Tell me about Windstones :)

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Tell me about Windstones :)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Landipan
    Participant

Zexious – I knew it! I actually looked into my past trades in Chicken Smoothie and it looks like I have traded with you before, it is a small world.

I totally get that about wanting your first Windstone to be special, I still treasure my first one (sorta my first one, I had to trade my original GB fox for it), it’s the GB pebble Fennec in my avatar, which was also my very first forray into Grabbags and grab bag trading!

Can’t wait to see what you end up getting as your first piece, it’ll be the start of an awesome collection!

*Formerly meowmix101
      Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Nightcrow
      Participant

I definitely think a first Windstone should be special!  When I was buying my very first dragon, I waited and saved for longer just so my first could be one of the “big ones.” (Now they’re kind of medium-sized, but back then the Scratcher, Lap, Old Warrior, and Spectrals weren’t around; the Male and Mother were the big dragons!)  I could have bought one sooner if I went for a smaller piece like the Young Dragon, but I really wanted that first Windstone purchase to be impressive.  The Mother has such an expressive face, and the eyes really appear to be looking at you no matter where you stand in a room; she made a huge impact on me and I knew I had to have her and her partner as the foundation of my collection.

Is there a specific species, or color, that you’re drawn to?  I always love to hear how people make the decision for a first piece, or a ‘first piece in a new branch’ of a collection.  (I’ve always loved griffins, but my Windstone collection was completely dragon-focused for a long time because I was determined to complete it.  My first Griffin didn’t happen until the Black Sunset color came out.  I was so blown away by it I knew I *had* to have it!  So I went and wheedled a local store into carrying Windstones so I could order one!)

And, since you don’t have a Windstone (yet!), what are your Breyer ‘specialties’ or interests?  It’s great to run into another Breyer collector!  My collection is much reduced from its former glory, but on the other hand a few years ago I got interested in resins and now have ~5 Akhal-Teke resins from various artists; they’re my favorite breed!  Do you specialize your collection by breed, or color, or some other factor?

[b]Edit:[/b]  I just realized that my post before this one isn’t showing up!  I posted pictures of my first test paint Old Warrior, like you requested.  I know it went through, because I saw it after posting!  But it appears to be gone now.  🙁

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Bodine
        Participant

Good ol’ Razorback was my first Ebay special.

My first Windstone is the white coiled mother w/egg because it was the cheapest and nicest for the price I could afford.

These are Toasted Pearl test paints{except the L.P.Curlie} by Ms.Melody.

The curlies were released in a small batch in the store.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

dashesndots
          Participant

Hi there – I’m another model horse collector who now dabbles in Windstones 🙂 (Also dashesndots on Blab).

The first I had heard of Windstones was in 2012 or 2013, when someone shared a PYO dragon they were working on in a thread on Blab.  I looked up the website and was intrigued, but kind of forgot about them for several years.

Then I was reminded of them a few years later (don’t remember how). Started checking the website frequently, and managed to snag a Grab Bag Gothic Unicorn in April 2016….and it’s all been downhill from there! 😉  My faves are the Spectrals, Male Dragon, Mother Coiled Dragon, Male Kirin and the Griffins.

I think I’m up to 18 pieces now, in a year and a half of collecting (I need to take an updated photo) – they ARE like potato chips, haha.

etruscan
            Participant

The post by Zexious isn’t showing either … The last thing I see is by dashesndots

Angelika_Zen
              Participant

I know what you guys mean when you talk about how meaningful your first creature is, or want it to be.  I was aware of most things the company produced, but didnt know they came in so many colours. Then, when I found the forum, I couldnt believe all the test paints. I think my very first post in the community section was ” what happens to all the test paints?” Which i now find hilarious, because back then,  I actually thought they were stock piled in the factory like a museum. My very first test paint was Golden Koi oriental moon dragon, painted by Melody. I spent a pretty penny on her, but wouldnt sell her for 10 x what i paid. She is very special. Equally important to me, are the oldies my parents gave me, and got me started on my collection. They are like new, despite having owned them for 30 years.

This is an older picture, but thats her, at the back wearing her fuzzy hat 🙂

[IMG]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1322/13763651/24789819/413642469.jpg[/IMG]

My second test paint is that picture as well…Golden Pearl male dragon, painted by Patricia Smith (back left).

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Zexious
                Participant

Landipan – Thanks to you I have discovered the handy ‘gallery’ link on people’s pages. You have some really stunning pieces! Did you paint some of them yourself?

