fbpx

The Chores We Don't Want to Do

Home Forums Miscellany Community The Chores We Don't Want to Do

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    KoishiiKitty
    Participant

Ok, this is a bit of a plug. I got a friend of mine signed up for blogspot. She wanted to do a blog about that things most of us do not like doing, house cleaning. It would be discussing the use of different products, where to find them cheap and how to use them in ways you may not have thought of, and how to make hard to clean things simple. So I thought I would share the link with you guys in case some of you might be interested. ๐Ÿ™‚

http://svihulas.blogspot.com/

WolfenMachine
      Participant

Aww, her page is cute! I dont have a blogspot account, but I recently discovered that plain ole white vinegar cleans battery acid WONDERFULLY! I had an old clock that was CRUSTED with battery acid. After digging the battery out and disposing of it, I put a little vinegar on a Q-Tip and it bubbled and fizzed like Hydrogen Peroxide on a wound, and no more acid! O.O It was cool! Ive got some old battery powered toys I had as a kid that have bad battery acid leakage-I cant wait to get them clean and working again!

White vinegar also works really well on burnt cooking pans. Put water in the pan about 1/2 way up the pan, and about 1/2 cup of vinegar and boil it, then put it in the sink and pour in some baking soda. It will froth up and sizzle, and when it stops, put in some more baking soda and keep repeating until it stops fizzing. Use a spoon to scrape the bottom, then repeat the process until the burnt stuff is really loose, then scrub with a scotchbrite. It takes some work but it will save the pan. Most of the time, the burnt stuff will start floating to the top.

twindragonsmum
        Participant

Baking soda is also great for cleaning silver, especially jewelry. Get a clean, white handkerchief or a white flour sack towel – the sort used for drying dishes – lay the cloth across your upturned palm, put the silver in the cloth and sprinkle liberally with baking soda. Fold the cloth over the items(s) and gently rub the baking soda onto the jewelry. Works especially well for those items made of “liquid” silver, and the nice thing is that you don’t have to get it wet. It does make a sqeeky sound when being rubbed, but the results are great!

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜€

tdm

Skeeterdeee
          Participant

Stubborn Stain Tip:
            If you get a little bit of blood on your clothes, car upholstery, or any other fabric, dab some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball on it and it will take it right out. Basically, treat the fabric the way you would treat the wound itself. My hubby works in a metal grinding shop, so I had to figure out some way to rescue his workshirts. (I’ve never tried it on dark clothing, but it works great on light colors and any car upholstery)

Christine
            Participant

Baking soda is also great for cleaning silver, especially jewelry.

For sure! It takes care of tarnished Windstone horns like magic too! Make a paste with a little baking soda and water, and _very_ gently polish with a q-tip. The horn will look new again. ๐Ÿ™‚ If any gets stuck in grooves or ridges, just let it dry and brush off with a soft paintbrush.

Elena
              Participant

For all the parents here…

Baking soda and water will take Sharpie Marker off of a wood door and not destroy the finish (found this out when my niece got a hold of one and ‘decorated’ mums front door)

A bit of lighter fluid on a rag (do this OUTSIDE) will take sharpie marker off of plastic

Those stubborn yellow stains under the armpits…
                ***Do this in a well ventilated place
                1 cup of powder dishwasher detergent,
                1 cup of bleach
                5 – 6 gallons of hot water
                Mix everything together and add stained whites. Swish and squish the laundry around to wet it all wet. Leave for anywhere from 1hr to overnight. Remove items and Wash laundry as normal.
                Can be done in your laundry sink, bath tub, a big bucket or even in the tub of the washer (but not in front loaders.)
                DO NOT USE ON COLORED FABRICS!

If you hate Febreeze…
                in a spray bottle combine 1 part plain vodka and 1 part water. Works as a deodorizer on practically any fabric surface and leaves no scent.

Why iron when you can steam the wrinkles out of your clothing! And you don’t need an expensive steamer.
                – Hang your clothes up in the bathroom when you have a hot shower
                – Put your wet item (make sure it can go in the dryer first!) in the dryer for 2-3 minutes, just enough to get warm, then hang to dry.

WolfenMachine
                Participant

Also, my poor Husky found her way into the path of a skunk. I dont think she got sprayed directly, but she smells. I tried bathing her and it didn’t work.

I found this article
                  http://dogs.about.com/od/caringfordogsandpuppies/ht/deskunking.htm

It looks promising! I will be trying it as soon as possible X_X

Adaneth
                  Participant

Also, my poor Husky found her way into the path of a skunk. I dont think she got sprayed directly, but she smells. I tried bathing her and it didn’t work.

I found this article
                    http://dogs.about.com/od/caringfordogsandpuppies/ht/deskunking.htm

It looks promising! I will be trying it as soon as possible X_X

My mom’s German Shepherd has run afoul of skunks a few times in the last few years, and she’s found you have to get ALL of the skunk spray cleaned up, to be free of the smell. In her case, that meant also cleaning up inside her dog’s nose! Wish I could remember the name of the stuff she used…

Adaneth
                    Participant

My mom got back to me, she uses ‘Nature’s Miracle Skunk Odor Remover’, sold at Petsmart. She also has used the home remedy with peroxide, baking soda, dish soap, etc.

I hope you can kill the stench!

Kiya
                      Participant

Sunscreen will remove permanent markers off your skin.

Especially useful for toddlers who draw on their own face before pictures or family outtings.

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

I despise cleaning the bathroom, ‘specially since it’s all boys but me *sigh* So I usually have to bribe myself to do it…. I collect tiaras (’cause they’re shiney and sparkly :love: ) So the bribe is getting to wear one (or possibly two, sometimes three) If I clean all three bathrooms I wear my 3 favorite tiaras all at the same time and really crank up some ’80’s music, scurry through all three and am done in record time. It can be a bit embarrassing when the fedex guy needs you to sign for something and you come to the door still wearing all 3 tiaras and your rubber gloves and a dripping toilet scrubber….

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜‰

tdm

Laurie
                          Participant

Only you Beckums. ๐Ÿ˜‰ What’s ironing? and I don’t wash floors cause my hubby does them in a thong. lolol

Skeeterdeee
                            Participant

…and really crank up some ’80’s music

That’s the only way the cleaning gets done in my house!! :bigsmile:

Tara
                              Participant

Got items like fleece that have matted up? Use a lint brush(not the roller). It works great for making fleece fuzzy again. It can take a bit of work but it can make things look almost new again as long as they’re not too far gone. I think it would also work restoring suede that’s become matted or shiny without damaging it since lint brushes are effectively just stiff velvet and have no real bristles. I’d test it but I don’t really have suede to test it on since I prefer smooth leather.

And always wash anything fuzzy in cold water!! Warm water mats fleece worse than the dryer does. I used to think that it was the dryer matting my fleece but I discovered that even when I didn’t throw it in the dryer it would still mat up. I switched to cold water and poof my matting problem significantly reduced. I throw my ultra plush blankets and fleece in the dryer all the time with minimal damage(just don’t over dry it) but one wash in warm water and they look like crap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.