The Only Thing I Can Make… drag0n's Cornchowder

Home Forums Miscellany Food The Only Thing I Can Make… drag0n's Cornchowder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

So… I am a terrible cook. Always have been. I don’t know why. I’m Italian… I should have marinara running through my veins but even though I may… it doesn’t help me cook.

But there is one thing I can make… and it’s corn chowder… I know… random right?

Anyway… it’s actually really damn good so here’s my completely half-assed recipe. Nothing has to be perfect here (this is probably why I can make it)

What you will need

2 – 3 cans of creamed corn
      1 big white onion
      a bag of gold or white potatoes
      a pack of bacon
      a package of sharp cheese (I usually use those cracker barrel ones)
      1 pint of heavy cream
      Italian seasoning (oregano, basil, dill, that kind of stuff)

optional, a couple scallions

So 1st get a package of bacon. Whatever kind of bacon you want. I use the cheap stuff just cause you’re gonna fry it up to a crisp anyway.

So get a pot, yes a pot. I big old soup pot and cook your bacon in that. Fry it up piece by piece so it’s super crispy and not all clear and fatty anymore. Take them out bit by bit and set them aside on some paper towel until you have cooked ALL of said bacon. Do your best not to eat half of it as you go along. I usually fail here.

So after you do that you have a pot full of bacon grease, perfect.

Chop up the giant onion, mince if you like, and throw that in the hot grease and brown it up a bit. (scallion as well if you want, but it’s not needed) Once that is cooking you’re gonna want do a lazy peel on 6 – 8 potatoes, wash and chop those up as well. Add about 2 to 3 coups of water to your onions and add the potatoes in.

Let that cook covered, until the potatoes are almost done. Maybe 8 – 10 minutes stirring up occasionally.

In the mean time you’re gonna rip up that bacon like it owes you money. Chop it , crumble it, pound it in a ziplock bag, whatever then your gonna add the bacon back in along with your cans of creamed corn and stir that mess all up.

Pretend you are on a cooking show and throw some random spices and stuff in there. I like dill a lot apparently. Probably cause it’s a funny sounding name. Then you can add about half that cheese block. Cut it into slices and add it in and let it all cook for a few more minutes. Stir once in a while.

Then very slowly add your cream in and reduce to a simmer. I like the heavy cream because why not make this more unhealthy then it already is, but if you’re health conscious you can use the reduced fat too. Give it a slow stir and gaze upon the feast before you.

Because you’re done. You’re lazy, but delicious chowder is complete and ready for consumption.

Yay.

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kim
      Blocked

Thanks for sharing. I love chicken corn chowder! I don’t eat bacon or cheese so would probably just use chicken instead and then use the rest of the ingredients. I haven’t made it before so want to try it!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Angelika_Zen
        Participant

Mmmmmm crispy bacon….the only thing better than bacon, is cooking something else in bacon grease!!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe dude!! I’m gonna give it a go!!

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Bodine
          Participant

That sounds very good,will try it.Especially for the winter coming.Thanks for sharing.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Mary
            Participant

Sounds delicious, DF! I’ll give the recipe a try. Corn & bacon two of my favorites. Can’t go wrong with either one

Bodine
              Participant

Grilled onions in bacon fat,how could you go wrong?

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodancia
                Participant

Not only does this sound yummy, your recipe is an entertaining read! ! ! Sounds great! I’m going to give this a go!

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

LOL! I have a very bad *uncensored* video version of me making this somewhere on Facebook with my horrible Boston/Italian mish mash accent. It was just for laughs really but the recipe is real and really hard to screw up because there’s no *exact measurements* for much of anything.

I’m never the one to bust out the measuring cup for anything (which is probably why I suck at cooking) I’m a lazy cook. I’m like… hmm…. calls for a cup and a half… *fills pot directly under faucet, or pours directly from carton* Yea that looks about right… while my boyfriend has a thousand dishes in the sink because he has everything all measured out in individual little bowls like he’s on a damn cooking show.

I guess this should really be called “drag0n is lazy and has no dishwasher corn chowder”

Oh and Kim, chicken would work instead of bacon I am sure, and the cheese isn’t necessary either, but it’s my “secret ingredient” if you wanna call it that. I think it’s half because that’s how I was taught to make it and also half I like to eat the other half of the block like a hand fruit because I’m just a hot mess around with that much bacon and cheese in my presence. LOL

Got a busted Windstone?
                    drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin
                    Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                    Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                    Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                    Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                    Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                    Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

sherry10151982
                    Participant

You had me at cheese and bacon!!

pipsxlch
                      Participant

Sounds really good! And I’m bad about guesstimating amounts sometimes, but I haven’t poisoned anyone yet…

Just because I make my Nana’s fried cabbage still (mmm love cabbage!) and it starts the same way, an even easier and lazier way to do the bacon is if you can find packages of the ends and pieces in your grocer. Cooks up the same, but you don’t have as much breaking it up when you go to add it back in. And oddly enough, it seems to be more meat/less fat than the strips.

Angelika_Zen
                        Participant

What is this “Nana’s fried cabbage”????

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

pipsxlch
                          Participant

My grandmother cooked cabbage by frying it. The ‘recipe’- nothing was really measured, though she was precise with most of her recipes, even though they were on her head- is rather similar to Drag0n’s corn but with cabbage. I can give the recipe if anyone wants it. I love it, but I don’t cook it as often as I’d like. It takes a little time and with all that bacon fat is greasy. But yummy!

Kim
                            Blocked

Well after a couple years of selling instant pots for the holidays I decided to keep one for myself so now I’m going to try making this in my new instant pot. I just bought chicken and corn and the other ingredients. I should post my dad’s Hungarian chicken recipe sometime too. It’s so good! Does anyone else use an instant pot too? I’m part of a group that has a million recipes on Facebook.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Melody
                              Keymaster

Ha, you are better than me! My specialty is boiled spaghetti with canned pasta sauce. John does all the cooking.

Suzanne-Marie
                                Participant

Making your corn chowder tomorrow Drag0nfeathers; is sounds soooooo good!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.