fbpx

Tablet Advice? Anyone?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Tablet Advice? Anyone?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lokie
    Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

(People tend to borrow unprotected networks…. πŸ‘Ώ )

YUP! When my brother first got wireless and left it unprotected, a car parked outside his house for a couple hours every night. Once he password protected it, for some reason the car (and the driver with his laptop) didn’t come around anymore πŸ™„

purpledragonclaw
      Participant

This connection sounds like it’s unprotected. And yes, people do tend to borrow connections. I’ve done it myself, but I’m trying to find hotspots now so I don’t jack someone else’s connection. That’s basically stealing.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

You know there are folks that will drive around and scan for unencrypted networks, with their laptop in their car, and use those connections? Sometimes it’s harmless internet usage, sometimes it’s not harmless at all. And guess what? Since it’s the IP ‘belongs’ to the person they are stealing internet from, any illegal or problematic activities becomes the unwitting person’s fault. Encrypt your wireless πŸ˜‰

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Jasmine
          Participant

First thing we did after hooking up… πŸ˜€

Pegasi1978
            Participant

I agree that if your wireless isn’t encrypted that you should do so as soon as you can. When we got our wireless router the first thing we did when we set it up was create a nice tight password (a combo of numbers, letters, special characters and capitals).

Oh boy, so, my computer is at Stapes. They apparently couldn’t look at my computer on Friday so hopefully Tuesday I’ll get a phone call from them. They told me they would call me either Friday or Monday. But, Monday being a holiday I really don’t expect a call. I was so embarrassed, I forgot to clean up the outside (under the faceplate). Oh you could really tell I have long haired cats. So they are going to dust it as well. Oops….

I’m really hoping it was the drivers. I don’t want to find out I had a trojan horse hiding out.

I thought I encrypted my signal…. I’ll have to look into it when I get my computer back, maybe I turned off the password. I didn’t even think to check. I don’t remember putting in a password lately so I guess I did. That’ll teach me. 😳

I have a wacom bamboo fun and love it. It’s way better than the graphire2 I used to have. I think I paid about $100 for it…

Pegasi1978
              Participant

Our computers were set up the first time to remember the password for the wireless router (though we have the password written down somewhere). That way we don’t have to enter it each and every time.

I finally have my computer back. Good news nothing at all is wrong with it.

It still needs cleaned. Even though when I brought it in we discussed dusting, with the understanding that they would do it. I even mentioned it today when I called about it. But, I guess he didn’t have time. Now I’ll have to pull it apart and try to do it myself. When I went to pick it up today the person who got it asked me if I’d like them to do it. But, I don’t want to go without a computer another day. Plus, driving across the city to get it. Oh well…. It can’t be that hard… right?

So, I called Rogers to tell them about this and I was told “Oh your account was cleared yesterday, they determined that your computer isn’t sending out the signal anymore….” Ok, fine but, why didn’t they email or call? :shrug: At least I know that there is nothing wrong. Except for dust… ($40 to find this out and another 25 if they had dusted it) Lucky for me I just got my income tax back.

Zelda
                Participant

Romeodanny, best of luck with the virus problem! I feel scared and relieved at the same time whenever my antivirus program catches something.

Concerning tablets, I have an old Wacom Digitizer II. It’s HUGE, 12X12, which is perfect for me since I just can’t get used to the teensy ones. Unfortunately when I upgraded to Windows Vista, it became unusable! Wacom has no drivers for tablets that connect to a serial port in Vista, and I’m heartbroken that I have to draw with a mouse now πŸ™ Serial drivers for WinXP don’t work, and neither do USB drivers for Vista. Anybody have any ideas as to how I could get mine working again?

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

I’m glad your computer is okay. You should really double check and make sure your wireless is secured/encrypted (this goes for everyone that has wireless! πŸ˜€ ). If you are not sure how, you can have a tech savvy friend do it, or if you are feeling ambitious you can find a guide on how to do it online.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

purpledragonclaw
                    Participant

Romeo, I’m glad your computer was cleared! Staples wanted $25 to dust it?!? You can definitely do it yourself. And make sure to encrypt your router!

I looked up how to clean it on the internet and everything is clear except how to open the case. I have to dig up my book and look it up. I hope it’s somewhere in the instructions. I’ll do that on Saturday. I hope I don’t mess anything up doing it though…. It does sound easy though.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.