The Power of Horses

Home Forums Miscellany Community The Power of Horses

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Kim.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Matty
    Participant

Hey everyone!

Its story time.. with Matty. I want to share with everyone here a story about me and the connection to horses.

Before I was born.. but not that far from it, my mom had a Horse named Smokey. Smokey was her fourth child lol. She had three sons already and was at that part in life in her mid thirties where she had all she needed in life.
      As I said Smokey was my moms fourth child and her baby. Together they accomplished wonderful things. They won several ribbons for parade competitions, and living on a ranch Smokey even went out hunting with a neighbour who rode him, and claimed he was the most calm horse he had been on when firing a gun. A feat I have been told that not all horses like.

I heard many stories of how Smokey would roll on his back and love to have his belly rubbed, and even a time when he snuck into the kitchen from the front door. Not sure how a horse could be that stealthy! He would play with my brothers and they would go sledding down hills and Smokey would pull them back up to the top. He was very much apart of the family.

Often when my family would go out in their car.. Smokey would follow them down the long drive way from his field almost like a dog.. or perhaps he wished he could go too, to where ever they were going. I am sure he would have tried to get in the car if he could.

I should mention that Smokey got his name from his coloring. He started off white at his hooves.. turning grey and then black in his mane. I am sure he was gorgeous in person. Oh I am not sure how tall this is.. but he was 16 hands tall.. if that makes sense if I recall.

My father at the time volunteered for the local fire department. I heard a story of how a fire broke out in a nearby home.. Ranch country.. so homes were far apart. The home went up in flames and was destroyed before the fire department got there. The family was safe and no one hurt. My father called my mother up and asked if the family could come over for the night. I heard how Smokey brought some smiles back to the children that lost their home that day when they got to visit with him.

Well.. life happens.. mistakes were made and my father gambled to much.. and my family lost the ranch. Sounds almost like a Hallmark story. My grandfather ( moms dad ) who was not a fan of my Dad told my mom that they could live with them for awhile until they got settled. I could only imagine how my father felt having to leave everything behind due to a few mistakes. Unfortunately Smokey was not able to go with them. The Neighbour that took Smokey out hunting, already had a young Mare named Misty, who was already fond of Smokey and told my mom he would buy Smokey and give him a good home with Misty the Mare. My mom often recalled how much she cried that day she had to leave him, and how he followed them up the drive from his field watching them go in the car.. it would be the last time he followed them. It would also be the last time she saw Smokey. It forever broke her heart. Before leaving that day, my mother asked for one thing only of Smokeys, so she could always feel close to him. She asked if she could keep his horse reigns.

Smokey went on to live a good life.

My mom kept in touch with the Neighbour that took him in, and she got many updates to how he was doing.

Smokey’s reigns always hung in our family home growing up. I got to hear about him from my mom, as she showed me old black and white photos of him, and even had a movie reel of him and my mom during a parade! Classic stuff.

A couple years later after my family had to leave the ranch.. I was born. Surprise! Very unexpected pregnancy!

My father and my mother ended up divorcing shortly after my birth. My father continued to make a few mistakes, more with money and one with a young lady, he left my mother and us for.

Four years ago my father passed away. I always kept in touch with my mom often as all good children should. I am the baby after all, at least after Smokey lol.

My parents had me late in their lives. My mom was starting to get a little more tired than usual, so I would bring her over groceries and flowers. She was starting to miss my father, her younger sister and cousins all of whom passed away before her. She didn’t go out as much, so I did my best to cheer her up. We would talk about Smokey as his reigns were hung up on the wall and where she lived there was a pond so she shared stories of the ducks and neighbours with me over tea. The ducks had more exciting lives!

One afternoon I went over to her house. She didn’t answer the door. Her car was in the garage. I knocked a few times more and let myself in as I had a house key. Phew I said.. as I went to her bedroom and found her fast asleep in bed. My mom was known to always get up early.. like sunrise early and have afternoon naps later in her life. At first I thought to myself.. I should let her sleep as she looked so peaceful. But then I said well, I should wake her up since I was already there. Funny thing she would not wake up. I was so confused, and only after a few attempts of nudging her did I realize she had died in her sleep. I am so thankful she looked so peaceful.