Nightcrow – Uuuughhh; I think that’s the most difficult question I’ve been asked so far!
                  I love, love, LOVE the little armadillo, but am under the impression that it’s a discontinued sculpt. Beyond that, there really isn’t much I don’t like! I think the Oriental dragons are beautiful, I love all of the equines (Ki-rin included), love the western type dragons, and like the more ‘normal’ animals as well! As far as colors go, I like just about everything there as well… I love jewel tones, neons, pastels, monochromes…the only thing I really don’t like are earth tones, but that doesn’t generally extend to animals. Really, I’m not helping myself narrow anything down. However, there are three things I can say that I love for sure: surprises, rarities, and cute things. So I’ll probably ultimately settle on a grab bag, an ebay auction, and any of the baby creatures.
                  As far as model horses go, there is pretty much no rhyme or reason to my collection xD I collect all makes (AR, CM, CMG, and OF Breyers, Stones, and Chinas) and all sizes. I had a pretty big (400-500) collection in my adolescence, but packed them all up in totes when I moved out for college. I’m slowly going through the totes, trying to parse it down so it’s smaller and easier to enjoy. …All while I’m still buying, of course (I have a problem xD) I just purchased a Stone Pebbles ASB who’s just lovely <3
                  Akhal-Tekes are such beautiful horses! Which sculpts do you have? Do you attend shows at all? 🙂 I’m bummed the photos aren’t working D; I love drooling over everyone’s gorgeous collections!

Bodine – STUNNING!
                  I’m really taken by that lovely white dragon… Is that the “Lap Dragon”?

EDIT – I forgot to ask the questions I had come up with D:

-Do Grab Bags often sell out? How quickly does that generally happen?
                  -Are there always ‘test’ or ‘ooak’ auctions going on in the eBay store, or just sometimes?

I’m trying to get a grasp on how quickly I need to act when something pops up that I simply can’t live without 😉

(Let’s see if my post works this time around ;O;!)

Landipan
                  Participant

Thank you! And yes, all the PYOs in my gallery were painted by me, I actually have another Hippocampus PYO on it’s way to me now so I’ll have yet another to add to the gallery soon.

As for the GB questions: It really depends on how popular the GB is and how many pieces are in the GB that depends on how fast it sells out. Though I think in recent years GBs have stayed in stock a little longer than when I first started participating in them(upwards a few days to a few weeks), I remember when I bought my GB Fennec fox, there were like 40 pieces(which is a really low amount in comparison to GBs these days) in the GB and they stayed in stock for about less than an hour! But nowadays Melody paints more pieces for each GB so they last longer in the store.

And for the test paints/OOAKs, I think there’s usually at least one or two on eBay, they seem to come out fairly regularly. But I don’t keep up with them very much, other than to drool over specific color schemes, as I can never afford any of them lol.

*Formerly meowmix101
                    Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Angelika_Zen
                    Participant

About GBs and how long they stay in stock, it depends on their price too (thinking about GBYs, cougars, etc) as some of them are quite  expensive to be purchased sight unseen. Something else that factors in to how long hey last, is if it’s 1 per customer. They might hang around in the store for a couple of days before the limit is lifted, then they usually end up in carts quickly, then poof, they’re gone.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Nightcrow
                      Participant

Oops!  Asking tough questions, huh.  Well, if you like surprises and a wide range of colors, grab bags are a good way to go!  They do tend to sell out quickly – and often have a “one per household” limit when released.  If there’s a large number of them and they don’t sell out immediately, the limit is sometimes dropped.  And a few, like the recent Koi Coiled and Autumn Coiled grab bags, are very large and a purchase limit is never set.  How many items are in a given grab bag varies a lot, and mostly depends on how difficult they are to paint – I know at least one GB ended up with fewer than planned because once Melody started painting them, she found them very hard to do!  So she ended up painting fewer than she had originally intended.  It seems some sculpts are better than others for GBs.  🙂

Ebay releases vary, too; sometimes there’s 1-2 on there, sometimes none.  I don’t know if they have a particular schedule, or a quota per time period, or if it’s just what Melody and the factory painters feel up to – that would be a good question for the “Ask Melody” forum, actually!  😀  I’d love to know the answer.

Your model horse collection sounds amazing!  I used to have a lot more, but after moving all over and then buying my own house last year, I let most of them go; I felt they weren’t being appreciated and it was time to stop telling myself that they’d get displayed “once I had a place” – I now have a place, and it’s just not big enough for everybody!  But I kept my resins, some sentimental pieces, and few whose color I just adore, two Connoisseurs, and my boxed BreyerFest models.   I don’t show, but as a kid I was a regular BreyerFest attender!  (I call them my Breyers, but there are some Stones mixed in, plus the resins, of course!)

