fbpx

"Three Kings" WIP to Finished Painting

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion "Three Kings" WIP to Finished Painting

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Oook.. I’m getting frustrated with this thing now. Not only am I two days behind on my goals now, I’m undoing and redoing a LOT on this red dog (Trickier dog than I thought it would be!)
    So I need very honest opinions.
    Does the middle black dog (Finished) match the detail of what is done on my red dog (Just look at the red markings, the white markings are barely worked on) or am I over-detailing the red dog? – That red is harder to match the style as the black in my opinion and easier to detail out but it *has* to match the middle dog or it won’t look right. – I tried to ask my mother who wanted to see it and her opinion was to make the far back dog less detailed (Close to what its roughed in version is now? Uh. No?) and leave the red alone. But since she told me to leave the back dog more plain, I don’t trust her opinion for the red dog right now x.x

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/XRavensIceX/ThreeKings-WIP17.jpg

OK heres my opinion….
    The red dog needs more red detail in the ears. They are to lightened with the white. If you look at the ears of middle black dog you have quite a bit of black coat showing and less white for accent (perfect on the black dog by the way) The red needs to be similarly colored only red and white not black and white. I think that there is just too much white highlight and not enough of the actual red that the dog is. It needs to have the red underneath with the white accent like the middle Black. Ahhhhhhhhhh I hope I am making sense!! I’m Rambling now!!! Sorry Kay!

Are you getting what I mean or am I speaking another language…..I know what I want to say but not sure it is coming across correct!!

etruscan
    Participant

I don’t know what the red dog actually looks like, so it’s a little hard to critique but … I think the red parts are fine except maybe the front ear? It looks like the fur on the front ear is finer and more detailed than the ears of the black dogs (especially the finished one). Is this the effect you wanted? The red dog’s ears also look more blond than red, but maybe they are that way on the dog. Could they be too “bright” like the finished dog’s nose was?

KaytanaPhoenix
      Participant

I know what you’re trying to say Branzy! πŸ™‚ But the dogs ears are more blonde so the light is proper for it.. (This dogs coloration has seriously been messing with me, lol, so don’t feel bad about it seeming off)

Here is the reference photo. I was thinking the detail in the dogs face was coming out too detailed.. but I could be wrong? I don’t know.. it could all seem wrong to me simply because it’s a different color in the whole. My ‘too detailed’ feeling may be the fact that the red dog has a lot more color tones on it than the blacks do!

After a nice lil cat nap (I was SO tired) and being able to come back at this with your perspectives, I think I will finish out the white detailing and work on the other black dog and if I need to revisit the ear I will do so once I can really compare it to a more final image in a whole.. The first black dog came together a lot more smoothly, so with all luck, the other black will come together smoothly and I’ll only argue with the red dog ;p lol!

Ok totally ignore me I was way off! πŸ™‚ Sorry. Told ya I am not an artist!! HEHE

etruscan
        Participant

After comparing the red dog photo with your painting, I would say you got it. I will be interested to see how he looks once his eyes open. πŸ™‚

KaytanaPhoenix
          Participant

Latest Update: My “Daily Goals” died XD lmao.. bad days and being sick both had fun destroying my great idea, lol!

So here is what has been done to time of this post:

I found getting the white details on the red dog really helped my issues with how the red markings looked.. I’m thinking about toning down the darker details on the white on the middle dog… comparing him to the others, I actually like the look of the other much more! Thankfully that’s a relatively easy fix on the middle dog! lol…

etruscan
            Participant

It is looking very good. πŸ™‚ Hope you are feeling better!

KaytanaPhoenix
              Participant

It is looking very good. πŸ™‚ Hope you are feeling better!

Thank you! and Thank you! ;p lol

Trying to stay awake and paint when all you wanna do is sleep is no fun! Thankfully I don’t feel like death right now so I can go to my friends b’day party tonight! but thinking I should drink that can of Monster in the fridge if I don’t wanna pass out halfway through the night XD

Robin
                Participant

I think it looks great. Are these portraits or can you change the markings a bit? I’m just wondering because it looks like the nose on the main dog is pointing in a slightly different direction than the head. But, it may just be that lovely blaze at the top of the head making it look off. I think if you tweeked the top of the blaze to the left a bit (it bends slightly right and skews the line off to the right when it should go left) it might make the nose look more in line.

