that maybe people will post their techniques for matching certain color schemes on dragons in particular ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve begun working on a repair of an Amethyst male in my spare time and I am curious if anyone has any tips on how to paint match the colors for this scheme? Are there any specific brands of paint that seem to match the amethyst colors better than others?

Any other tips for any color scheme would be great to post here too ๐Ÿ™‚

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Not sure on Amethyst. Haven’t had to try and paint match that yet. I use the Folk Art Metallics for the blue, green, and purple on Peacock though.

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

WolfenMachine
        Participant

I matched the paint for my old green young that got broke-a-fied, but it was so long ago. I am pretty good at matching paint colors, but the metallic paints are difficult. Tried matching the blue and violet seen on the Rainbow Emperor, and he looks like poo-so I hide his poor repaired, unpainted tail until I can get some touch up from Windstone. Oh and BTW-automotive paint is a close match (I used a Chevy Blue that matches my poor wrecked and gone Cavalieer) but it doesnt match exactly-nor does it go on as nice as I would have liked.

Hannah
          Participant

Awesome! Good call on the Folk Art metallics – that’s what I use, simply because they were the only metallics at Michaels when I went about 2 months ago XD I’ll have to check out the automotive paint too and see what’s available.

Thanks guys ๐Ÿ™‚

Melody
            Keymaster

The easiest way is to ask us for touch up paint!
              Some colors are pretty close to off-the-shelf ones you can buy, but they can be really expensive.
              If it is a retired color and we don’t have the paint anymore I might be able to figure out what paint we used to mix it.
              Some colors are very difficult to match, even with the right paint because you get a different look when the pant is airbrushed on, and the color may be the result of layering several colors. I hope an autumn leaf dragon never needs touch up.

Hannah
              Participant

The easiest way is to ask us for touch up paint!

Oh my gosh that would be amazing! I wasn’t sure if you guys did that anymore XD

Kathleen
                Participant

yes I got some pearl touch up paint for my mother dragon. Melody (and everyone at Windstone) is fantastic! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, I was gonna say what Melody said, beg Windstone for some! LOL!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.