Its funny how things work out with families. You hear the stories. My older brothers moved out from home and drifted away from the family. I don’t see them even now, and spend holidays alone. I suppose some families just aren’t close. When it came time to divide up my Moms belongings it was a nightmare that I wont share to keep the story pleasant. But yes there are some that only see things as a dollar amount. That was a real nightmare. My one brother began tearing apart the house, placing things in piles only two days after her death. Claiming things he demanded he have. I sat there devastated. It was like he was tearing our mom apart in pieces as well. For some reason one of my three older brothers had taken Smokeys reigns off the wall and asked the others what to do with them. They concluded.. throw them in the garbage! They knew how much she loved that horse.. they knew Smokey themselves.
      I broke down, bawled like I never have before. I said, “Please tell me that Smokey came and took Mom away to be with all her family she missed that passed away. I went on to say I believed in my heart that Smokey came for her the day she passed away and carried her off so she they could be together again”

My brothers stopped what they were doing at that moment and over the next few days promised me that they would be more respectful in how things were handled.

I took only one thing from the house that day. I took Smokey’s reigns. I told my brothers that they would be staying with me.

I bought myself my very own home. A condo all of my own just recently. I am so lucky that I over look a pond. I have ducks where I live, just like where my mom lived. The first thing I made sure that was done was to hang Smokey’s reigns on the wall with care, respect and love. Friends of mine have horses that helped me to condition his reigns with soaps and such. His reigns are beautiful. They give me such comfort and peace to see them, and touch them. I never met Smokey but touching his reigns is so comforting. I cant really explain it but maybe someone will know and understand.

Oh dear this little story is gotten long.. the reason I am sharing this, is so members on here understand why some pieces I have from Windstones are so dear to my heart. I recently bought my first horse grab bag last fall. I had hoped in my heart that I would get one as close to as how Smokey looked. Sure enough.. I got the dark almost black horse with grey shades. When I opened him up, I was so touched with gratitude. He is by Smokey’s reigns. That pebble horse is special to me. I have a few more horse pieces, and most recently I am very fortunate to have won Silvertree in the Raffle. I know a few of you have already reached out to ask if I would consider selling him once he arrived at my place. It always makes me feel bad to say, “I am sorry, this piece is special to me and will be staying with me” I am sorry to have disappointed anyone.

Sometimes a Windstone piece means more than just having a collection.. or getting a certain colour or piece. For me the pieces I have are like my little family. I suppose I look at my pieces differently then just being a collector growing a collection. They have a sentimental meaning to me, which I can not place a value on.

If you made it this far.. thanks. Perhaps this story will inspire someone else out there to share about the special pieces they have and what they mean to them from the heart. I hope going forward no one is disappointed when I turn down selling a piece like Silvertree.. who I know will be much loved by me and will bring me happiness. He doesn’t complete any collection, nor is he a bragging piece. He is a Pegasus, a beautiful winged horse that reminds me of the power that horses bring to many lives.

Thank you – Matty

Kim
      Blocked

Thanks for sharing your story Matty. Sorry to hear about your dad and then losing your mom. My parents are getting older too and I always worry about getting married and having a family while they are still here but I have learned that life sometimes has it’s own timing for us. I love horses myself although I grew up in the city and just rode them at summer camp. I have gone through a lot too and learned a lot of lessons in the last few years when life knocked me down. I shared my story somewhere on this forum before and with a few people. I thought I had it all at one point and then lost it all. Long story short my mom and I went through foreclosures after being defrauded by a private lender when we were getting into real estate investing and lost both our houses and all our savings 8 years ago. A short time later we had to deal with a nightmare landlord who illegally locked us out of our house one night when we were behind on rent, wouldn’t let us back in, put all our belongings into storage a short time later and never told us where they were or how to get them back. We lost everything we ever owned including furniture, my grandma’s old antiques, my business supplies, collections, clothes, pictures of me and my family growing up, etc. and never saw it again. We had to move into a cheaper suite after being temporarily homeless and had to start all over again from scratch. We have moved maybe 20 times to rental after rental since then in the last 8 years.