Sorry if I am out of line. (un-intentional pun). You did ask for honest feedback. Still, I think your work is fantastic.

KaytanaPhoenix
                  Participant

I think it looks great. Are these portraits or can you change the markings a bit? I’m just wondering because it looks like the nose on the main dog is pointing in a slightly different direction than the head. But, it may just be that lovely blaze at the top of the head making it look off. I think if you tweeked the top of the blaze to the left a bit (it bends slightly right and skews the line off to the right when it should go left) it might make the nose look more in line.

Sorry if I am out of line. (un-intentional pun). You did ask for honest feedback. Still, I think your work is fantastic.

You’re not out of line πŸ™‚

They are portraits, so sadly that blaze issue is stuck x.x it tweaks to the right like that on the dog itself.. if you cover that part of the picture (hold your hand over the top of its head) the face lines up fine.. it’s just an odd marking x.x ‘n I had to make that dog the one it is, because I don’t have a good front angle photo of either of the other two dogs, so I don’t know what their markings look like.. nor do I have photos of the other sides of their bodies, so I couldn’t ‘flip’ the layout of the painting (Have that middle dog facing left instead of right, so the blaze would look proper) – It took a lot to get ref photos at all, so I’m working with what I do have..

KaytanaPhoenix
                    Participant

*Sniffles ‘n tries to hold back the sneeze* >.< … argh I hate being sick!

Here we go. SO close yet not quite!

Eyes, Noses, background and random tweaks tomorrow! (Still gotta tweak the middle dogs greys to match the other two better) – I’m too tired to be able to properly judge wth I’m doing anymore x.x

Adaneth
                      Participant

All I can say is that it’s looking fabulous, and that’s one lucky and happy commissioner coming up! πŸ™‚

*waves pompoms* You’re gonna make it!

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

All I can say is that it’s looking fabulous, and that’s one lucky and happy commissioner coming up! πŸ™‚

*waves pompoms* You’re gonna make it!

XD Thanks! I’m finally not hating the painting! Yay! (Most of my paintings go through a stage where I hate them, lol!) Gonna go finish it up right now and then bask in the glory of my artistic freedom! – I haven’t worked on anything while my deadline loomed over me, it’s been rather difficult with two PYO dragons waiting for their color scemes to be finialized and *attempt* to paint them! XD

KaytanaPhoenix
                          Participant

I have had a very.very bad day. So with luck this is actually done, but my mind (and vision) is so foggy I really can’t tell what/if I need to change anything. I was supposed to order prints tonight, but I’m taking the hit that they may not show up in time, so I don’t take the hit that they’re printed wrong. – It’s lucky I’ve even finished this today with what I’ve gone through… and I *just* finished it, at 5:20am. – I have not slept yet. When all I had to do today was 2 sets of eyes, 2 noses, tweak small things and a background.

Still open for opinions, depending on what it is on if I can fix something = I’ve already got too many hours and effort in a massively underpriced piece (I shot myself in the foot. But note that I screwed myself, not my commissioner, by sticking to the quoted price – that was quoted over 2 years ago – It took a lot of time to get ref photos! Only time my commissioner keeps in contact with me is two annual dogshows a year so a lot of time passes where I don’t get in contact with them. It’s weird but how it worked)

Please respect that use of this image (In parts or in whole) without written permission from the artist (myself, KaytanaPhoenix) is prohibited. – This is a commission of someone’s beloved pets, so *please* respect this. (I’m not greatly concerned about Windstone people. Just covering my basis of this being an open site to anyone)

Adaneth
                            Participant

The only thing I could possibly pick at is that the ‘scale’ of the fur texture on the ears of the black dogs seem bigger than the red dog. But my word, all the rest is simply fabulous.

Get some sleep and destress!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.