The Deterring of the Undeterrable Dandy

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion The Deterring of the Undeterrable Dandy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

This is a short story I wrote a while ago, but it’s only now that I’ve gotten up the guts to spread it about. If anyone’s bored and looking for something to read… well, here you go!

It’s very lighthearted, and intended to make you smile. My biggest concern over it is that the style gets a little tiresome after the second paragraph– that it’s a little too exhuberant.

Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this! Any critique is welcome. Just let me know what you think!

Story here: http://moontiger.deviantart.com/art/The-Dandy-and-the-Fop-75427935

Maria
    Participant

I’m going to have to finish reading it next week, after I get back from Germany. It starts out amusing and easy. The only thing that bugged me was the sudden switch to present tense when you’re describing the Fop.

pipsxlch
      Participant

I enjoyed it very much! Well suited for each other indeed!

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I’m going to have to finish reading it next week, after I get back from Germany. It starts out amusing and easy. The only thing that bugged me was the sudden switch to present tense when you’re describing the Fop.

Hai! I’ll look over that bit again. There are a few choppy areas, but I sort of don’t want to prod the thing too much for fear of ruining what’s there–a fear I need to get over when editing stuff.

Thanks for reading! Please let me know what you think once you’ve made it through the whole thing.

Maria
        Participant

It’s true you can tweak a thing so much it gets ou of shape, but believe me, that takes a lot of work. 😆

Maria
          Participant

Okay, ideas:

In this sentence

Quote:

“Heard it in Spain,” said the Fop, who had of course never been to Spain.

I would leave out the “of course.” That would make the whole statement drier and more amusing.

You’re missing periods after

Quote:

inexplicably familiar

Quote:

horse’s nose

and

Quote:

breaking it

as well as a few more later on. 😉

I would change

Quote:

sympathy, I’ve heard, is man’s most common downfall.

It makes you, the narrator, a character in the story, which you’re not. “It is said” would work better.

When you say

Quote:

dying heifer

, it doesn’t really fit, since a heifer is a young female bovine, while the Dandy is male. “Calf” or “steer” would probably fit better.

I hope this helps. I enjoyed the story. You’re good at British humor.

Wow, thank you for all the input. Unfortunately, the missing periods must have been lost in the transition from wordperfect to deviantArt–I’ve already fixed a few others, must have missed those.

As for the other things, yep, you’re absolutely right. These are the sort of things that have to be pointed out by a second person, sometimes. I’ll fix them.

Maria
            Participant

Yeah, I figured the periods were due to an electronic glitch. 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.