It’s been really tough but I learned a lesson in humility and to appreciate everything I have and value those around me that I love and that care for me like my family and friends. Everything I buy or own now has so much value to me and I cherish my collection as well not just as pretty things I own but something that reminds me of the joy and innocence of childhood and things I used to own and love like the unicorns and dragons I collected as a kid. I lost all my collections along with everything else so just started collecting again a few years ago and trying to replace my most cherished belongings I lost. It took a few years to save the money to collect but it’s been worth it. I only keep pieces I love or that have meaning to me and sell or trade other ones. I collect a lot of rainbow things and animal print things like zebra or leopard prints as I used to own a lot of rainbow and animal print things I loved as a kid. Bright colours and patterns always cheered me up as I suffered from a lot of anxiety and worry as a child. My first favourite Windstone dragon was a rainbow one and I have also come to acquire a couple rainbow zebra paintings and stuffed animals, a rainbow zebra trail of painted ponies pony and now I have been lucky enough to acquire some Windstone rainbow zebra unicorns I love as unicorns were always my favourite mythological creature. Anyway it’s been an interesting journey in life and now collecting here but it’s been nice to meet new people, make new friends, share stories and trade things with people ever since I joined here.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Bodine
        Participant

Oh Matty,come here so I can give you big bear hug and then punch you for making me cry this morning.LOLOL
          That was an amazing,heartfilled story and much love and sadness for which I am so sorry for your losses.Life is tough but it seems you had an awesome Mother and yep,I pray she is riding Smokey all over the green fields in the bright sunlight.Hugz my friend,Mimi

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodine
          Participant

I had and still do have a tough life but we will not get into that.HORSES!We love our hoofers.I was born with a connection to them too.I have been fortunate to have had 2 in my lifetime.First was named Betsy.She was a dark Bay.We were put in foster homes when I was 4 and they had just gotten her.We lived on a huge corn farm with cows,Betsy,chickens,pigs, and acres of corn and food.We grew all our own.I did not know what a grocery store was until I got a few years older.Betsy was a working horse but she was my best friend.They bred her for me to be able to raise my own horse,we were in 4H.Well,as life would have it,a couple of months before the foal was born we had to go back to my mom.I always held that against her I think.Nothing makes me cry faster than to watch a newborn foal stand for the first time and for many months I would sit in Betsy’s stall,rubbing her belly and talking to the baby.I still long for that. Have you ever met a horse that loves hamburgers?Betsy did.She stole mine right out of my hand one day so after that I would sneak her one when I could.My second was a leopard appy.You couldn’t tell it though unless she was wet.Her spots would pop out then.Her eyes,ears and nose had dark specks but other than that she was white,mostly.I called her Molly B.Anyone remember the old movie”The Invincible Molly Brown?”That’s how she got named.I kept her in the back yard,literally.One time a hurricane was coming and I went to go get her to bring her in to stall when I heard my mom screaming.I run back to the house to see.She was yelling at Molly because she had come inside from the door I left open and walked right through the house to the livingroom.I would love to have seen Mom’s face.LOL Molly seemed perfectly fine with being inside.I turned her and walked her out,all the time laughing my butt off and she did not hit a single thing turning that big body around and going through the house.Kids can’t do that!She knew the storm was coming and wanted inside with the family too.hahaha I used to ride her bareback,with a white sheet and no reins actually,at night.The neighborhood was quiet and we would just roam the neighborhood together in the moonlight.Come to think of it,I wonder if some folks thought they were looking at a ghost.When dad died we had to move and I had to let her go.Broke my heart so bad and I still miss her.They do become our dear friends and I know they feel the same.I love my Windstone hoofers too and wish I had many more.I have yet to see one painted like Molly,close but not quite.I am so happy Matty got one that is so dear to him.I have watched so many beautiful painted grand unis go by I just take a deep sigh and wave bye-bye as I know it will never be mine.Then… ON TO THE NEXT!!lol

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Ela_Hara
            Participant

Indeed. I appreciate many on this forum for the fact that they are so easy to talk to and you feel like they understand – and we do! In one way or another we have all gone through similar losses and/or ups & downs, and can certainly empathize with you, Matty. I too teared up when reading your story – I just hope the people on my train thought I was only dealing with a cold or allergies.

Keep your memories close and your love closer. I’m glad that you won Silvertree and received your ‘Smokey’ Pebble Horse to help keep them alive for you.