My Akhal resins are Kara-Kush, the original Eberl Akhal, Thompson’s Akhal, Ekemen, and Tokhtamysh.  Only the Eberl is painted as of right now!   (Any resin collectors reading this, want to trade a Tokhtamysh for a Garayusup or  Genç?! )  I thought I had a Kiska, too, but apparently not.  I dream of one day owning an Apple Techie, Yarka, Tuvaksholeh, Luka, Atalar Sevda, and/or Almaz-Bek, too!

Trying again to post my OW (with apologies for photo quality; these pictures are from 2007 when I got him, several digital cameras ago):

BVP Prototype OW, facing left

And here he is with the Production Lap; you can see the differences between the test version and the released version of this color!

BVP Lap and OW on a shelf

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Angelika_Zen
                        Participant

Nightcrow, what’s the difference  between your OW (prototype) and the ones that are cast now? I can’t tell…

…they’re gorgeous btw 🙂

GardenNinja
                          Participant

I’ve been posting the eBay pictures on the threads here for a little over a year now IIRC. The eBay schedule used to be a bit irregular, then stopped altogether when Pam left. Once they found a new person (people?) to set up the auctions, they were doing two a day for a while, I guess to catch up the ones that accumulated. But all the time I’ve been doing it, it has been very regular one a day. Every now and then, a day gets missed. They used to be seven day auctions, so there would be seven up at a time. Some time this year or last, they switched to three day auctions, so now there are normally three auctions up at a time.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Nightcrow
                            Participant

The main differences are the amount of green, and the shades of green!  There is a lot more green on the production BVP than the prototype; and the prototype has none of the bright “lime” green that ended up in the production BVP, he only has the “emerald” green paint for his green areas.  (Maybe because there are fewer paint colors competing for space, he also has a lot more violet than the Lap – appropriate, since it’s Black *Violet* Peacock!)

And thanks!  I think they’re lovely, too.  🙂  Though I seem to have subconsciously decided that having OWs and Laps that “almost” match is my thing… I also have the Obsidian Frost OW and a Blue Morpho Lap who look great together.

etruscan
                              Participant

In terms of the castings themselves, the “prototype” Old Warrior has his head actually touching his wings and he has more “battle damage” marks on his body.

Zexious
                                Participant

dashesndots – I recognize you as well! It’s so funny that there’s so many (I mean, four seems like a lot!) of us that also collect model horses.
                                  What’s your favorite piece–in both collections? 🙂

etrusan – Yeah, I think it was because I edited it that it got deleted )8 But then, after the edited version disappeared, I couldn’t post again for a few hours? Ugh!

Angelika – Gorgeous!! And that stone (admittedly, I don’t know anything about gems, so I couldn’t name it for the life of me) suits her so well.
                                  What’s up with the hats–I think there was another post on here where Windstones were wearing them? I love them, and think they’re just the cutest thing!
                                  And thanks for the GB info! I still have a lot to learn; I guess there’s probably many factors that go into how long something will hang around in the store, and it’ll just be a matter of experiencing it. If there’s a release every 4-6(ish) weeks, we’re probably coming up on another one, right? Or will it maybe not be until the first of the year?

Nightcrow – Yaaaas Kara Kush <3 I think Akhal Tekes are such a fabulous breed, I wish the real thing were more popular in the states. I was a Breyerfest goer too, back in the day! I haven’t been in many years, but am considering going again.
                                  And, honestly, I can’t get over how beautiful your OW is! I had a “dragon hide” journal as a child, and his colors remind me of it so much! I always thought it was so beautiful, but it pales in comparison to your handsome fella! Do you name your pieces? Do any of them come with names? (aside from the color-scheme name)

Landipan – Less than an hour! Ack! I have supreme #fomo, and buy into just about anything that’s limited edition or advertised as special (probably why my makeup collection is so out of hand!) I have to jump on it.
                                  Do you cm models, too? I can’t get over how stunning your work is! Do people ever offer commissions to paint PYOs?

Garden – Very helpful, thank you! I’ve really enjoyed drooling over the releases!

_________

I’ve really enjoyed drooling over the eBay releases!
                                  It seems like there have been a lot of dragons (with a few oriental brothers sprinkled in)–is that always the case? Or do other species occasionally pop up as test pieces in the eBay store?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.