As far as horses go… I LOVE them but sadly don’t have the proper situation where I could ever own one. I started drawing and doodling them in Grade school on all my papers and text books and it’s been so second nature all these years, that I can draw a horse with a pen and not make a mistake. I learned to ride English and Western in my young teens through early twenties. My FIRST stuffed animal when I was a child was little stuffed rag (fake fur-flock material) horse that my Mom got for me from a Goodwill store. He was brown with cream colored spots, white blaze, and natural colored yarn mane and tail. I named him “Benji”. I loved him so much and would cuddle and hug him when sad, glad, scared… and kissed his forehead so much that a quarter-sized spot became bare. I named that his ‘Kissing Spot’. I believe I still may have him, but I’m not quite sure. He may be in a box somewhere with some other items I loved from my childhood/early life.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
              Zeppard Adult Poads
              Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
              *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Matty
              Participant

Oh my gosh everyone thank you for sharing your stories! Kim..I love your rainbow colored collection you have.. and now I love your collection even more after hearing your story.Thank you for sharing it with me here. I hope there will be a special rainbow piece coming to you soon to bring you some happiness. Anxiety is a terrible monster. I have suffered from it myself. When I was little my mom bought me a rainbow ribbon kite with a unicorn on it. She hung it in my bedroom over my bed so I could see it when I went to bed and woke up in the morning. I was a kid of the 80’s and loved the He-Man and She-Ra. I would be thrilled to see a Swiftwind Pegasus from She-Ra. I could not imagine losing family photos and memories. I am so sorry that you went through that. I hope now you are able to take many pictures as you make new memories with your family. I was touched by your story, and it made me realize how grateful I should be to have the family photos and things I have still from my childhood.

Bodine.. we are even cause you story got some tears out of me to! I hope we find a special piece out there that looks like Molly. Seems horses like to be in houses lol. That could be a Dr.Seuss book.. Horses in Houses lol. I believe that horses will continue to be a big part of your life in someway. I am sure Molly never forgot you.

Ela-Hara.. it is cold and allergy season! Lol. Leila brought me some tears when she arrived.. I am looking at her now she is so lively and bright and cherry. I think you should go and find Benji where ever he is and give him and his kissing spot a hug!

Kim
                Blocked

Thanks Matty! I take a million photos now everywhere I go to hold onto those memories. It is still painful thinking about what we went through and every once in a while I think of what I used to have that I miss but at least I still have my friends and family that mean more to me. I don’t see my dad much but at least he lives in Calgary too and we talk once in a while. I was an only child so it’s always just been me and my mom. She was also an only child too so we don’t have much family and all my dad’s family is in Hungary. I have never been there but would love to go and meet them one day and travel across Europe! I am trying to save up a bit. I have overcome a lot of anxiety over the years but then it turned into depression after I went through everything. I am getting better now after getting help and forcing myself to go out and go to my church group and dance classes and hang out with people even when I don’t feel social. I was born in ’83 myself so I remember everything from the ’80s as well including He-Man and She-Ra and also Rainbow Brite, Punky Brewster and My Little Pony! As a child I loved unicorns too and had a unicorn picture hanging in my room and a stuffed animal unicorn too. I also loved anything pink or aqua coloured as a child. I still collect pink and rainbow things and even replaced most of my beanie babies off ebay after I lost that collection.

Bodine and Ela_Hara, thanks for sharing your stories too! It is nice hearing other people’s stories and what they have been through as it makes you appreciate life so much more when you realize we have all been through hard times and challenges and were strong enough to overcome them and get back on our feet. I love hearing stories about horses and animals too as my mom has been rescuing animals since I was little, taking in stray and abandoned cats and dogs and finding them great new homes. She used to bail dogs out of the pound just before they were going to put them down and she would pay around $130 for each one and sell them for maybe $30 just to save their lives and find them good homes. We had our own little zoo of animals too, several cats and dogs and different critters through the years like guinea pigs and rabbits and various other creatures. We have 4 cats now and two guinea pigs as we are not allowed dogs where we rent but I would love to get another dog when I buy my own house again someday. I love horses as well and if I lived in the country I would have horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, rabbits and whatever else I could have as pets. I would also get another border collie to herd the sheep as I used to have a border collie we would take to out the country to practice sheep herding and I would do agility with him as well! I would love to have a farm sanctuary for neglected or abused animals I could take in or rescue horses or other animals from going to slaughter. If only I had the money but hopefully one day.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.